What is the most highly resolving speaker you have ever heard?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Late to the party...

and haven't perused it in its entirety, but my response would be -- unequivocally -- Hill Plasmatronics :p

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is a wonder box speakers have not gone the way of dino saurs.We lavish so much attention on the obvious faults. When you eliminate the box, crossover and cone driver you are way ahead of the game

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
First I saw this thread and its an easy answer: Coincident Pure Reference Extreme. See my review in TAS. The speakers uses accuton drivers (upper freqs) and has one cap in the crossover as I remember. It is amazing accurate and also amazing lifelike.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
From their Web site ....

"Additionally, the front baffle is sloped which results in perfect time alignment between the drivers.The sonic consequence is disarming realism in reproduction."

Hmmm , Physical .... :)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Before december 2012 it was Acoustat DIY Spectra 6600s
Acoustat Spectra 6600 & MrAcoustat.jpg

After december 2012 now it's Acoustat DIY Spectra 8800s
Acoustat Spectra 8800 05.jpg

Both rebuilt by Jocelyn Jeanson Quebec Canada, dollar for dollar i have yet to hear better ( for me of course )

This one is the baby of the family the Acoustat 1+1 - - - 14x94x3 weight 200 pounds All steel 2x3 frame. MrAcoustat     Keep It Simple.jpg

Last edited:

merrillaudio

Before december 2012 it was Acoustat DIY Spectra 6600s

After december 2012 now is Acoustat DIY Spectra 8800s

Both rebuilt by Jocelyn Jeanson Quebec Canada

Can you adopt me! Who says big isn't better?

I recently got the Sanders Sound ESL that comes with a 10" woofer, bi-amped. While it may not beat plasma and it does have some quirks like narrow listening area, it does have a lot more wonderful properties - microdetail (flies, drum squeaks, violins breathing - given to me by a Broadway actress). It also has very good bass. surprisingly, partly because it is so directional, it does not have a lot of issues with the room set up. In fact it sounds better asymmetrical. That may also be because I am a little asymmetrical.

With speakers, as some of the other esteemed members noted, is one part of the equation. Amp + source + interconnects + active crossover + speaker cable = sound. I am sure I left something out. Ohhh where is Einstein when you need him.

Some descriptions of what I hear. Of course all the detail. The music is much more present, compare to ML, Quads which I have heard. The dimensionalality (not approved by Oxford dictionary) is much larger as is the image height.

My perception (which is obviously not reality) is that the accuracy brings about brilliance rather the a rounded, smoother image, richer (higher) mids which lose some detail. My time is up, I have to get back into my straight jack now......$%*@&)S

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Now there’s a speaker with a high level of WAF! It sort of reminds me of a 2012 mannequin version of the DQ-10.

We talk about the ability of a speaker to disappear...this one would disappear literally. My wife we make certain of it..

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
I've heard a number of speakers that have been designed to pull out "extra" details by using both a raised top range and probably some dynamic compression as well. They sound very impressive at first listen, but they get me tired in the long run. So for me the question is which one is the best I've heard that doesn't do this. Besides the one's I have myself, I would think the big B&Ws would be my pick. Haven't yet heard TAD, but they do get good reviews by people I generally share views with, so that might be a direction to look in. A few years back, Revel was doing a good job, no idea if they have kept the game up.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
We talk about the ability of a speaker to disappear...this one would disappear literally. My wife we make certain of it..

W.A.F - W.A.F. - W.A.F. For some it is still The man of the house, it's my way or the highway.:):):) Of course my wife doesn't read this forum.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
W.A.F - W.A.F. - W.A.F. For some it is still The man of the house, it's my way or the highway.:):):) Of course my wife doesn't read this forum.

Some of us have a wife that realizes she's more out of a happy husband than prioritizing home design. And she also likes to play her music loud when I'm away, it's been told. :cool:

Perhaps my system can be used as a warning example, so the speakers you were planning to get seems a good compromize for her. :p

jonboi

Dec 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
For me, Quad 989's, B&W 800D's and B&O Beolab 5's - I've heard them all individually and not side by side, so picking a 'winner' is difficult.

Desert island choice?

Beolab 5's would be my dream speaker out of the three, speaking personally of course

Happy New Year to All

John...

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Well for me it's easy i love MOST panels, simple because i'm a pro panel kind of guy, but i do like good sound panels or boxes when it's good it's good, for a few years now i have been spending many many hours in the MBL rooms at the Montreal show's thank's Jeremy, i had the chance to listend to lot's of music on a few great MBL systems, the small Corona line & the medium Reference line, these are a couple of systems that could make me forget my Acoustat's TRUE, but for alot more money.:):):)

PS: Now all i have to do is WIN THE LOTTERY. :):):)

MBL Référence System.jpg
MBL Corona System.jpg
MBL-101 Speaker.jpg
MBL Extreme.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I think I just heard a pair tonight... PTE Phoenix in the nearfield..... never heard speakers dig out as much detail as these!

prerich

May 21, 2012
Ok here are my choices

Detail: Martin Logan CLX

Dynamics: Legacy Whisper XD and any of the large Klipsch Heritage speakers

Presence per say: Scaena 3.4 (this speaker had a wide sweet spot!!!) I could move far left or far right and still obtain a stereo image.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing