Unfortunately, I believe the people like myself comprise a small fraction of all aquarium keepers, and that most get their advice from LFS or wherever else. They go through livestock like crazy until they get too frustrated and quit. I can't blame the haters for hating when the majority of livestock taken from the ocean will be dead in less than a year, and probably much less. I'm sure they'd be happy to see small part of the community that does a great job at caring for their animals, but in the big picture, it doesn't make much of a difference to them.

That being said, I think that things are changing as we begin to open our eyes to what is happening to our beautiful oceans. As an example all the contents in my (new) tank are either grown in the ocean in designated areas or grown in an "outside" enviornment. The rock in the tank was not taken from any living reef but rather from mines in Florida that have been dry for millions of years. All but few fish can now be bred in tanks and in a lot of instances are actually saving species.

This practice is becoming the norm within the industry now. It is important to note though that over 90% of the damage being done to our precious coral reefs is caused by climate change and enviornment problems relating mostly to fuel such as coal and oil, etc. this only makes the problem worse and harder to overcome. It is very disturbing for me to see photos of our dying reefs, and planet.