Favorite Fresh Water Fish

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As I was growing up I had countless fresh water aquariums and I must say tat I chose fish for their beauty. There were just too many great ones. Curious as to which fresh water fish gets top billing in your aquarium

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Mine was the many varieties of Angel Fish. So exotic looking for fresh water...

From the wikipedia listing:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Too many to list... Guppies (of course, plus my dad worked with the guy who created the "glass" guppy strain -- for tracking toxins in water!), angels, swords, and neon tetras probably top my list. I used to breed angels, but it takes a pretty big tank and lots of TLC for that.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think trout are the best tasting fresh water fish. Wait, you mean to keep in an aquarium? Can you keep trout in an aquarium 'til they're ready to eat? Probably wouldn't taste as good as trout caught on a dry fly from a mountain stream....

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
If it's the edible types you are asking about Steve, I vote for a fresh Walleye Pike caught from Dawn Lake...about 200 miles north of Thunder Bay:p

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
#
es347

If it's the edible types you are asking about Steve, I vote for a fresh Walleye Pike caught from Dawn Lake...about 200 miles north of Thunder Bay

#
Today 05:24 AM
rsbeck

I think trout are the best tasting fresh water fish. Wait, you mean to keep in an aquarium? Can you keep trout in an aquarium 'til they're ready to eat? Probably wouldn't taste as good as trout caught on a dry fly from a mountain stream....

:D you .. Goons ! :D

Frantz

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
for me, asian arowanas and tigrinus catfish. they are both big fish, mean looking and very rare. quite easy to take care of too.

asian arowanas

they are elegant swimmers and can be relaxing to watch

for the golden crossbacks, the value goes up as the shine level of the scale goes up. this one has partial shine on the topmost level and will be considered a nice quality.

there is a fish show in Singapore called aquarama, the winner is traditionally sold for s$ 68,888.88. The most expensive I'd seen at a store is Cdn $ 32,000, although I've read that some really nice quality albinos (snow arowana) sell for well over US$ 100k.

too bad you cannot legally keep or buy them in the US because they are still considered endangered species.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
one day, when I came home from work my mom told me "one of your fish is dead". I could feel my stomach turning, luckily it was one of the cheaper tankmates (peacock bass). my most expensive fish that died on me so far is the tigrinus, I'll probably have to spend more than $1k to get a decent size replacement. I almost cried when my first long term fish (black oranda) died. After losing a few, you'll get used to it.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
We have a 55 gallon in the foyer. It holds South American ciclids and an oscar. My grandson has a 10 gallon for goldfish and a 1/2 gallon for his beta "Gary".

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Mine was the many varieties of Angel Fish. So exotic looking for fresh water...

From the wikipedia listing:

one of my friends is a lifelong aquarist. there is a variety of angelfish that he is obsessed with, because he cannot keep them alive long enough. He spent thousands of dollars buying them but they always die on him. I'd seen some big angelfish and they quite a sight to look at.

thuffman03

Mar 26, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
This thread has not been posted in for a while. My other hobby, well it was my first as I started when I was about 8yo, if fresh water fish. I currently have a 120g with a few Oscars in it. I need to take a pic and when I do I will post it.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
My absolute favorite freshwater fish have to be African Cichlids, specifically from Lake Malawi. I have owned many of them throughout my life and have experienced many waves of absolutely beautiful offspring. Here is a sample of the various Cichlids I have had the pleasure of watching grow up...

The only thing about them is that they are an aggressive type of fish. I kept having this one orange one eat all of the other fish, including my most prized Cichlid. My neighbor now has that fish and every time she brings the subject of that fish up? I ask her if she has flushed it down the toilet yet. They are a beautiful fish and watching the youngin's is a nice past time of mine. They are a trip to watch. Best thing about them is that they are an extremely low maintenance fish. They can feed off of just the algae in the tank [in my case, off the rocks and driftwood] for days on end, while at the same time keeping the glass perfectly clean to enjoy their beauty.

I can not wait to set all of the tanks up again. Unfortunately, the house we live in right now can not support the size tanks [and the amount of tanks I have] along with my audio hobby. One of them had to go and in this case, it turned out to be the fish. I sure do miss them.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I love goldfish. Little fat ones with fan tails, with or without pop-eyes.

A pity they require so much space/water volume per fish.

my daughter has one like that and she has kept him alive for almost 5 yrs now in a 5 gal tank. I told her to buy him a bigger tank, but she won't - bcause she want to keep her aquarium in a certain spot in her bedroom. She was able to keep the goldfish alive for 2 yrs without even a filtration system, I bought a foam type filter for her because I pity the poor fish. she calls him Uncle Oscar, character from her fav tv show Arrested Development

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing