Dspeaker anti-mode 2.0 Dual Core Processor - Anyone try it?

C.T.Toad

Jan 23, 2013
Coastal South Jersey
Welcome to the forum Chris and thanks for sharing first hand info on this product. I have only seen and played with it at shows so your experience with it especially with those graphs was a good read. It did exactly as it should by knocking down the peaks.

Thank you for the warm welcome.:cool:

Yes knocking the peaks down is most important, but what impressed me the most was the closing of the "hole" I had in the 20-80hz region.
By placing the subs in corners and "cranking up the volume" the Dual Core did its job by knocking down the peaks and subsequently narrowed the "hole". The dip is a natural occurrence due to my ceiling height and is now so small it isn't audible. Notice too how the dip occurs in 60hz multiples, 60,120,180,...
Reading measurements is all kind of new to me , and I find it very interesting.

Chris

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Tim @ SimpliFI. I have been thinking of getting a unit to try it out too. One of my 'big plans' this year (after the demo room is finished) is to get a whole bunch of DSP platforms together and have an old fashioned shoot out :)

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Chris - thanks your post explained a problem Iwas having. Don, I ordered mine from the Cable Company. I actually really like this for speaker placement as measurements are simply and quickly done although the postage sized screen's not so resolving. Here's an un-smoothed pic of my room, both channels summed, including subwoofers. The subs are cranked up a little too high here obviously. This really sounds quite good uncorrected.

Both9ftLP360and24dB.jpg

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
That is with or without correction? Looks pretty good, but what are the units on the y-axis (how many dB/division)?

I have a separate measurement system so can live with the low-res screen. I can also live with cut-only; ultimately it does not really matter, and not boosting means not sending gobs of power where it does no good.

My room response does not look all that great even with MCACC; one reason I tempted to try something with more filter bands.

C.T.Toad

Jan 23, 2013
Coastal South Jersey
Gents,

Your welcome...glad I could help out.

I'm using my Dual Core as a Preamp, dac, and room correction devise.

How are the rest of you implementing the Dual Core in your system?

My set up is as follows: 47 Labs Flatfish Transport Coaxial Out > MSB Digital Director Optical Out > Dual Core SPDIF Optical In > XLR Out with XLR-RCA DNM HFTN Cable > 2 Channel Amp and RCA Out with DNM HFTN Cable to Subs.

Flatfish, Digital Director and Dual Core are all off the grid powered by a custom 12v battery power supply. Amp is plugged into the wall.

I found the Dual Core to sound best on the battery than with the supplied walwort power supply. The sound is less hard and much more analog in nature. If you are using the internal Dac via SPDIF or USB I would recommend giving a this a try. The Dac in the Dual Core is a real serious performer. I had a Buffalo 2 Dac connected to the Analog inputs and could toggle between it and the SPDIF input. The Flatfish has 2 Coax Outs so I could play one disc and switch between the two in real time. It took about two weeks of testing and the Buffalo 2 Dac has since found a new home. Again YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), but I think giving the Dual Core Dac a listen to is a very good idea.

Chris

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've got one on order for my subs (even though my SSP has Audyssey).

Steve: This could be a great solution for you: Place it in front of your subs so won't affect the mids/highs; lots of flexibility; no PC required; has a lot more capability than the EQ in your subs; very reasonably priced ($1100); Robert Green of TAS has reviewed every room correction product out there for the last 20 years (starting with the SigTech)and he raves about this thing; and while, in your application, it converts the analog signal to digital and back, it does so at a high sampling rate and I would be flabbergasted if it were not totally transparent given it is only working on your subs; and if it does not meet your needs, turn around and sell it and maybe lose $200.

I've been reading this thread with great interest and am hoping to revive it with a few questions to owners.......

1. It seems the DC power supply for an additional $500 is the way to go

2. Are you limited to EQ "everything"below 300 Hz or can one specify say EQing only 125 Hz and below

3. Can you EQ "only" your subs or do you have to EQ the entire system....I run my X-2's full range and use my subs to supplement everything below 43 Hz. I do this in the following fashion....my preamp has two "line outs". Line one goes to my main amps and hence to my X-2's. Line 2 out goes to my left and right channel Fathoms which are crossed at 43 Hz using a 12 Db slope. I am wondering if I can attach the DSpeaker only in Line 2 out between my preamp and the Fathom subs OR in order to properly EQ will it make me use the Fathom's solely for the bottom end and crossover to the X-2's without using the X-2's full range. IOW right now I am using my X-2's full range with the Fathom subs supplementing the bottom end. Right now my Fathom subs allow for Automatic Room Optimization by them selves without the main speakers. Can I do the same using the DSpeaker only for my subs and continue to run my X-2's full range AND can I EQ from 125 Hz down or is it only from 300Hz down (as this implies that the speakers are not used full range--or am I missing something? :confused:

I am aware of REG's big endorsement of this product

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I've been reading this thread with great interest and am hoping to revive it with a few questions to owners.......

1. It seems the DC power supply for an additional $500 is the way to go

2. Are you limited to EQ "everything"below 300 Hz or can one specify say EQing only 125 Hz and below

3. Can you EQ "only" your subs or do you have to EQ the entire system....I run my X-2's full range and use my subs to supplement everything below 43 Hz. I do this in the following fashion....my preamp has two "line outs". Line one goes to my main amps and hence to my X-2's. Line 2 out goes to my left and right channel Fathoms which are crossed at 43 Hz using a 12 Db slope. I am wondering if I can attach the DSpeaker only in Line 2 out between my preamp and the Fathom subs OR in order to properly EQ will it make me use the Fathom's solely for the bottom end and crossover to the X-2's without using the X-2's full range. IOW right now I am using my X-2's full range with the Fathom subs supplementing the bottom end. Right now my Fathom subs allow for Automatic Room Optimization by them selves without the main speakers. Can I do the same using the DSpeaker only for my subs and continue to run my X-2's full range AND can I EQ from 125 Hz down or is it only from 300Hz down (as this implies that the speakers are not used full range--or am I missing something? :confused:

I am aware of REG's big endorsement of this product

Hi Steve:

The importer/distributor is actually a local guy down here in San Diego.

A friend of mine on the east coast bought one and absolutely loves it.

He uses a battery pack to power it.

YES< you can use it just to EQ your subs.

Steve Williams

Hi Steve:

The importer/distributor is actually a local guy down here in San Diego.

A friend of mine on the east coast bought one and absolutely loves it.

He uses a battery pack to power it.

YES< you can use it just to EQ your subs.
well if you EQ just the subs are you still having to EQ "everything" below 300 Hz which to me is more than just subs

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
As listed, I'm a dealer for the DSPeaker.

In addition to the answers above, you can set the point (hz) at which RC/EQ starts. I RC/EQ just the subs in my Scaena rig, works beautifully IMO. You can also use it as a sub crossover, setting points and slopes.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Oct 15, 2012

Hey Steve,

It’s difficult to follow all that, but bottom line, if you connect the Antimode between your pre-amp output and the subs, the only thing that will get equalized is the subs. And if your sub is filtered at 43 Hz, there is no way the EQ can affect all the way up to 300 Hz. That seems painfully obviously, so maybe I’m missing something?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Steve Williams

Hey Steve,

It’s difficult to follow all that, but bottom line, if you connect the Antimode between your pre-amp output and the subs, the only thing that will get equalized is the subs. And if your sub is filtered at 43 Hz, there is no way the EQ can affect all the way up to 300 Hz. That seems painfully obviously, so maybe I’m missing something?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

you're not but have answered my question. I wanted to be certain that I didn't have to use the subs integrated into the bottom end crossing out the X-2's'. IOW I want to run my X-2's full range and use the subs to supplement the bottom end.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Oct 15, 2012

I thought that's what you were saying, but I wasn’t entirely certain. :) Basically, the Antimode can’t equalize your main speakers unless you connect it between your pre-amp line 1 output and mains amp. In your case, connecting it between the line 2 out and subwoofers, the Antimode will – can - only equalize below 43 Hz. The potential disadvantage: if you have problems with bass response above 43 Hz, you can’t do any equalization to address it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Steve,

How does the response look with the subs switched off and the X2's run full-range? There are two "questions" that are posed here:

1. Are there bass anomalies that the X2's are causing in the bass below 125Hz?

2. Are there helpful or harmful interactions between the subs and X2's in that range when they're both playing? Will equalizing the subs only act to increase or decrease any anomalies....

Lee

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
StereoFrequency.jpg

After more than 100 hours of adjusting the 3-way Pass Labs crossover frequencies, moving the speakers/subs, the listening position, and exactly level matching the 3 pairs of L/R channels at the amp outputs, here's the unsmoothed frequency response of my system in a partially treated room before any equalization. As Dspeaker users know, the horizontal grid lines are in 6dB increments. I don't see how anyone can use an active crossover effectively without measurement tools (It only took me 25 years...)!

I may try using tuned bass membrane traps first, before equalization, to bring down the peaks at 100Hz and 40 Hz. Thankfully the 2 big modal dips and peaks are pretty narrow and not more than 6-9dB from average. The subs purposely have been given ~3dB of boost and the speaker toe-in is adjusted slightly outward off the direct listening axis to roll off the highs just a little bit. The dip at about 3K I think is from the only remaining speaker internal passive crossover.

I am having a challenge getting the Dspeaker to save multiple settings in Measurement Mode. Only getting "Measurement A", and can't seem to get the "Left" & "Right" only speaker responses when I want to see them separately, just get "Both". Any helpful ideas?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing