The Air Force and the Dragon - Mon, 19th Nov 2012

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The TechDAS Air Force One is the most amazing turntable I have laid ears on. I got an inkling of how good it was during the launch of the Genesis Dragon in Hong Kong some months ago, but we didn't use it much because it was new, and not perfectly set-up.

Over this weekend, I was at the Tokyo Audio Show and I met the designer Hideaki Nishikawa. When he played an original pressing of Miles Davis - Live Around the World, I had chills going up and down my spine almost constantly throughout the one track he played. Belafonte at Carnegie Hall sounded like we were in the audience live - including hearing the audience, which I had never heard before.

Nishikawa.jpg

IMVHO, it's the best turntable in the world. I'll post more details of the turntable later.

In the meantime, Nishikawa-san and I will be in Hong Kong for the meeting of the best with the best. Forthwise will present the Air Force and the Dragon Monday, 19th Nov.

Showroom.JPG

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
very cool. Miles Davis Live Around the World is an interesting selection to demo a TT since its a digital recording live to DAT from shows during the late eighties to early nineties.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The TechDAS Air Force One brings together past know-how (from Micro-Seiki), present electronics technology as well as machining technology and evolution of materials science to develop the top-of-the-line analog turntable. It is no exaggeration to say that the Air Force ONE is the State of the Art.

Mechanism.jpg

Air Force One.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
What's MSRP on the TT Gary

FWIW, to my eyes it looks strikingly similar to the Wave Kinetics

What arm and cartridge with it

Retail is $85,000.

Arms were both Graham Phantom II - one was a 12-inch. Cartridges were Brinkmann EMT and Pi.

Arms.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
very cool. Miles Davis Live Around the World is an interesting selection to demo a TT since its a digital recording live to DAT from shows during the late eighties to early nineties.

Since I heard it, I've been trying to find the LP, but no luck so far. One of my favorite LPs is the Oscar Peterson Nigerian Marketplace and that was also a 1982 digital recording.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have Miles Davis "Live Around the World". Has Miles' last known public performance. It was played by Mike Grellman at one of the BAAS shindigs with Rockport Sirius III turntable and Rockport speakers.

Yes, it was kind of a bootleg type thing recorded by on site DAT machine which obtained permission later to publish as a record. However, like the first Cowboy Junkies album, also recorded in a church by a humble DAT apparatus, it seems to have transcended its origin, the record is very nice.

Love Kei Akagi's keyboard playing on Tutu suite.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What is the footprint of Hideaki-san's table Gary?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
What is the footprint of Hideaki-san's table Gary?

Minimum footprint for setting-up is 600mm (W) x 450mm (D)

However, you need to add 430mm x 232mm for the power supply unit and 260mm x 230mm for the air condenser unit. This is the first vacuum table with a pump I couldn't hear, so no problem having the air unit on the rack.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I know the guys bringing this table (the Air Force, not the one below-the Triangle Arts Signature) to the States. I believe there are two AFs here in the eastern US. The first reviewer, to my knowledge, is slated to be Fremer. I think we are in the queue next or soon at bat. I have this outstanding table set up now:
triangle art signature.jpg

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The US importer is Bob Graham - yes, that Bob Graham. He also designed a 12-in version of the Phantom II Supreme arm for the Air Force One.

What was interesting was that when I was talking to one of the engineers/technicians behind the turntable, I mentioned to him that I liked it because you couldn't hear the air pump for the air bearing and vacuum hold down. He gave me a puzzled look, cocked his head, and said "Gary-san, if you can hear pump, record can hear pump."

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Cat out of bag.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Don't have to... the AFO is 45 minutes away :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sweet looking table , what electronics are you using with the Dragon's Gary ..?

Electronics are likely to be the Viola Labs. Phono stage will be Nagra or Goldmund. We also have the option of a full Goldmund line. I'll have a listen to the two options when I get there at the end of the week. Nishigawa-san would probably also have an opinion. When I was there last, I marginally preferred the Viola to the Goldmund - but the speakers weren't well broken in at that point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing