Classical Crossover, Neoclassical, and Classical with a modern beat

zepherman

Jun 25, 2010
The Sunny Southwest
This is one area that I have not seen much (if any) discussion about in any forum I've been to. Do any of you listen to this variation of Classical? I really enjoy the original works by the great masters,but I also like to listen to the various interpretations of the Classics.

Here are some that I highly recommend (Click on images to listen to samples)

Danney Alkana- Rock the Bach

Wolf Hoffmann- Classical

Escala

Paul Mauriat- Classical Best Selection

Seth

Attachments

• Paul Mauriat- Cla&#11.jpg
    Paul Mauriat- Cla&#11.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 676

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

This brings me back some childhood memories.. When a teenager 10~14 I was a big fan of Paul Mauriat .. He has an interesting album in which he wrote and perfromed Orchestral arrangements for Chopin pieces that were originally written strictly for piano ...
Other Trials I remember were a Deutsch group called the EKseptions which rose to some prominence in the mid-70s and Waldo De Los Rios who re-aranged CLassical pieces in contemporary tones... I remember vividly his Moartmania and his (now to me very bizarre) re-arrangement of Wagner Valkyries
I must say that these have not held much of the magic they had when I was teenager ... maturity?

Frantz

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just put Escala in my cart at Amazon and spent half hour watching their Britain Got Talent videos. As I suspected, it is more fun watching them play but still, the album is quite fresh take on classical music turned modern. Love the haunting and darker tones in there.

So thanks for the introduction!

zepherman

Jun 25, 2010
The Sunny Southwest
Hi

This brings me back some childhood memories.. When a teenager 10~14 I was a big fan of Paul Mauriat .. He has an interesting album in which he wrote and perfromed Orchestral arrangements for Chopin pieces that were originally written strictly for piano ...
Other Trials I remember were a Deutsch group called the EKseptions which rose to some prominence in the mid-70s and Waldo De Los Rios who re-aranged CLassical pieces in contemporary tones... I remember vividly his Moartmania and his (now to me very bizarre) re-arrangement of Wagner Valkyries
I must say that these have not held much of the magic they had when I was teenager ... maturity?

Frantz

Thanks for sharing the interesting info on Paul Mauriat's earlier works, and for sharing the names of the other artists.

Seth

zepherman

Jun 25, 2010
The Sunny Southwest
Just put Escala in my cart at Amazon and spent half hour watching their Britain Got Talent videos. As I suspected, it is more fun watching them play but still, the album is quite fresh take on classical music turned modern. Love the haunting and darker tones in there.

So thanks for the introduction!

You're welcome.:)

Yeah I also saw their Britain Got Talent videos, and I must say that those gals are very gifted. While Bond is somewhat similar, I actually prefer Escala's take on these works. It's edgier and just more involving. I really hope that they release another album soon.

Seth

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Escala's take on Robert Miles' Children was fantastic. Thanks for the intro!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I did enjoy some of these in my youth .. I must say however that they are the equivalent of Tang for the most part ... If you have aqccess to Real Orange Juice, better have it .. It's the real thing .. These are as far as they can be from the Real thing too.. They can serve as fun introduction but be careful not to take them more seriously than they are really worth .. Caveat Emptor

Frantz

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Frantz, I don't think any of us confuse these pieces for classical music. But rather, we hear them as enjoyable modern creations which happen to be based on classical themes as their root. I think the best analogy is liking Coke versus Orange Juice. :)

I only listen to a bit of classical music (Vivaldi, etc) that I enjoy. For the rest, it just isn't for me. But I do enjoy modern creations of the same.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I see it in a more positive perspective.

What I like about classical crossover is that it is a musical two way street. We can have modern songs done in a classical style or classics done in a modern style. When done right it can be very refreshing. Like any other genre, when done wrong..............

As for real orange juice, even on a purely performance basis not counting the quality of the recording one could have a wide range of preferences between interpretations of various conductors and soloists. This also makes it extremely enjoyable for me and keeps the pieces fresh. A reason I have many recordings of my favorite pieces done by different conductors/orchestras/soloists. I must confess that never has a crossover version toppled a classic rendition of a classical piece in my book and this includes works of crossover vocalists like Jenkins, Sissel, Church et al. Yet, thanks to this thread, the crossover rendition of the Dance Anthem "Children" gobsmacked the original modern song by Robert Miles, so much I think I am now loath to listen to the original which now comes of as emotionally flat and somewhat contrived despite almost two decades of dance culture cult status. And even if none of the crossover takes has gotten the top spot, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying said versions given a particular mood or within the context of different playlists under construction.

What I find best about it is that crossover artists serve to broaden the classical market and this will hopefully make more people seek out their local orchestras and buy tickets. To keep classical music alive, the houses must keep their doors open. Where else can the conservatory graduates go to mature and master their crafts? Surely not at corporate events and weddings!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing