Tidal Audio electronics - experiences anyone?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I'd like to hear what you think about Tidal Audio's electronics if you have any experience with them.

Thanks,
Roysen

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So hard to tell what a piece of equipment is like by itself if you haven't lived with it and tried a lot of other stuff you know well.

CES '08 with ESR, Argento, all new to me. The exhibitors were true gentlemen. I found the presentation leaning toward sterile. I can't live without at least one triode per channel though. That was a long time ago and I've stated my bias. Doesn't mean it wasn't someone else's cat's meow. Just not mine.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Roysen,

Somewhere in this Forum, i posted a long detailed description of my time listening to a set up put together by Tidal incorporating all their latest gear (2 years ago). Tidal Sunrays plus 2 subwoofer towers, 6 monoblocks and Tidal Ref preamp. Argento's best cabling throughout and the Tripoint Troy and Spartan...dedicated lines, and Stahl-Tek Vekian. In the end, compared the same tracks (different rooms) with Wilson XLF, ARC Ref 5, D'Agostino monos...X2 Series 2 full Krell Evo 1/2, ARC CD7...i never heard details on these tracks in any of the systems which i miraculously heard on the Tidal system. It was that much better in resolution...i cannot say if it was Tidal or Stahl-Tek...i just know i heard things i have never heard before with ease.

What i can also say is that Track 1 on Eric Clapton Unplugged (the crowd clapping before he starts playing) is a track i have been playing since the early '90s on every system i have ever tested...and it definitely felt bright to me. I said so, and suggested PAD Dominus cables for the Stahl-Tek...not knowing that Stahl-Tek is in full collaboration with PAD. Some have told me it was the cables so perhaps PAD would indeed have been a better match for the STahl-Tek...i cannot say for sure.

What i supposed you can take away from this...is that the Tidal stuff is clearly capable of doing some pretty incredible things on the resolution side, and the scale side. I played Reference Recordings...Vivaldi...wow...never felt before like i could nearly count the individual players and certainly could identify the harpsichord location, distance and space around the player. I have not come across resolution like that before...that said, i went home preferring the voicing i have at home for my own ears...Zanden, CJ, Gryphon and Wilsons with TA Ref XL cabling. That's just me.

my two cents.

audioforever

Jan 11, 2013
Just posted this elsewhere before finding this thread: I am looking for new speakers and would very much appreciate to get some information on the Tidal systems, particularly concerning the Tidal sound. Do you have any experience with these loudspeakers?

audioforever

calloway

Nov 3, 2011
danville,va
audioforever...i have / own Tidal 'Contriva Diacera -SE' speakers.they are...BY FAR...the most naturally sounding,musical speakers i have ever heard. i haven't heard every speaker,obviously, but would not trade even if i had. they are true to the information presented and do not color the sound. they just do everything right. i listen every night for at least 2 hrs and have no problem listening for hrs and hrs at a time.absolutely no fatigue. i use SET monoblocks to drive them and they easily accomplish this.i enjoy every type of music..well , not country, and they excel at all.the diamond tweeter is superb. the bass is tight.the mid range,glorious.i bought mine through doug white at 'thevoicethatis.com'.could not have been a better experience.thanks..dave

Last edited:

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
The Tidal Audio electronics are at the absolutely top of high end electronics.

They have a totally neutral but involving sound. The power amps are really the
"out of the system". They have no sounding at all.

The Pre-Amps are a minimum of a bit on the "warm side" and give the music
a touch of magic.
The internal phono stage is one of the best in the world (internally and externally)!
You only have to keep in mind that the gain is fixed at 55dB. My experiences are
extraordinary if you chose cartridges of a minimum of 0,45mV (at 5cm/s) output.

slàinte mhath

RaceDoc

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have only heard them at the Munich shows but for me they always sounded outstanding.
What always impressed me was was their natural musicality and ability to communicate with the listener, but the current range do require a good sized room.

calloway

Nov 3, 2011
danville,va
I agree completely with you guys views of the Tidal gear. I recently had a Magico dealer in my home to listen and he said the 'bar none' it was the best system he had ever heard.He said the speakers were 'not just superb ..they were fantastic'...There have been a number of audiophiles that have come by , from out of state too, and all have said the Tidal speakers were the best they had heard. They also said the amps may be the best anywhere...The only other owner of the Chalice Audio SET mono blocks...not by coincidence....also owns Tidal speakers..the T1 Sunrays..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing