Question For Our Aquarists

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Level of the owner's dedication :)

You have to be part chemist and part vet.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
^^^ What he said. Going salt can be quite a challenge as the critters are generally more picky about conditions, it usually takes a much larger tank as the entry fee (I set up a 50 once, never again -- 75 min and I won't personally do it again with less than 100), a lot of more expensive filtration and such, and much more attention to water quality. So, I would say (not necessarily in order):

1. Time
2. Money
3. Space for tank and supplies
4. Willingness to read and learn about saltwater fish (etc.) requirements
5. Patience!

HTH - Don

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
1. time & lifestyle - it is a commitment
2. type of fish - do you want to keep smaller fish or monster fish.
3. presentation - some people spend thousands of dollars on fish and corals, but won't go the extra mile to make a nice cabinet
4. budget - during and after setup
5. size - the bigger the easier to keep

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
how big is yours (capacity and measurements)

How do you test your water and how often do you do it

Do you have a reef tank or other

Do you have small or large fish and which ones

sorry for all of the questions but I have never had a salt water tank but always rather large fresh water tanks. Now that I am retired I have wanted to satisfy my curiousity and am picking everyones' brains before I decide about jumping in. I would definitely have a larger aquarium

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
None, now. Last salt one was 150 gal, a step up from a 100 gal. I tried a 50 gal; never again (too small).

I tested the water weekly, at least, when I cleaned the filter tank and checked everything out. I used an external filter system (multistage).

Semi-reef; a pump system to keep water moving but not a true reef system.

A mixture, plus some anemones. No lion fish despite their beauty -- owner of the shop I sold my fish to (I was breeding them) had a nasty encounter with one and I didn't want to take the chance.

Lighting is important too, not only to keep everything healthy but also to really bring out the colors. There are some very nice lights out now, though they cost $100 - $300, much more than a standard fluorescent, but the light quality and output is much higher. Of course, the fish are much higher in cost, too. I would love to set up another saltwater tank, but I simply don't have time nor money -- maybe when (if) I retire!

You should pick up The Marine Aquarium: Theory and Practice or some other reference book(s) before you take the plunge (I assume you already have Exotic Tropical Fishes -- most every aquariest I have ever known has that one!). If you have the time, funds, and patience having a good saltwater system is very rewarding.

Enjoy! - Don

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
mine is 1360 indoor freshwater. 120" x 75" x 34". I very rarely test water anymore, maybe once every 3 months or so, or whenever I notice an unhealthy fish. I used to test ph, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia, but now only testing my ammonia. When the ph level is on the high side, ammonia can be lethal. I change 20% water every other week. I have large fish only, 13 asian arowanas, they range in sizes from 20" - 25" - the oldest one was tagged 2003. They have a lifespan of 25 or more years, so it is a long term commitment for me.

I lost a very rare tigrinnus carfish, common pleco and blood parrot about a month ago. A very brief (blink) power outage reset my digital temperature controller and the 2500 watt heater heated my tank to 39 deg C. Thanks goodness arowanas are very hardy. The tigrinnus measured 20" when it died, they usually sell for $1200 when around 12".

here's a link to my aquahobby journey posted at Monsterfishkeepers.com

how big is yours (capacity and measurements)

How do you test your water and how often do you do it

Do you have a reef tank or other

Do you have small or large fish and which ones

sorry for all of the questions but I have never had a salt water tank but always rather large fresh water tanks. Now that I am retired I have wanted to satisfy my curiousity and am picking everyones' brains before I decide about jumping in. I would definitely have a larger aquarium

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Boy, this makes setting up a SOTA audio system look like peanuts.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
An APC SmartUPS is a good investment for an expensive tank. Unfortunately, for all the motors and widgets (sorry to get technical ;) ), you need the better sine-wave approximation of a SmartUPS and not the simpler (cheaper) stepped-sine of a BackUPS for an aquarium. A BackUPS can make motors in the filters and air pumps overheat; don't ask how I know this. :(

Dimfer: Awesome blog, I think I hate you. :) Safety tip: You actually need respirators to filter the PVC glue fumes.

JackD201: The routine maintenance is a lot higher on a fish tank, and the expense continues over time, so yeah...

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Steve, the idea is the same but the media might be different, you will need a protein skimmer on salt water setup I believe. Saltwater fish only setup is very similar to freshwater, but things get complicated, way more complicated once you get into corals and live rocks because you are creating an ecosystem. Some say they are keeping these complete setups for more than 10 years and still learning. And the tank ownership experience is not the same without these two.

That's why I never get into saltwater tank.

nice to know you guys enjoyed reading my aquahobby journey.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is it fair to say thought that saltwater presents much better opportunity for more beautiful fish and exotic look? That was my experience when I got into it in the 1980s. Even the loveliest freshwater setup could not hold a candle to saltwater ones I saw in commercial locations.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Is it fair to say thought that saltwater presents much better opportunity for more beautiful fish and exotic look? That was my experience when I got into it in the 1980s. Even the loveliest freshwater setup could not hold a candle to saltwater ones I saw in commercial locations.

it was for that very reason that I was considering a salt water aquarium. What happened Amir that you got out of it?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
it was for that very reason that I was considering a salt water aquarium. What happened Amir that you got out of it?
What happened? My conscious couldn't stand killing fish after fish :).

I say that half seriously. It takes a lot of investment to get the tanks performing and at the time, we lived in a small home and didn't have the means or space to build a big tank which I believe substantially eases the pain as it is more stable than small body of water.

The other reason we got out of it was that we decided to get a couple of dogs and enjoyed them more than watching fish swim :). We no longer have dogs and I keep thinking about building a tank for our second house when we decide to retire there.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Don't be scared, it's a challenge well worth taking! If I had the room and time I would set up another salt in a heartbeat. Yes, it's a lot more work, especially to get going, but it is really gorgeous once you see all those colorful fish and fauna. The main thing holding me back is the time. However, if you get a bigger tank (150 - 300 gallon range), the problems diminish after you get it going. Saltwater species are generally more sensitive to water quality, temperature, and all that jazz than fresh water fish, especially the pretty ones we like to keep. A bigger tank provides much more leeway. The filtration systems are bigger and better, and actually easier to take care of than most freshwater systems. Today's systems are much more user-friendly (or, to paraphrase my response to certain operating systems, less user-hostile) than those of a decade or two ago when I last set one up, the water and filter treatments are much better, and supplies are much more plentiful. Moving from El Segundo to Colorado was not conducive to a salt-water tank...

As for killing fish, I lost count of how many we went though getting a simple little 30g freshwater tank going with my younger son a couple of years ago. It's pretty stable now, but we rushed a bit on adding fish and went through a bunch! Any tank is best set up with just water for a week or two, then plants, then fish. Build the ecosystem slowly. Impatience is your greatest enemy when starting a tank (fresh or salt).

FWIWFM - Don

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And for reeftanks I believe yu'll want halides. Thats a lot of electricity. :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing