Vinyl collection: do you protect your covers?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I put a cover on every LP that I care about.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I put a cover on every LP that I care about.

This! Same with inner sleeves. If I play something that I haven't heard in a while and has no inner/outer sleeve I may add them, but only if I feel it's worth it. Not about to start going through some 3,000 LP's....

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
5mm cover and discwasher inner sleeve on every lp

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I don't have outer covers on most of my records, mostly because I haven't found one with which I am completely happy. My favourites are those used by Impex Records, but they're custom made for that label.

However, I do use anti-static inner sleeves for all my records.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Just about 30% or so have plastic covers, mostly those I care the most, inner sleeves all over as well.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I like the sealable Japanese mylar outer sleeves, sold by Music Direct. They have the added advantage of keeping dust away from the top of the cover. Inner sleeves I use are the rice paper Mobile Fidelity. Still going through my LP's and adding these covers, about 90% done.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I use poly sleeves and put the record in them upright so that when I slide the lp in and out of the shelf, the sleeve does slide off. It does require one to remove the poly sleeve the access the record however.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I use poly sleeves and put the record in them upright so that when I slide the lp in and out of the shelf, the sleeve does slide off. It does require one to remove the poly sleeve the access the record however.

That's they way it supposed to be Christian-or at least I think so.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I've always used outer sleeves and for good reason. Once those records get packed in on a shelf, you can damage the covers every time you slide a record in and out.

Currently I use the 5 mil and the box set sleeves from Sleevetown. (they also have nice inner sleeves too as talked about in an inner sleeve article a while back.)

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/LP-Sleeves-Outer-s/1880.htm

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't have outer covers on most of my records, mostly because I haven't found one with which I am completely happy. My favourites are those used by Impex Records, but they're custom made for that label.

However, I do use anti-static inner sleeves for all my records.

I'm not crazy about the Impex-style sleeves since they always end up tearing.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
OK. Here is one of my pet peeves with record sleeves: How many times have you opened up a brand new expensive record and pulled out the record in its sleeve only to see the sleeve was all bent over in one or more corners? I have a pile of them.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I use Japanese resealable as well. A bit of a chore to open and play them but they offer the highest level of protection, I feel.

I've always felt that paper innersleeves were okay, that no real advantage is gained by using any of the various lined inner sleeves. I usually use generic paper to keep some of the printed inner sleeves from splitting or otherwise becoming damaged.

Am I wrong about paper? I have a lot of $$$ tied up here. Should I be using the rice paper sleeves?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I use Japanese resealable as well. A bit of a chore to open and play them but they offer the highest level of protection, I feel.

I've always felt that paper innersleeves were okay, that no real advantage is gained by using any of the various lined inner sleeves. I usually use generic paper to keep some of the printed inner sleeves from splitting or otherwise becoming damaged.

Am I wrong about paper? I have a lot of $$$ tied up here. Should I be using the rice paper sleeves?

sombunya, I believe using plain paper inner sleeves is a mistake. Plain paper isn't that soft and has been known to scratch vinyl. The Mobile Fidelity rice paper inner sleeves are IMO the best that you can get, and I would recommend them.
Most collectors keep the original paper inner sleeves on the outside of the cover between the cover and the new outer sleeve. That way, the original inner sleeve stays with the record and doesn't get misplaced.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Makes good sense. I'll search for those sleeves asap.

Do you have a good source you'd recommend?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/lp_sleaves.htm

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I have all of my 15,000 records covered with an outer sleeve. Mostly from Sleeve City. I typically use 3mil plastic. For very expensive records I will often use thicker plastic. For my many box set I also use a larger sleeve, I think 14" square, which fits all but the very biggest boxes. I replace all of the inner sleeves except for audiophile pressings which already have rice paper or other similar sleeves.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing