Thread: Arc Protractors and/or alignment tools.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar

Arc Protractors and/or alignment tools.

I've been using the free ones that I print out from the vinylengine site, but I'd like a "real" one without having to spend $250 for the Feickert one. What do you guys use and recommend?
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! jazdoc's Avatar
    The MintLP is the best. Turntable/tone arm specific. Great instructions. You'll be amazed at the difference between really close and 'spot on'.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jazdoc View Post
    The MintLP is the best. Turntable/tone arm specific. Great instructions. You'll be amazed at the difference between really close and 'spot on'.
    Sweet....I'll check that out!
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

I like arc protractors, but I like free arc protractors. There is a program developed by Conrad Hoffman that will generate a custom arc protractor for any length tonearm. You need to specify your tonearm's mounting distance and the inner and outer groove radii. It has dimension adjustment factors so you can print out an accurate protractor. Check it out at the following link:

http://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

I used the free one also for a number of years. Recently, I ordered one from Ken Wiliis and find that one even better. Slightly soft plastic, custom printed for multiple tonearms or geometries. Mine has arcs for my SME-V as well as my Trans-Fi linear arm. Around $75.00.

Name:  Parallel.jpg
Views: 3170
Size:  383.7 KB

Name:  SME-V.jpg
Views: 3446
Size:  332.8 KB
    kwillisjr@hotmail.com
    Last edited by WntrMute2; 12-25-2012 at 06:11 AM.

I have one of Ken's protractors, too. There's no question that it's one of the best. However, if you don't want to spend $75, you can make your own with Conrad Hoffman's excellent program. There is absolutely no difference in accuracy when you use the X-Y adjustment factors to get it right.

Arc protractors are the only type I use or recommend anymore. Of course, if you have a linear tracking tonearm, the arc with be a straight line. ;-)

Merry Christmas,
    John Elison

Quote Originally Posted by John Elison View Post
    I have one of Ken's protractors, too. There's no question that it's one of the best. However, if you don't want to spend $75, you can make your own with Conrad Hoffman's excellent program. There is absolutely no difference in accuracy when you use the X-Y adjustment factors to get it right.

Arc protractors are the only type I use or recommend anymore. Of course, if you have a linear tracking tonearm, the arc with be a straight line. ;-)

Merry Christmas,
    John Elison
    No argument from me. One problem I had was cutting the spindle hole accurately. What I ended up doing was printing the protractor out on a piece of transparency film. Then I centered over the spindle hole in a light colored album (Grand Funk's gold one is cheap and available). I then taped the film securely to the record and using an Exacto knife, I cut out a large hole. I left the whole assembly like that and used it with great success after trimming the film to clear stuff.

Another very happy Ken Willis customer here. I have a Mint Tractor for my previous arm. . .I like Ken's protractor better.

For those of you who like arc protractors, Ken Willis now has a webpage.

http://www.accutrak.us/