Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Be patient, my own personal review of the BDP-103 is coming eventually.
I want to have at least one month of use (every single day) before I commit.
I am taking notes almost every day, for the last two weeks now.

And believe it or not I am still at the original firmware that came with my player (September 2012).
I did not upgrade because I don't have a single issue yet for my personal use. :b
{If you don't encounter any problem, don't try to create one. Just make sure you don't miss on the essence: worthwhile features and beneficial performance improvements; in particular on the picture/sound quality.}

So far this is the best Blu-ray player of all my other Blu-ray players, even from one which cost me $800 (MSRP was $1,000), with the HQV Reon video processor.
But that was a long time ago when BD players were up to $1,000 (regular ones, not high-end ones).

You'll see, I bet some high-end manufacturers are going to use the 103 as their new platform for their high priced BD players ($3,000 to $10,000). The higher prices ones based on the BDP-105, of course. ...But with their own implementation and higher quality parts and power supplies.

P.S. My own review should be short, less than 100,000 words.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Update :: This Review is Now Complete ::

---- Oppo BDP-105 Universal Player - Secrets Review - Fully Completed: Audio Side

* Keep a close eye on the rest of that review (in testing right now). :b

Just click on that first line from the above quote for the full review now completed; AUDIO portion of the BDP-105.

* But more is to come for the VIDEO portion, which will be contained in the Oppo BDP-103's review, and which shares the same video processors as in the BDP-105, and with the bench test results. And part of that review will also relate to the Audio side.
It should come out real soon now. ...Again from Secrets. ...And by Chris, another reviewer from that website.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I wonder how long before they turn this "box" into a full SSP with either integrated electronics or a stand beside (or below) box a la ADA. Integrate someones room correction, add some more external controls (volume, trim, distance, etc) and "bingo" new product.

With the price/performance of their existing Bluray player offerings, they could become a scary competitor to the "big boy" SSP companies if they can do the same thing with an expanded product suite !!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- From what we can see and hear so far, I'd say Oppo is leading a large segment of the innovation industry.

I truly believe that we are already at the threshold of revolutionary audio and video for the masses.
High-end days are getting more and more a niche market place for the 'uninitiated'.
Oh good stuff for high prices can be found for sure, but with how much percentage better in only one or two aspects of the entire 'chain gang'? ...Features that truly perform, no glitches, and constant support.

Yeah, Meridian, Classe, Krell, Esoteric, and all have some great products, for the 'right clientele'.

Important to remember here: this thread is about Universal Blu-ray players, and not about speakers or amps. ...The newer Oppo players.

BUT! The amazing story now is that the 105 is also a great preamp, and DAC! ...High-res, high-def music/video server/streamer. ...High-end headphone amp.
Indeed, how long before it also includes a state-of-the-art Room EQ & Calibration system?
...And analog inputs?

BTW, every single day that I use my 103 I am happy. ...And me too I can use it as a preamp if I want to.

* Yesterday (last night), I did an alternative; from the Audio Format Setup, on the SACD Output, I changed my previous DSD selection to PCM (88.2 kHz).
And just so that you know, my pre/pro can accept the DSD stream pure.

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
What I like about modding the Oppo is it takes a great under $5K universal player into a great $10K+ player. A world class Swiss Army knife!

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
-- And Jim, what's the total cost of a modded one? ...The 105.

Tubed or/and SSed?

Oh I am tube all the way since I will be using my MacBook Pro also. I am the very first 105 Dan is doing, so I don't know cost. I have a SS amp, semi tube pre, and this will be my 2nd tube source. My first was years ago, a cap. modded Conrad Johnson Premier DAC 9. I loved that DAC.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Oppo Remote App for iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oppo-remote/id584701552

Works well, I paused the unit to answer a call upstairs then resumed playing using my iPhone without going back down.

So far, the out-of-the-box sound with XLR is pretty close to the broken-in BDP-95. I'm still confused with the HDMI/DSD issue and using both HDMI connector to my Classe SSP-800 sometimes works and sometimes hangs the pre-pro (even though I can specific with HDMI input connector is for audio and video).

The sounds seems a wee bit more detailed and less overly airy. I preferred the BDP-95 over using the DAC in the SSP-800 but on the BDP-105 it now depends on the disc. Some discs sound great with XLR out and bypass mode on the pre-pro while some discs sound good using the pre-pro's processing (warmer and fuller). Haven't had a chance to try a Blu-Ray disc yet.

-Hedwig

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

So far, the out-of-the-box sound with XLR is pretty close to the broken-in BDP-95. I'm still confused with the HDMI/DSD issue and using both HDMI connector to my Classe SSP-800 sometimes works and sometimes hangs the pre-pro (even though I can specific with HDMI input connector is for audio and video).

-Hedwig

---- Could you please tell me how exactly you use both HDMI outputs of your 105,
and going into your Classe 800 pre/pro's HDMI inputs?

From your 105's Setup Menu:

1. Video Setup - Dual HDMI Output = ?
2. Video Setup - Output Resolution = ?

3. Audio Format Setup - HDMI Audio = ?
4. Audio Format Setup - SACD Output = ?

* Your Classe SSP-800, does it take a DSD audio stream directly; pure? No it does not, only PCM.
* Do you use bass management for your stereo music listening?
* Are you into multichannel high-res audio?
* High-def Video?

- If you can describe precisely your settings, your connections, and how both components interact with each other for your own personal use (I assume you are strictly speaking Stereo listening here, and using the XLR balanced connections like you said; but if multichannel music is also part of the equation in your room, please tell me), perhaps I can help you to find the best method possible for your own use.

TIPS:

* Just in case; DSD is only available from the HDMI output #2 (Oppo 105). ...And is for Audio mainly (1080p DVD-Video upsampling too).
* And "PCM", I believe, is a better selection (SACD Output) than DSD. Select 'PCM'.
* And "Bitstream" is a better selection (HDMI Audio) than Auto. Select 'Bitstream'.
* Output Resolution (Video Setup): Select 1080p and not Auto.
* HDMI output #1 (Oppo 105) is for the best Picture (Video), and directly to your display.
...For Blu-ray movies; both 2D and 3D.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- HedgeHog, to help you out some more:

1. Click on this link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread
2. First post of the first page, on top; click on the fifth link: Unofficial BDP-103 FAQ
3. Scroll down a bit to section entitled: What are other useful resources?
4. Click on the link named: The BDP-103 Settings Checklist

* Follow the directives by selecting what it is best suggested (important to do so as you will not encounter any more issues).
And don't worry, those selections both apply to the 103 and 105.

** And if you're up to it, like me, read the entire thread, on top of all the links and reviews (and I did the same with the BDP-103 Official Owner's Thread).
...And I also did the same at various other websites (forums). ...And on past Oppo Universal Blu-ray players and Universal DVD players.

And I'm familar with Denon, Lexicon, Esoteric, Ayre, Camry, Accuphase, Classe, dCS, Krell, Meridian, McIntosh, Sony, Musical Fidelity, Balanced Audio Technology, Chord, Bryston, Burmester, Gamut, Electrocompaniet, Linn, Marantz, Mark Levinson, Sonic Frontiers (Anthem), MSB, Luxman, Muse, Naim, Pioneer, Rega, Primare, Integra, Wadia, Simaudio, Arcam, Cambridge, Music Hall, Cyrus, Creek, Philips, Onkyo, Quad, and few more.

Some from personal experience and others from extensive readings.

Last edited:

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Thx for the info, Bob. :) I've been following the thread on AVS as any other forums (in fact, I've owned the 83 and 95 so I've been following since then). I think "Sharp1080" is the only other Classe/Oppo owner who posts. Perhaps Mike (KahunaCanuck) will offer his insights as he also runs the SSP-800 and just got the 105.

For some inexplicable reason, after rebooting the Classe, everything is working. I tend to listend to 2ch via the XLR with HT Bypass while in MCH I use the HDMI audio and Discrete on the Classe.

So I still have Oppo:HDMI1 to Classe:HDMI4 and Oppo:HDMI2 to Classe:HDMI1 (just because of lengths of cable). Configured my "BD/DVD" configuration as Audio:HDMI audio and Video:HDMI4. Set the Oppo to DSD and split/HDMI with 1080p and volume at Fixed (always had these settings).

Played the Blu-Ray of Finding Nemo and it seems a bit sharper and richer in colour than the 95. Not sure if splitting video and audio helped or the 105 is just better or it's my imagination. Will try MCH audio tomorrow via HDMI. For the record, I don't bother with the single-ended connectors.

Anyhoo, I would say the 105 is a good purchase. Is it a smart purchase for 95 owners? Maybe, especially if you want to use it as an external DAC and/or connect headphones. I need to see if it's that much speedier, I haven't noticed. I'm now wondering instead of spending another $1200, if I spent that on the 95 with EVS or Modwright upgrades, will it be better. :confused:

-H

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

For some inexplicable reason, after rebooting the Classe, everything is working.

Right there, same for me the first time I used my 103, and since then no mass problemo. :b
{I did have two occasions with no sound at all from the HDMI #2 going to my pre/pro (on the very first day), but after rebooting (shutting off my pre/pro and HDTV) no issue since.}
=> My best guess: HDMI was looking for locking in solid. ...With new family (components in actual operation).

So I still have Oppo:HDMI1 to Classe:HDMI4 and Oppo:HDMI2 to Classe:HDMI1 (just because of lengths of cable). Configured my "BD/DVD" configuration as Audio:HDMI audio and Video:HDMI4. Set the Oppo to DSD and split/HDMI with 1080p and volume at Fixed (always had these settings).

You might want to try this from the Oppo:
1. SACD Output: PCM
2. Output Volume: Variable ... But I'm sure it don't matter.

* If you use the 105 for watching movies (Blu-rays), I highly recommend that you connect the Oppo's HDMI #1 output directly to your display (HDTV or front projector).
** Dual HDMI Output: Split A/V is then the proper setting, as you have it now selected.

Played the Blu-Ray of Finding Nemo and it seems a bit sharper and richer in colour than the 95. Not sure if splitting video and audio helped or the 105 is just better or it's my imagination. Will try MCH audio tomorrow via HDMI. For the record, I don't bother with the single-ended connectors.

Interesting coincidence as last night I watched this, in 3D:

-- 38766_medium.jpg

* The 105 has the same Marvell Qdeo Kyoto-G2 video processor than in the 95, BUT now that chip adds 4k upscaling, which is even better. :b
I'd say that the 105's picture, because of 4K, is better than the 95.

Anyhoo, I would say the 105 is a good purchase. Is it a smart purchase for 95 owners? Maybe, especially if you want to use it as an external DAC and/or connect headphones. I need to see if it's that much speedier, I haven't noticed. I'm now wondering instead of spending another $1200, if I spent that on the 95 with EVS or Modwright upgrades, will it be better. :confused:

-H

I totally agree with you; the 105 is marvellous, and a nice upgrade in both performance and more new great great features over the 95.
I don't want to deny the 95's owners their pride and joy, but if they want the best the 105 is it. ...In the same line and brand.
{I've seen a bunch of 95 for sale.}

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Oh, couple more things...

From the Oppo :: Video Setup:

1. TV Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Wide/Auto
2. Output Resolution: 1080p --> [Don't select "Auto"]
3. 1080p 24 Output: On
4. DVD 24p Conversion: On
5. HDMI Options: a) Color Space: 4:4:4 (for both HDMI #1 & HDMI #2)
-----------------b) Deep Color: Off (again, bor both HDMI outputs)

That's all, for now. :b

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Bob, is the Color Space setting the same for the 95?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, is the Color Space setting the same for the 95?

---- Which display are you using?

* For the Pioneer Elite Kuros, RGB seem to be the right selection for best (accurate) results.
- Front projectors, same I believe.

** All Blu-ray Discs are encoded as Y/Cb/Cr 4:2:0 and this conversion has to be done.

I am not an expert, and each brand of HDTV and projector is somehow different on what the preferred (best test results) setting is.
Panasonic plasmas (and Samsung plasmas I guess too) seem to sing along fine with Y/Cb/Cr 4:4:4

*** I went with what is the recommended setting (unofficial because I simply don't have the proper tools to accurately evaluate the color spacing of my display) in the 103 FAQ.
...Plus from reading all the posts from Bob Pariseau and other experts on this subject.
And I tell you this; it's not black & white, unless you yourself measure it with your own display.

I truly wish that we'd have a real expert here on this subject of "Color Spacing" stepping in.
Perhaps Amir would be able to shed some light as he's one here with great knowledge on the Video (and Audio too) equation from BD players and HDTV displays.

**** At the beginning my setting was Auto, then 4:2:2, and now 4:4:4
But don't ask me if I saw any difference. Like I said, I went with the recommended one from the average of most experts.
And you need an expert who knows your display (which brand, plasma or LED, or front projector).

- Your question is very good, and the real answer seems to be not so easy.

I'm here too to learn and share. :b

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing