Reef Tanks

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
How'd I miss this?

I've had reef tanks since 1998. I am now down to one simple 100 gallon acrylic one with primarily soft corals, LPS corals, and a few fish. I took it to my office so that I could socialize my electric bill, which, with 300 Watts of HQI halide and another 200 W of compact fluorescent and god only knows how much to drive all the pumps, etc...

A fine hobby. Makes the audio stuff look inexpensive.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I'll dig some out. I've kind of been neglecting things and need to clean it up a bit before taking any new ones.

Did you start one?

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I have surprisingly few photos, and none are particularly good. This looks like it was taken just before I migrated from a 55 gallon sump-less tank to a 100 gallon.

Item_0007.jpg

CIMG2239.jpg

Sorry the photos kind of suck.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
My Reef Tank(s)

002.jpg 045.jpg 016.jpg 020.jpg 006.jpg
Salt water tanks are so tough ;-(
These are some photos of my 1 year old reef tank. If you are interested in seeing some photos of my filtration and lighting, etc., please let me know and I will post them. Thanks for looking.

Steve

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
More photos

View attachment 8479 View attachment 8480 View attachment 8481 View attachment 8482 View attachment 8483 The complete system occupies 3 rooms. The main display tank is in the main part of the basement (where my HT setup is).

In my laundry room (photos 2&4) I have my prefilter sump. The water enters from the display tank and goes through (stage 1) four filter "socks" (referred to as mechanical filtration) which weed out the larger debris that can get stuck in pumps and cause failure. The water then passes through 5 lbs. of special porous material (referred to as biological filtration) (stage 2) that is designed to grow bacteria (the good kind) which keeps the tank alive. This bacteria counters the detrimental effects of fish poop, uneaten decaying food and other matter and oxygenates the water which helps maintain the proper PH of the water (1.026 SG). The water then enters (stage 3) that has a protein skimmer in it. This device filters out the smallest debris and other various unwanted substances that the mechanical filtration cannot grab. A pump injects tiny bubbles into a chamber which float to the top and as they rise in the chamber various types of proteins that need to be managed adhere to the bubbles and eventually a thick black disgusting SMELLY foam is produced which is pushed up the neck of the skimmer and into a cup that is emptied daily. The skimmer also oxygenates the water. At this point the water still needs a few more things done to provide a healthy environment for success. The water is now pumped into two separate media reactors. One has charcoal in it to clarify the water and the other has a product (basically it is rust) that is designed to keep the phosphate levels down to a minimum (.01% ppm.) Excessive phosphates will cause algae to grow out of control which eventually will suffocate everything in the tank by using up all the oxygen and will grow over everything and literally "take over" the tank. This is one of the hardest things to manage in reef tanks because corals need an abundance of light in order to grow. This is where most enthusiasts fail. Finally the water goes through a UV Sterilizer where it is pushed through a tube that houses the UV light and passes at a slow rate of about 150 G.P.H. This kills all....good and bad. Some hobbyists don't think UV should be used in reef tanks but I obviously don't agree. Another issue that needs addressing is water evaporation. Water evaporates...salt doesn't. It is critical that a consistent salinity level or specific gravity (SG) be maintained. As water evaporates, the specific gravity goes up. For this I have a float valve in the sump. When the water level goes down due to evaporation the valve opens up and lets fresh RODI water into the sump until it is at the set level. This keeps the salt to water ratio stable.

The closet in the basement (photo1) has a sump in it that houses my heaters/chiller coil/return pumps for the main display tank and to my in-wall tank (photos in next post) I also grow copepods and other animals in here which is food for the fish and coral. This needs to be done at the final stage because this critical food source would be killed by the UV. Another function of this sump is to prevent bubbles from returning into the display tanks. It has baffles that the water needs to go up and over several times which gives the bubbles a chance to escape before returning to the tanks.

In my boiler room is where I mix my water and salt. I have a 75 gallon drum that I fill up with RODI water and add the salt (comes in buckets that make about 200 gallons of saltwater with a SG of 1.026). Even with all the filtration implemented water changes still need to be made monthly, sometimes more often depending on how well your system is designed. Usually 15 to 20% of the total water volume in the system. My main display tank is 220 gallons and my in wall tank is about 50 gallons add another 30 gallons for the water going through the filtration and your up to about 60 gallons worth of water that needs to be changed regularly.

This is obviously a passion of mine equal to my audio endeavors. It seems that there a few "reefers" here and maybe some that want to get into the hobby too. I enjoyed writing this post and hope I didn't bore anyone with it. There are other important things that I can talk about such as lighting requirements (I switched from Metal Halide to LED), water flow and movement (my system has around 10,000 GPH of water pumping) and more.

Time to go listen to some music. BTW my main system:

Vivid Audio G2
VAC Sig IIa
Viola Symphony
Stahl Tek Opus Prime/A.B.C.
GPA racks/Stillpoints
Mac Mini with SSD and outboard PS/Amarra
Tripoint Troy
Audience 2 PTOPT (whatever) for digital
UPGRADED FUSES IN ALL ***in fact Stahl Tek (Purist Audio Design) now ships there new Opus Prime DAC with all upgraded fuses.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 452
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 454
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 469
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 437
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 443

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I would say dedicated more so than serious.

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 443
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 448
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 452

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
+1 !!!

The first attachments do not show up for me (broken links).

I used to raise and sell freshwater and always lusted after a saltwater tank but never had the space and $$$ to invest. Maybe someday... I have friends with nice big tanks and love reading about them, though!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Finding NEMO ;)

* I always loved aquariums (exotic fishes); I find that they mix very well with music, sound systems, turntables.
...The peace, the water, the color of the blue water, ... the bubbles, the gentle sounds and movements inside the tanks.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
One of the challenges of having tanks like these is minimizing the noise level. I have gone to great lengths to bring the noise level to about 25db in the main part of the basement where my HT is. My main sound room is in an an adjacent room and I have two doors a 2 foot concrete wall and a large closet (where most of my audio equipment is in) as a barrier to keep noise levels pretty much void in there. I needed to use flexible vinyl tubing to go through the walls to prevent vibrations (from the pumps) rattling the walls.

This hobby is expensive but not even close to audio. I have probably spent $20,000.00 on aquarium stuff and continue to spend an additional $100.00 month on fish food and various things. This doesn't include the additional electricity consumption that we don't even talk about. I can't even come up with a number for the audio but if you ask JTinn he would probably know.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I finally gave up. 1998-2012. I found I just wasn't maintaining them properly. Then I busted my ankle before I even had a chance to finish cleaning up my office.

I do miss it, but not the idea of worrying about it every time I leave town for more than a day.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
If I do go back, I think LEDs are now more practical.

If anyone wants my HQI halides (for 100 gal long), Einheim pump, or in-sump Octopus skimmer, they are yours free if you can get them out of my office.

pwfletcher

Dec 14, 2011
I just got the new AquaIlluminations LED light and my corals LOVE it ... plus, it does a little lightning storm twice per day ;-)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Really beautiful.
Kudos to you guys keeping live coral, I find they can be as beautiful as the fish.

BTW any others secretly like to watch Fish Tank Kings, or Tanked :)
I say secretly because the other half is ashamed of me watching those shows :)
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing