pressing quality vs. system quality

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Not sure if there's an easy answer here.

At what point does a turntable sytem surpass the quality of the cutting and pressing of the vinyl?

I enjoy seeing all of the amazing equipment out there. I don't know a lot about the cutting and pressing of vinyl but there must be a point when higher and higher quality reproduction becomes moot, at in regards to the information contained in the grooves.

Can pressing plant "A" have a better cutter than plant "B"?

Again, there must be a point when the quality of a turntable system surpasses the limits of the cutter/pressing quality.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Not sure if there's an easy answer here.

At what point does a turntable sytem surpass the quality of the cutting and pressing of the vinyl?

I enjoy seeing all of the amazing equipment out there. I don't know a lot about the cutting and pressing of vinyl but there must be a point when higher and higher quality reproduction becomes moot, at in regards to the information contained in the grooves.

Again, there must be a point when the quality of a turntable system surpasses the limits of the cutter/pressing quality.

i'm going to re-phrase your question to my understanding of what you are trying to ask;

has the very very best hardware (tt's, cartridges, arms) found all the information in the grooves of the best pressings?

and the answer is absolutely not. i'm involved as an observer of very high performance tonearm development. i keep hearing improvments. mechanical devices are by nature imperfect. as they approach optimization there is less room for improvement, but i think there is still more to go.

and that is a good thing i think. and speaks to the wonderful format that vinyl is.

Last edited:

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
That's a great answer.

And based on your re-phrasing of my question, I will safely assume that not all pressing plants are equal.

On the surface that would seem ridiculously obvious. But my inderstanding is, very large record companies lke RCA, Capitol, etc. outsource the manufacturing of the discs themselves. So MFSL and RCA Red Seal probably use certain, particular plants to press thier high quality vinyl, no?

I ask this because I buy records mainly by small time artists and labels, pressed in small batches, sometimes 500 or less. Many that I acquire are manufactured by Pirates Press, a European based manufacturer.

While I don't, actually can't, contribute much here I do enjoy perusing these forums.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
and the fact that there is so much information on an Lp, it's mastered with lots of moving mechanical parts, and it's read mechanically causes large variations of performance both on the pressing side and playing side.

and then you add in the variation of the source for the pressing with time and differences in approach and even vinyl formulations and thickness, yes pressings do vary.

all that said, there are quite a few consistent things you can somewhat trust when acquiring pressings that will get you to the good stuff. there are dozens of forums and thousands of opinions on that subject.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
if you're asking whether you can discern good mastering from bad mastering on an average or mid-fi deck, imo, yes pretty easliy. I think what mike is saying that the current SOTA in 'tables still has a way to go the extract everything pressed in the groves.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
'

The turntable used at home will not surpass the quality of the cutting lathe used to make the master. Mastering engineers always have to be mindful not to cut grooves that can't be tracked by arms/cartridges because they easily can.

If this question means to say can pressing plant "A" press better records than pressing plant "B," the answer is yes. Better machines, better quality vinyl, and better trained personnel. Most pressing plants don't have their own lathes and cut their own masters.

If you have a crappy pressing, a Kenner Close and Play record player will exceed the quality of the pressing (well-almost). We are nowhere near having turntable systems at home that exceed the quality/capability of what the cutting lathe is capable of doing.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
We are nowhere near having turntable systems at home that exceed the quality/capability of what the cutting lathe is capable of doing.

By the looks of some of these systems I see online (the eyecandy thread) I never would have thought that.

As I mentioned before, I don't know a lot about HOW records are manufactured but I am learning more, thanks in large part to websites like this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing