Audio feedback and Turntables

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I'm new to this forum so if I ask questions that have been covered before, I apologize.

Way back in the early 1960's my father had a sound system in the living room of our home. However, he had the Garrard in a closet in a hallway nearby. It's now obvious to me why this was.

My pal and I were discussing this the other night. I told him how I could hear my voice come through the speakers on my computer during a quiet passage as I was digitzing a vinyl record. I was speaking loudly when I heard this happen.

My buddy says this is not necessary and points to the high-end systems we see online with the turntable right there in the thick of it. I say that the TT be isolated from the system as much as possible if the volume is anywhere above a whisper.

I'd be very interested to know what others here think about this.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This is why when you record (digitize) from a turntable, it should always be done with headphones!

Even on highend systems, I have seen "ghost images" of the transients when you look at spectral analysis, especially when you have a snare hit and then silence. It's almost like print-through on tape!

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I occasionally hear what I believe is print-through on a quiet lead-in groove when the program starts abruptly and loudly. I didn't think they still use conventional recording tape these days, in fact I have no idea how the sound is captured, but I do indeed occasionally hear some sort of "ghost image" if I may borrow your term, on a lead-in groove.

And just this evening when a record was spinning and the stylus was in a very quiet trail-off groove I tapped the table, very lightly, and saw it show up in the waveform.

I'm going to have to show this to my pal and end this debate, I think.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sombunya

Excellent question, excellent point... I always wonder about Turntable right in the field of speaker with substantial bass output ... I have mentioned exactly the same thing in this very forum. I have always suspected that the place for a TT is not where the speakers are ... It seems to me counter-intuitive to just place something that relies on mechanical vibrations to play in the field of strong vibrations producing item .. yet that is what is practiced in mos of the installations including the most carefully laid-out room systems in the US and elsewhere... I know for a fact and always thought it was the best solution to do what some Japanese audiophiles do: Place the TT in a isolated, sound-proof room/cabinet/closet .. The problem is not one of real estate or money IMO, it is of ergonomics and aesthetics .. Changing side would involve a trip to the other room and back in time to listen to the music ... that could even require some running .... :) Not convenient, not practical. The vibration problem is mitigated by the suspension and vibration reducing material . I used a Vibraplane, had two as a matter of fact which I used for the CD transport (made no difference under the CD transport made a world of a difference under the TT) but I am not too sure how you deal with airborne vibrations that hit the arm, thus the cartridge ... The other problem is of aesthetics ... How do you hide such carefully crafted object as a TT or a tonearm? .. They are the equivalent of Audio Bling .. Speakers can be nice, amps too, even CD tranport can be good looking ... but when it comes to TT , they are the most beautiful objects in all Audio. It would be like Buying a Picasso or a MAtisse and hiding it in a lock never to see the light of the day.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I appreciate your comments here, Frantz.

There is a wall that separates the living room from my bedroom. My system is stacked near this wall. I will be boring a small hole through it and build a shelf on the other side to set my TT on. It's not too far a trip to walk back and forth and the cables can remain short.

As I occasionally play it on the loud side, I think this is important. Thanks again for the input.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There is a wall that separates the living room from my bedroom. My system is stacked near this wall. I will be boring a small hole through it and build a shelf on the other side to set my TT on. It's not too far a trip to walk back and forth and the cables can remain short.

Well unless the wall is isolated with RC or a double leaf, then this would be almost as worse than in the same room. I'd suggest just placing the TT on a good rack on the other side of the wall.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Well unless the wall is isolated with RC or a double leaf, then this would be almost as worse than in the same room. I'd suggest just placing the TT on a good rack on the other side of the wall.

A free standing shelf is better than mounting to the wall. I've even contemplated suspending a shelf from the ceiling using some sort of suspension dampening system (floor space is somewhat limited). The fact that 30-40 lbs. of $2000-$3000 TT is hanging there does not comfort me though. I have a way to go yet.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I plan to put it in the next room, separated by a wall, door closed. Before I start drilling and hammering I plan to crank up the system and see what type of resonances will be present, if any.

I've actually been thinking about this suspended thing for years when I saw a coffee table in a friend's apartment done this way a long time ago.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you are interested in this subject you should watch this video: Edgar Villchur "AR Turntable"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOlAua3tBSw

In order to test the susceptibility of your turntable system to sound feedback you should listen using sealed headphones in a separate room while your turntable plays a silent groove from a test disk and your system plays a CD at normal volumes or use any kind of audio recorder for later listening. If you have access to a PC sound analyzer you can even find the critical resonance frequencies of this type of feedback.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
This is a much more sophisticated and accurate method of what I originally noticed; I was talking loudly during a recording and could hear my voice (slightly delayed) come through while a silent groove was playing.

Good link here. Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing