Rockport Arrakis

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hah-haaahh! i've not only seen this before...i've posted this elsewhere in WBF. it drove me mad to hear this level of clarity on a recording i know...and off a little snipit. For the record, the only speaker i would seriously wish to find 2nd hand (older generation) for a trade up from my X1s would be this puppy. I have heard nothing but superlatives from anyone i have ever spoken to...not a single bad comment.

And as for this system...yes, and it has since imrpoved since this video...he now uses the Gryphon Mephisto monos...2 sets! And the digital has also improved from Emm Labs to the latest CH Precision.

Enjoy! Have you heard Arrakis before? I have only heard the Merak Sheritans which are almost certainly a far cry from these...but was very impressed for the money.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hah-haaahh! i've not only seen this before...i've posted this elsewhere in WBF.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
It drove me mad to hear this level of clarity on a recording i know...and off a little snipit. For the record, the only speaker i would seriously wish to find 2nd hand (older generation) for a trade up from my X1s would be this puppy
.The current economic volatility makes that a possibility.
I have heard nothing but superlatives from anyone i have ever spoken to...not a single bad comment.

And as for this system...yes, and it has since imrpoved since this video...he now uses the Gryphon Mephisto monos...2 sets! And the digital has also improved from Emm Labs to the latest CH Precision.

Enjoy! Have you heard Arrakis before?
I have heard Rockport at a show
I have only heard the Merak Sheritans which are almost certainly a far cry from these...but was very impressed for the money.

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
For the record, the only speaker i would seriously wish to find 2nd hand (older generation) for a trade up from my X1s would be this puppy.

The Altair would also be huge upgrade for you. You'd be amazed how much improved your low end heft and weight would be with Altair, and the math fro a trade up would be much easier for you. Used Arrakis virtually never show up, also.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Altair would also be huge upgrade for you. You'd be amazed how much improved your low end heft and weight would be with Altair, and the math fro a trade up would be much easier for you. Used Arrakis virtually never show up, also.

Thanks trponhunter. I have my sights set on an Arrakis someday, so rather than go incremental steps...i intend someday to find the one. I actually did find a second hand pair, but the timing was wrong. Not worried...i am disciplined and very patient on this kind of stuff. And i have nothing to complain about at home either.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Great vid enjoyed that !!
I like the wall /room insulation and that doorhandle , i think its the same guy with the bugatti veyron in the garage .
( if just the stockmarket would drop 30 % then i might ...):D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great vid enjoyed that !!
I like the wall /room insulation and that doorhandle , i think its the same guy with the bugatti veyron in the garage .
( if just the stockmarket would drop 30 % then i might ...):D

That is correct...there are several pictures of him and his system here on WBF. He also has shots with Flemming Rasmussen of Gryphon, along with [i believe] his wife standing in front of a garage with [from memory] a Bentley, Mercedes, Bugatti, and one other car (Lexus SUV?)

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Actually I think he is a dealer or possibly distributor in Hong Kong of Rockport Technologies. He also has three Sirius III turntables.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Actually I think he is a dealer or possibly distributor in Hong Kong of Rockport Technologies. He also has three Sirius III turntables.

I think i read that the system was in Taiwan? As for turntables...the photos are here somewhere on WBF...incredible collection of turntables!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry, I mistook that setup with Ernest Lau's setup. Rockport Arrakis 2 biamped with 1 set of VTL Siegfried and one S-400.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/asia_2.htm

Yes, I have seen pictures of Ernie Lau's system as well...i intend to visit when i am next in Hong Kong. I would love to hear the Arrakis, though i have to admit, the system in Taiwan seems 'extra special' given the extreme dedication in designing the room, the cable set up, and [of course one of my favorites]...the amplification.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I wonder how the A/C sound interacts in the room, and found just a few AC receptacles, so I assume it all runs at 220V. (full of envy!) :)

hifikontoen

Dec 19, 2011

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks...would really enjoy hearing the Arrakis play this soundtrack in person. I have both the version you posted and another later version. Both great...prefer the latter. Would enjoy hearing either on Arrakis!!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing