Can a audio rack lower the noise floor by 20%

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I was told that a certain rack can lower the noise floor 20%. For some reason I find this hard to believe. I currently have a Billy Bags rack and it seems to be a decent rack. Of course there are better but they cost 5 to 10 times the price. It seems you could do better by doing a component upgrade if you are going to spend that kind of money. Does anyone here have experience with audio racks? And if so can you actually hear a lower noise floor?

Last edited:

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
See, I have a friend. His system is all DIY and in a constant state of flux. The crossover at the back of his speakers have capacitors held on by alligator clips. His DAC, preamp, and power amp is a mess of different parts, some of which are not soldered on. I was warned not to go near his power amp, because the thing is a home-made valve amp built to his usual shoddy standards. The whole thing is perched on a rather flimsy coffee table, which moves every time someone steps on his floorboards.

I am pretty sure the whole thing jiggles and suffers from microphonics like you wouldn't believe, especially when music is played at his preferred volume (i.e. LOUD!!).

If you own such a system, perhaps your noise floor would go down by 20%. For everyone else, I highly doubt it :)

taters

Jun 6, 2012
See, I have a friend. His system is all DIY and in a constant state of flux. The crossover at the back of his speakers have capacitors held on by alligator clips. His DAC, preamp, and power amp is a mess of different parts, some of which are not soldered on. I was warned not to go near his power amp, because the thing is a home-made valve amp built to his usual shoddy standards. The whole thing is perched on a rather flimsy coffee table, which moves every time someone steps on his floorboards.

I am pretty sure the whole thing jiggles and suffers from microphonics like you wouldn't believe, especially when music is played at his preferred volume (i.e. LOUD!!).

If you own such a system, perhaps your noise floor would go down by 20%. For everyone else, I highly doubt it :)

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the name of the rack. Harmonic resolution systems out of Buffalo, N.Y.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm sorry I forgot to mention the name of the rack. Harmonic resolution systems out of Buffalo, N.Y.

Glad you mentioned that...i have to say, i have never measured their stuff. But i CAN say i have been exceptionally impressed with their racks. Exceptionally. I own only the little tweaks from them...damper plates and nimbus/coupler feet. Perhaps speak with Andy Payor of Rockport Technologies who uses their racks in his listening rooms?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I was told that a certain rack can lower the noise floor 20%. For some reason I find this hard to believe. I currently have a Billy Bags rack and it seems to be a decent rack. Of course there are better but they cost 5 to 10 times the price. It seems you could do better by doing a component upgrade if you are going to spend that kind of money. Does anyone here have experience with audio racks? And if so can you actually hear a lower noise floor?

At what frequency? That will be especially important with turntables.

Then every audio product has different resonance characteristics.

The question might be would you be better off using the HRS platforms under your gear rather than ditching your stand.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So who told you that it would lower the noise floor by 20%?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, taters. Perhaps there was a miscommunication somewhere. I can see lowering microphonics 20% but a noise floor?

Tom

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Hello, taters. Perhaps there was a miscommunication somewhere. I can see lowering microphonics 20% but a noise floor?

Tom

I talked to Mike at HRS and he said it would lower the noise floor between 20 and 30db. That is actually higher than the 20% I quoted earlier.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
HRS are famous for their isolation products: platforms and rack; the rack's shelves have the same isolation feet as the platforms, and perhaps they are made of the same materials as well. Therefore, depending on what's sitting on them and their resonance characteristics, they can lower the noise going into the components from the floor and rack, but obviously not air-borne noise. I have tried their top platform in the past and it isolated my turntable from floor-borne noise (rumble, footfalls, etc) to a very large degree. What was also nice is that they have custom dimensions for tons of turntables. But I didn't buy it because of two reasons: it added a lot of height, making it hard to reach my turntable; although their top plate comes split into two pieces (tt and motor), my VPI needs a modified version of the smaller plate for the motor. So I built my own solution, which is very effective indeed.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I talked to Mike at HRS and he said it would lower the noise floor between 20 and 30db. That is actually higher than the 20% I quoted earlier.

I would love to see the data they used to reach that conclusion. Actually, I would love to see the 20 to 30 dB noisefloor that exists in anything any of us would call "high fidelity." This is a totally bogus stat, and the overwhelming majority of this supposed reduction is noise floor has to be below the hearing threshold. They may as well say their rack reduces the noise floor by 2000 to 3000 Db.

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

The question is at which frequencies does the unit attenuate, ESP toward the low end. I assume they use an accelerometer.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have a pretty large HRS platform for my big Kuzma turntable. I didn't buy it for isolation, per se, but to have a completely flat surface on which to mount a very heavy turntable and the Airline arm, which needs to be completely level to work properly. It's nicely made and does the job well. As to mechanical isolation from footfalls, it's not terribly effective on its own, the heavy (i mean heavy) old mahogany prayer table that it sits on had to be further isolated to eliminate footfalls. As to isolating from component vibration, I think their stands use the platforms combined with additional decoupling material to make them work.
I had a Finite Elemente stand for a little while for the turntable and it didn't isolate footfalls at all.
I also have a variety of Grand Prix Monaco stands that use the carbon fiber shelfs. I still use those for my line stage and amps. I do remember that they made a significant difference when I placed the equipment on them- but this was 6 years ago, and I haven't tried anything different (other than to replace the little sorbothane pucks).
Taters- I think some people have actually gone back to using a basic, rigid stand, like your Billy Bags, and then adding decoupling, like STillpoints, or other devices under components, rather than using elaborate stands.
I gather that the new STillpoints stand is quite good but I haven't played with it.
I have a huge Billy Bags stand that I bought back in the 90's for my home theatre system, thing is probably 6 feet long and 3 feet high. I am basically willing to give it away when i move so if anybody wants it, PM me. You'll have to pick it up, I ain't shipping it. (And it should probably be bead blasted and powder coated again, I'm sure there's some rust in places, it has been sitting in the pool house).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

The question that needs to be asked is 20dB-30dB reduction in the noise floor compared to what?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing