Arc Protractors and/or alignment tools.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've been using the free ones that I print out from the vinylengine site, but I'd like a "real" one without having to spend $250 for the Feickert one. What do you guys use and recommend?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The MintLP is the best. Turntable/tone arm specific. Great instructions. You'll be amazed at the difference between really close and 'spot on'.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The MintLP is the best. Turntable/tone arm specific. Great instructions. You'll be amazed at the difference between really close and 'spot on'.

Sweet....I'll check that out!:)

John Elison

Oct 22, 2012
I like arc protractors, but I like free arc protractors. There is a program developed by Conrad Hoffman that will generate a custom arc protractor for any length tonearm. You need to specify your tonearm's mounting distance and the inner and outer groove radii. It has dimension adjustment factors so you can print out an accurate protractor. Check it out at the following link:

http://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

WntrMute2

Sep 23, 2010
Royal Oak, Michigan
I used the free one also for a number of years. Recently, I ordered one from Ken Wiliis and find that one even better. Slightly soft plastic, custom printed for multiple tonearms or geometries. Mine has arcs for my SME-V as well as my Trans-Fi linear arm. Around $75.00.

Parallel.jpg

SME-V.jpg
kwillisjr@hotmail.com

Last edited:

John Elison

Oct 22, 2012
I have one of Ken's protractors, too. There's no question that it's one of the best. However, if you don't want to spend $75, you can make your own with Conrad Hoffman's excellent program. There is absolutely no difference in accuracy when you use the X-Y adjustment factors to get it right.

Arc protractors are the only type I use or recommend anymore. Of course, if you have a linear tracking tonearm, the arc with be a straight line. ;-)

Merry Christmas,
John Elison

WntrMute2

Sep 23, 2010
Royal Oak, Michigan
I have one of Ken's protractors, too. There's no question that it's one of the best. However, if you don't want to spend $75, you can make your own with Conrad Hoffman's excellent program. There is absolutely no difference in accuracy when you use the X-Y adjustment factors to get it right.

Arc protractors are the only type I use or recommend anymore. Of course, if you have a linear tracking tonearm, the arc with be a straight line. ;-)

Merry Christmas,
John Elison

No argument from me. One problem I had was cutting the spindle hole accurately. What I ended up doing was printing the protractor out on a piece of transparency film. Then I centered over the spindle hole in a light colored album (Grand Funk's gold one is cheap and available). I then taped the film securely to the record and using an Exacto knife, I cut out a large hole. I left the whole assembly like that and used it with great success after trimming the film to clear stuff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing