Oppo Sites Attract!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Rob what extra does one get with the SE version?

This is from Oppo's Web-site....(I've bolded the parts that I think are most pertinent)

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player is an exciting upgrade based on the highly acclaimed BDP-83. Already well known for its exceptional audio and video performance, the BDP-83 is upgraded with an all new analog audio stage and improved power supply to become the Special Edition. Designed for the discerning audio enthusiast, the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player delivers an exceptionally wide dynamic range, ultra low distortion, accurate sound stage and jitter-free music clarity via its dedicated stereo and 7.1ch analog audio output.

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. The Sabre32 family is known as one of the industry's highest performance audio DACs and are often found in high-end audiophile and professional equipments. The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses an 8-channel Sabre Premier (ES9006) DAC chip for its 7.1 multi-channel output. The dedicated stereo output uses another 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels to achieve even greater audio performance.

Just like the BDP-83 it is based on, the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition is a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player featuring bit-stream and full decoding capability for high resolution audio tracks such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Designed for both home theater viewers and music listeners, it plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD) and standard CD with excellent video and audio performance in addition to Blu-ray Discs. For a detailed list of features, please refer to the BDP-83 Features and Specifications page.

OPPO Digital recommends the BDP-83 Special Edition to customers who primarily use the analog audio output to connect to either a dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system. For customers who primarily use the HDMI output to connect to an A/V receiver or directly to a TV/projector, and for customers who primarily use the optical/coaxial digital audio output, the standard BDP-83 is recommended.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

OPPO Digital recommends the BDP-83 Special Edition to customers who primarily use the analog audio output to connect to either a dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system. For customers who primarily use the HDMI output to connect to an A/V receiver or directly to a TV/projector, and for customers who primarily use the optical/coaxial digital audio output, the standard BDP-83 is recommended.

this says it all

Thanks

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Bill

I read your posts and I gather you got the SE version because you are running analog out? What sonic benefit are you hearing with the S version and have you compared the 83 to the 83SE

Steve, I haven't compared the two. So I really can't give an opinion on the differences. I can say that one of my concerns with getting my new speakers was the quality of my old CD player. When I read such great reviews on the Oppo SE, I thought at the very least, it would make great stop-gap player until I could get a more premium CD/SACD player. As it turns out, the Oppo SE sounds very good using the dedicated 2 channel out, and I will be more than able to live with it. As far as Blu-ray goes, I think this player is simply outstanding. I had 2 BD players previous to the Oppo. An LG, and a Panasonic. The number one thing that slapped me in the face when firing up the Oppo was how much more snap, and striking the picture of the Oppo was over my other two BD players. And it's load time and reaction time makes the player a real pleasure to operate (again, comparing to the LG and Panasonic). Not feeling clunky in the least. Audio wise, It's no competitor to something like the Playback Designs. However, April's Sterophile liked it enough to put in their 'A' catagory of recommended SACD, DVD-A, CD Players. The Playback Designs is in the 'A+' catagory (of course!) :cool:

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Have they updated the Lexicon to decode all of the latest blu-ray audio codecs?

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Are you going to go SE? With this trio of blu-ray players, I just think Oppo proves again that they get it and they've nailed it.

If you don't need the audio or video processing capability and plan to do that downstream -- go with the BD-80.

If you want the step up video processing and plan to do it in the player instead of downstream -- go with the BD-83.

If you want the improved audio (DAC, power supply, all of the latest blu-ray audio Codecs) plan to do it in the player using analog outs + or - the video processing capability -- go with the BD-83. SE.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The BD-80 wasn't available when I bought my BD-83, so I have a BD-83, but I do not use the Oppo for Video processing, I let the Sim2 C3X 1080 do all of the processing because I believe it has the best video processing in the chain.

In my case, I needed a player that would output the purest digital video signal, what they call "Source Direct" so I can let the Sim2 do that job with a clean signal. I had a Pioneer Elite that had source direct, but it was slow and problematic so I got rid of it. When I was shopping, there were few other players that let you choose source direct or provided for such a clean digital signal out and none of them had Oppo's fast load times and hassle free operation.

This Source Direct capability, which all of the Oppo players have, also enables the Oppo to be used in the most high end systems because it pairs so well with a high end outboard video processor or with a flat screen or projector that offers top notch processing.

There may be a blu-ray player or two out there that can equal or beat the Oppo BD-83 SE's analogue out -- I don't know, I haven't kept up, but I doubt you'll get such fast load and response times or problem free playback and you'll pay exponentially more for them.

A lot of audio junkies will want to do their Digital to Analogue conversion downstream anyway, so all you would get with the more expensive players that compete with Oppo would be poorer load and response, more problematic firmware updates, and the opportunity to pay for audio capability that you won't be using anyway.

Steve, in your case, I could see you going with the SE only because it would allow you to enjoy the latest HD Audio codecs by using analog out from the Oppo and passing it through the lexicon without further processing. It'd be interesting to A/B that against using digital out to the Lexicon and in many cases using the lesser codecs.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Steve, in your case, I could see you going with the SE only because it would allow you to enjoy the latest HD Audio codecs by using analog out from the Oppo and passing it through the lexicon without further processing. It'd be interesting to A/B that against using digital out to the Lexicon and in many cases using the lesser codecs.

very interesting thought Rob

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net

I second that. It was one of the reasons I went with the SE as well (since my older Pre/Pro also doesn't handle these Codecs). However, keep in mind that you will also have to contend with the -10dB on the LFE of the 7.1 analog outs of this unit.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing