Reliable Blue Ray Player

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Hi Jay,

Have you considered a PS3? It does all of that very well for under $300. I have 2 myself. Also, the Oppo BD-83 has received excellent reviews and doubles as a very good SACD player.

BTW, are you back in?

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Hi Fred,
No not yet, I will be back in on Wendesday. Yes I looked at the PS3 and the Oppo, in this setup I just need something to play movies. My 2 channel system and my home theater are two completely different worlds, and I am going to keep them like that.

Jay

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I certainly understand that. There are plenty of decent BluRay players out there. Just remember that the format is memory intensive, so getting a unit with speed is imperative. Just as important as picture and audio quality IMO.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Go with the Oppo BDP-80 and be done with... The BDP-83 is a tad better Audio -wise but if you want a player strictly for movies and will be using HDMI .. the BDP-80 is where Blue-Ray is right now .. Nothing better ... regardles of price .

Frantz

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I second Frantz. Still get the Oppo. Great product. Amazing upscaling and fast with internet firmware upgrades done automatically --- all for $500!!

Oppo all the way..The BDP-80 is $289.00 and the BDP-83 is $499.00

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I will be using optical cable for the digital connection, and componet cables for the video.

Jay

JC

You won't be able to play Blu Ray to 1080p with Component. It is not that Component video can't reproduce 1080p (and beyond)..It is that the players are build to output HD on HDMI only for copy protection purposes (HDCP).

Frantz

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
JC

You won't be able to play Blu Ray to 1080p with Component. It is not that the Composite can't reproduce 1080p (and beyond)..It is that the players are build to output HD on HDMI only for copy protection purposes (HDCP).

Frantz

I understand. Your post was confusing

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
To be clear, component as a transmission means, can readily transfer 1080p. Its close cousin, VGA does that all day long in computers and Xbox 360. Reason you don't get 1080p output from component in Consumer Electronics gear is due to an unwritten rule to help shift the consumers to HDMI and its protection means (HDCP). So it is a choice they have taken, and not based on technical or licensing restrictions.

That said, since BD content is usually film based, it is by definition progressive. So even though you are sending 1080i over component, any half competent display or processor will convert it back to progressive just the same. So the fact that you can't set it to 1080p should not be a big loss.

Alas, there can be issues. Namely, since component is not an often used standard, companies have cheapened out its implementation. Some displays will not resolve the full 1920 horizontal resolution over component. You can test for this by using a test signal such as exists on DVE. Of course, if the display is older and can't resolve 1080p anyway, this is a moot point.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Ok here are the specs for my TV.\

Description:
Perfect for stand-alone or home theater, the HD-Upgradeable MicroDisplay DLP TV WD-52327 shares from the high-end impressive ease-of-use features and stunning video images. Complete with Mitsubishi's most advanced features, this television delivers unsurpassed quality in every aspect.

Product Specification:
Audio System Speaker(s) 2 x right/left channel speaker - built-in - 10 Watt
Output Power / Total 20 Watt
Sound Output Mode Stereo
Speakers Included 2 speakers
TV Tuner Channel Coverage VHF:2-13, UHF:14-69, Cable:1-125
Analog TV Tuner NTSC
Multi-channel Preview Split screen, picture-in-picture (PIP), POP
Video Features Input Video Formats 480p, 720p, 1080i, 480i
HDTV Ready Yes
General Weight 110 lbs
Height 37.2 in
Depth 17.4 in
Width 49.6 in
Video Interface Component, composite, S-Video
Digital Television Certification HDTV monitor
Product Type 52" rear projection TV
Display Additional Features Advanced Multimedia Video Processor (AMVP)
Comb Filter 3D-Y/C digital
Image Aspect Ratio 16:9
Display Format 720p
Resolution 1280 x 720
Technology Projection
Diagonal Size 52" - widescreen
Projection Display Technology DLP
Remote Control Type Remote control - infrared
Power Power Device Power supply - internal
Connections Connector Type 1 x DVI-HDCP ( 29 pin DVI ) ¦ 1 x composite video/audio output ( RCA phono x 3 ) ¦ 2 x composite video input ( RCA phono ) ¦ 2 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) ¦ 2 x component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) ¦ 1 x DTV interface terminal ( RCA phono x 5 ) ¦ 6 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) ¦ 1 x RF output ( F connector

Jay

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You are good to go :). Your display has a resolution of 1280x720 which is half the resolution of what is on Blu-ray disc (1920x1080). So even if the component input is weak, it won't make a difference. If you are going with Oppo, I would set the Oppo to 720p output on component. That way, you are relying on its better scalar than what is in the TV. And you avoid any issues with interlace to progressive conversion.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, that would be preferable from quality point of view as the format stays in digital format end-to-end. I would still set the output to 720p though as that is the native format of your display.

BTW, be sure you buy the cable from some place you can return. Some of these cables don't work well and show drop outs (white short lines randomly on the screen). You can also get adapters which go from HDM to DVI.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Probably yes. Most Blu-ray players are designed after TV was and as such, have better scalars in them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing