Technical and Artistic Use of Surround Sound Recording: Live or Artificial?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
A brief discussion outside this forum prompted me to ask those who can examine both sides of this issue.

It was mentioned that discrete surround recordings that create the "musicians all around me" effect were superior to the "surrounds as ambient enhancement" methodology. I proposed that we hear almost all live music performed from the perspective that we "look at the stage" and that we almost never attend a live concert where the musical instruments are discretely surrounding us (Pink Floyd, etc. with use of surround effects noted).

I stated that only Elvis Costello has Diana Krall sitting on his lap when she sings, and the rest of us have to listen to her from the audience's vantage point!;)

While music may be enjoyed when either perspective of presentation is used, which do you feel is more satisfying? Do you find that the audience vantage point method provides the extra "illusion" that you are looking at the live performance, while the "musicians around me" perspective is so artificial because you would not hear a live performance that way?

Lee

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I prefer the audience perspective.... I didn't like the "middle of the orchestra" perspective that 2L gives you.

That being said, one of our clients, David Miles Huber, records in surround with interesing musical elements going on in all 6 or 8 speakers!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing