What is the most highly resolving speaker you have ever heard?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Q7

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
The Q5 with subs or one of the Rockport speakers (the model number escapes me)

Surprised to hear this, was it one of the new generation with the beryllium tweeter? I have owned the Ankaa's with the soft dome tweeter and found them somewhat dark & closed sounding, wouldn't call these resolving speakers by any means.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
There we go - I was expecting electrostatics and speakers featuring ribbon tweeters to be popping up :)

the 'hard part' of resolution is linearity in the mid-bass, not the top end. how can you get body, seamlessness and speed together thru that region so important to vocals?

there are plenty of highly resolving tweeters out there.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There we go - I was expecting electrostatics and speakers featuring ribbon tweeters to be popping up :)

It will depend on what people consider a resolving speaker. You can have resolution related to detail, dynamics, localization and nuance. Sometimes a loudspeaker which excels in one of these aspects is not the best in the others.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
It will depend on what people consider a resolving speaker. You can have resolution related to detail, dynamics, localization and nuance. Sometimes a loudspeaker which excels in one of these aspects is not the best in the others.

Micro, could you expand on your interpretation of resolution? What I had in mind was the ability to resolve fine micro detail across the spectrum.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

My Infinity IRS Series V. Ribbon Planar tweeters AND Midranges.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro, could you expand on your interpretation of resolution? What I had in mind was the ability to resolve fine micro detail across the spectrum.

I will do it later. I will look for examples in the Gregorio Paniagua La Folia from Harmonia Mundi to illustrate it.

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
Plasma

The Hill Plasma loudspeaker from 700 hz on up will outperform anything on the market today. Resolution, detail, transients
are a so very real, without fatigue (once heard one gets spoiled with other loudspeakers). To this day there is no other
loudspeaker except (lansche plasma is second best from 2500 hz on up). State of the art, yes, but impractical.
IMG_0453.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm surprised no one has said the Yamaha NS-10

Every studio had those....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Could you please give an example based on a recording that we all probably own what constitutes "fine micro detail?" I would like to know exactly what you mean by this and an example of what "fine micro detail" sounds like.
Thanks. And no, I'm not looking to set you up. I honestly want to know what you mean by this and have you give a concrete example that I can relate to.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
The Hill Plasma loudspeaker from 700 hz on up will outperform anything on the market today. Resolution, detail, transients
are a so very real, without fatigue (once heard one gets spoiled with other loudspeakers). To this day there is no other
loudspeaker except (lansche plasma is second best from 2500 hz on up). State of the art, yes, but impractical.

Plasma from 700Hz and up I can believe it. My plasmas go from 5kHz and up and are still incredibly finely resolving:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing