Favorite Fresh Water Fish

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
treitz, I like cichlids as well and had always wanted to setup an African cichlid tank but never really got around to do it. I was told the secret to keeping an aggressive cichlid community is to keep an all male setup. having a female in the tank will increase their aggressiveness because they will compete for the female's attention.

other cichlid that I always wanted to have is the p. maculatus as they very nice looking and probably one of the rarest

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
treitz, I like cichlids as well and had always wanted to setup an African cichlid tank but never really got around to do it. I was told the secret to keeping an aggressive cichlid community is to keep an all male setup. having a female in the tank will increase their aggressiveness because they will compete for the female's attention.

other cichlid that I always wanted to have is the p. maculatus as they very nice looking and probably one of the rarest

Your ray was my favorite :(

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
My favourite is the Kribensis Cichlid. When I was 10, I accidentally discovered how to breed these. At that time, Lake Nyasa was just discovered and these African Cichlids were fabulously expensive. I was the richest kid in school because I sold them for 50 cents each to the aquariums. Each brood would net me $10 to $15, and the aquariums would take everything I could produce.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
When I first saw the thread title my first thoughts were a food thread!!

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Your ray was my favorite :(

yes, rays are very cool, especially after you trained them to be handfed. How I wish they don't pollute water as fast as they do (they poo and pee which brings nitrate level very fast), I would have kept at least a couple in my current aquarium. the male one that I had grew to 14", too bad it died a couple of weeks after I sold it.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gary, that fish is gorgeous! In all of my travels, I didn't even know one like that even existed. Would you happen to know if they are still available today and if so, an average price one would pay for them? I can't get over the colors in that photo. Watching that kind must have been incredible as their colors changed. Dimfer, all of the shops I purchased the cichlids from swore up and down that they only sold males. This, of course, was apparently not the case.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The picture is of a breeding male, hence the bright colors. A breeding pair (they mate for life) well fed will produce a new brood every few months, and are quite easy to breed, so I would expect that they are easily available today. A quick Google revealed several sites that sell them - about $8 each.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
My all time favorite is Oscar. Had one for many years when I was single that was trained (or conditioned). He would beg for food, show anger when I moved his gravel, and greeted me when I came home from work.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
My all time favorite is Oscar. Had one for many years when I was single that was trained (or conditioned). He would beg for food, show anger when I moved his gravel, and greeted me when I came home from work.
Hello, Ki Choi. Did you ever get to the point with the Oscar to where you cold pet him on the head? Your Oscar mimicked the things mine did and they are a great fish to have. Honestly, the only type of fish I ever had that came with a "personality", if you will.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hello, Ki Choi. Did you ever get to the point with the Oscar to where you cold pet him on the head? Your Oscar mimicked the things mine did and they are a great fish to have. Honestly, the only type of fish I ever had that came with a "personality", if you will.

Not quite but I would turn on the black aquarium light and give him his treat (gold fish) and turn the room light off - play the 1812 Overture on Telarc label for the fire works! It was awesome!

soundsbeyondspecs

Jan 19, 2013
North Florida, USA
Nice aquarium shops seem to becoming more scarce than vintage audio repair shops. I stumbled on stunning multi-colored Peacock cichlids at Daytona Aquarium (a breeder) several years back. Some call them Blueberries. I located matching females on Ebay and bred them with the healthiest looking male using two small tanks. I keep the female Peacocks separated for future breeding. About 60 male offspring went into a 180 with several Parrot cichlids and Yellow Labs and the three types get along well. The Labs reproduce easily with good cover in the 180. The Peacock offspring required a more protected environment for several months. I also have a 72 bow-front to separate out more aggressive and rock cichlids from the community 180. It's was a childhood hobby that I continue to enjoy. That Arawana tank looked great. Black Ghost Knives would be a very cool tank, too. We must impose self-limits !

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
I'm a Discus fan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 112

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
image.jpg Here is a shot of my breeding pair. Please notice the small fry around the cone.

Last edited:

soundsbeyondspecs

Jan 19, 2013
North Florida, USA
Doc, Thank you for the registration assistance and etudes, beautiful discus and a long-time favorite of mine. I also use a clean glass floor to breed Peacocks. The Daytona breeder recommended full sunlight and live plants. He said full sunlight helps to promote the best colors and they thrive more by adding live plants as a part of their earliest diet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing