Stylus lifespan

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
First post here. Looks like a great forum.

I was wondering how many hours I can expect out of my phono stylus before it starts to wear, damage my vinyl etc.?

I play new or very lightly used vinyl, mainly 33 rpm's. I'm using a Rega P3-24 with an Elys 2 and I think it's tracking at 1.7 grams (set up that way when purchased).

I've heard numbers between 1000 - 2000 hours. Any and all comments are appreciated.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
First of all: welcome!

The life-span you can expect from a stylus depends on a number of variables, arguably the most important of which being how clean you keep your records and stylus, followed by how careful you are when cueing records. I recently had to replace my ~15 year old Lyra Parnassus because its suspension failed, so if you look after a good stylus it can last a LONG time!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

The life-span you can expect from a stylus depends on a number of variables, arguably the most important of which being how clean you keep your records and stylus, followed by how careful you are when cueing records. I recently had to replace my ~15 year old Lyra Parnassus because its suspension failed, so if you look after a good stylus it can last a LONG time!

I agree completely. Stylus-life is as dependent on you, the user, as it is to any proposed life expectancy or reasonable assumption. Perhaps there is a depreciation in quality after a set number of hours, but to what degree IMO is unknown.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Rich ?- You can expect an email shortly.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This is a question that I asked HP many years ago. His answer, basically....no one really knows. The on-set of damage to your records is generally considered as the beginning of the determinant that your stylus is worn out. Only problem is when exactly is that noticeable....:confused:

Most of us have heard records that are damaged by stylus wear ( to some extent or other)...BUT was that record damaged on the first play, the last play or some other time in between and how many hours did the cartridge/stylus have on it by that time. In the collector world, there is a belief that all records are damaged from the first play. Leading to some ONLY collecting the sealed record.
I don't happen to buy into that belief, BUT it's difficult to argue against.
I also am of the opinion that unless the diamond is mis-faceted, which can only be determined under a microscope...and assumes that one knows what the the original new shape looked like; that so long as no obvious distortion is being heard... most likely the stylus is ok., or not:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

I loved the Parnassus- I had the one with the magic magnets. It was a great cartridge.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I loved the Parnassus- I had the one with the magic magnets. It was a great cartridge.

That's the one I have. It's also why I'm hanging on to it: I'd like an Olympos SL to be a possibility one day, and an original Parnassus is a mandatory prerequisite to getting one!

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for the answers.

Again, I play mostly new or very clean records. I use an Alsop Orbitrac to remove surface debris when I see it, and even though Rega advises against it I use a carbon fiber brush that "tracks" the record as it plays, picking up dust. My pal teases me about how careful I handle my vinyl. I rarely use the cueing lever; I just stay focused when I'm handling the arm.

I have played old, worn records but it is rare. I did not really think an old record could damage a stylus as the diamond would be harder than the dirt in the grooves, but I may be wrong.

The place where I bought it said replace the cartridge after about 2000 hours. I guess they don't re-tip units like mine that go for only $250 or so. If I was going to have someone examine it under a microscope I'd need to R and R the cartridge. I'll keep spinning records and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
Just to complicate matters, I have the view that some cartridges wear better than others.Koetsus seem pretty resilient, Benzs perhaps less so. However, given the sample variations possible, it may well be conjecture. It is certainly true that clean vinyl helps, but so does a good arm, because it offers the stylus the best support.I feel that suspensions sag before needles wear much. suspension issues may be under estimated. Or not. All is mystery.BTW, am I the only one who found the Parnasus unusually sensitive to temperature.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Just to complicate matters, I have the view that some cartridges wear better than others.Koetsus seem pretty resilient, Benzs perhaps less so. However, given the sample variations possible, it may well be conjecture. It is certainly true that clean vinyl helps, but so does a good arm, because it offers the stylus the best support.I feel that suspensions sag before needles wear much. suspension issues may be under estimated. Or not. All is mystery.BTW, am I the only one who found the Parnasus unusually sensitive to temperature.

Paskinn, there are so many variables in cartridge wear that I do NOT think one could state that some cartridges wear better than others. Therefore, IMHO what you say is nothing BUT conjecture.
OTOH, I would agree that suspensions probably sag before needles wear much..that would seem logical.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Just mounted my second Goldfinger Statement. Got 2600 hours out of the first one. Over the last month I've been hearing increased sibilance and some distortion at dynamic peaks. Playing the new one for a couple of hours and the improvement is immediately detectable. Already sounds better than the unit it's replacing.

View attachment 13578

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Just mounted my second Goldfinger Statement. Got 2600 hours out of the first one. Over the last month I've been hearing increased sibilance and some distortion at dynamic peaks. Playing the new one for a couple of hours and the improvement is immediately detectable. Already sounds better than the unit it's replacing.

View attachment 13578

Let's hope that you didn't destroy some of your records. Unfortunately, by the time you hear increased sibilance and distortion, you have damaged the vinyl:(.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Let's hope that you didn't destroy some of your records. Unfortunately, by the time you hear increased sibilance and distortion, you have damaged the vinyl:(.

Thanks Davey. I think I'm ok. I didn't play too much vinyl once I started having problems. I played a couple of records that sounded particularly bad with the other cartridge and they sound great with the new one. I'm actually surprised how good the cartridge sounds during the first 3 hours or so of play.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing