TAS Article on Cartridge Set Up

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
You may be right. Again, at the risk of sounding a bit naive, I'd like to think that an "all Rega" system would be set up optimally, bringing out the most that the individual components are capable of.

I think that it wouldn't be practical to invest in a high quality usb microscope, although it looks like a dandy toy. Rather, search Los Angeles area for someone who does this sort of work.

Great article.

If you are using an all Rega turntable setup including a Rega cartridge then SRA is probably fairly close. The three point cartridge mounting of the Rega carts makes it hard to use anything but Rega's alignment. If you want to try a different alignment you can just use two screws. If you want to use a different brand cart then you need to use shims or an aftermarket VTA adjuster to get SRA right because most other brand carts are taller than Rega carts. You also need an alignment protractor to set alignment because nobody else uses Rega's three point cartridge mounting scheme.

If you are content with the sound of your all Rega setup then I would not worry about it.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

It's easy to caught up in everything when one sees how much there is to know out there.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Thanks for the reply.

It's easy to caught up in everything when one sees how much there is to know out there.

Cartridge setup is more critical when using carts with a more advanced stylus shape than the elliptical stylus on your cartridge. If you step up to a more demanding cartridge then you will definitely need to invest in the setup tools to get it right or have someone with the expertise do it for you. In the case of a Rega arm a VTA adjuster would be ideal.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Just finished setting up a cartridge with a Friekert style alignment tool and a micro camera. Im lacking precise azimuth adjustment and have been thinking about a Fozgometer. Do others on this site own this metre and what is your confident level in its accuracy?

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Just finished setting up a cartridge with a Friekert style alignment tool and a micro camera. Im lacking precise azimuth adjustment and have been thinking about a Fozgometer. Do others on this site own this metre and what is your confident level in its accuracy?

I have the Fozgometer and I like it, but it's very easy to over-shoot the sweet spot and end up adjusting in the wrong direction. Best bet is to level the headshell as much as is possible then make tiny adjustments CW and CCW to see how the measurements change before trying to dial it in. I've setup three different cartridges with it and was surprised to find how some of my high dollar MC carts weren't as square as their price tags would have suggested.

It's not the last word in azimuth adjustment and the Feickert software is most definitely a better approach, but the Fozgometer is easy to use and gets you really close.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
I have the Fozgometer and I like it, but it's very easy to over-shoot the sweet spot and end up adjusting in the wrong direction. Best bet is to level the headshell as much as is possible then make tiny adjustments CW and CCW to see how the measurements change before trying to dial it in. I've setup three different cartridges with it and was surprised to find how some of my high dollar MC carts weren't as square as their price tags would have suggested.

It's not the last word in azimuth adjustment and the Feickert software is most definitely a better approach, but the Fozgometer is easy to use and gets you really close.

Thanks Amp: I did not make myself clear; I'm thinking of purchasing a Fozgometer and was wondering about value/satisfaction. Cannot seem to find a retailer or cost for the 'Adjust+'. At present I simply placed a coffee stir stick (the stick’s weight was compensated for) across my Wilson Benesch arm and adjusted for parallel alignment. Would prefer an accurate setting verses this approximant eyeball setting.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Dre-

Outstanding job on JV's tables. Really enjoyed the article and watching you go through the setup routine. Looking forward to seeing you again in Denver this year, if not before.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Thanks Joe.

JV tried to capture as much of what I was doing while I was moving along. What is interesting is that I wasn't aware he was going to publish this until after the work was completed.

I did a similar setup (although a little less intense on my part) with Lloyd at RMAF the year he showed his table there. Of course watching Lloyd and Fred go through there final routine is always an interesting experiance.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Thanks Amp: I did not make myself clear; I'm thinking of purchasing a Fozgometer and was wondering about value/satisfaction. Cannot seem to find a retailer or cost for the 'Adjust+'. At present I simply placed a coffee stir stick (the stick’s weight was compensated for) across my Wilson Benesch arm and adjusted for parallel alignment. Would prefer an accurate setting verses this approximant eyeball setting.

You can find Adjust+ pricing here: http://shop.adjustplus.biz/

Dre

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

249euros for adjust+
see link below
http://shop.adjustplus.biz/product_info.php?products_id=29&osCsid=fb6485a5f088d5b1e8d373e43e04ecfa

soundsmith have something similar in the pipeline

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartright/index.html

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Hi Dre, Do you find that getting azimuth prefect with the Adjust+ helps the cartridge track better? Logically I would think that if the stylus sitting in the groove ideally it would be harder for it to overshoot the groove.

Sean

Hi Sean,

Sorry I missed your post. I didn't realize I hadn't replied to it. To answer your question... Yes, I do find that getting Azimuth aligned as best one can helps the cartridge to trace the groove better. An additional benefit is the spatial presentation takes on a more coherent picture. This is even more pronounced (but not necessary to observe) with Phase and Time aligned speakers in the system based on my experience.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I had the pleasure of meeting Andre and sitting next to him at the WBF dinner. It would be awesome if I could convince Andre to make the trek from Cincinnati to Indiana and have my cartridge set up by his expert hands. Andre, if you are reading this, the dinner of your choice will be awaiting you along with your favorite beverage!

Hi Mark, Not sure when or if I'll get to your neck of the woods. If I do, we can talk then.

However, If you want to put that sturdy SP10 in the car and travel across the state border one weekend, We may be able to work something out along with that nice dinner you mentioned of course! :) Additionally, I could take you to visit a couple of very different but also excellent sounding systems in the area after we've finished with the setup.

Dre

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Mark, Not sure when or if I'll get to your neck of the woods. If I do, we can talk then.

However, If you want to put that sturdy SP10 in the car and travel across the state border one weekend, We may be able to work something out along with that nice dinner you mentioned of course! :) Additionally, I could take you to visit a couple of very different but also excellent sounding systems in the area after we've finished with the setup.

Dre

Sounds like a plan if we could work out the details!

Mark

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Hi Sean,

Sorry I missed your post. I didn't realize I hadn't replied to it. To answer your question... Yes, I do find that getting Azimuth aligned as best one can helps the cartridge to trace the groove better. An additional benefit is the spatial presentation takes on a more coherent picture. This is even more pronounced (but not necessary to observe) with Phase and Time aligned speakers in the system based on my experience.

Dre

No worries Andre. I have not broke down and bought the Adjust+ yet but plan to when I get the chance. I like that it tells you how much distortion there is so you can work on minimizing it.

Sean

Podeschi

Dec 28, 2013
Portland OR
Thanks Joe.

JV tried to capture as much of what I was doing while I was moving along. What is interesting is that I wasn't aware he was going to publish this until after the work was completed.

I did a similar setup (although a little less intense on my part) with Lloyd at RMAF the year he showed his table there. Of course watching Lloyd and Fred go through there final routine is always an interesting experiance.

Dre

Hello. I live in portland oregon. If i bought your plane ticket and compensated you, any chance you could help me align some cartridges? (Goldfinger Statement onn spiral groove sg 1.1, benz lp-s on amg v12). Cheers
Darrin

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Hello. I live in portland oregon. If i bought your plane ticket and compensated you, any chance you could help me align some cartridges? (Goldfinger Statement onn spiral groove sg 1.1, benz lp-s on amg v12). Cheers
Darrin

Hi Darrin,

I sent you a response via private message.

Thanks,
Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing