LP-12 owners: What's your favorite cartridge?

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Hi, No regrets. Please do post your thoughts here once you have had a chance to listen to the other TT's. The AMG V12 would be high on my list, I have actually heard it on several occasions ( BUT not in my system) and it is a great TT. The tonearm that comes with the AMG is also a good one, so the complete package isn't too crazily priced. The Spiral Groove is also a major contender, having heard this one too, I think it would be a toss up between it and the AMG V12. OTOH, I am now a little wary as to how these TT's would stack up against my Linn; particularly after my experience with the Palmer. I do believe that one needs to hear any TT in question in one's own system.... a VERY difficult thing to accomplish, as well all know:(

For now, I am VERY content with my "modded" Linn Lp12.

Hi Davey,

I agree 100% it's best to audition in your own system, otherwise you'll never really know how it's contributing to the whole. But, as you say, that's getting harder and harder to be able to do.

I'd be happy to share my experiences here with you.

I do like the unique structure and design of the AMG tone arm and how it and the table complement each other as a complete system.

The upgraded LP12 is still very competitive and that is why I won't make any decisions until after the show. When you have such a nice table as you do, it's hard to leave it and spend the money that they want for these new ones.

If I wasn't having trouble with my controller right now I'd be content with my table and not even be dealing with these temptations.

I use a much modified Denon DL103 in ebony wood body with an additional mass weight bringing total to 16 grams in my LP12.

This is installed in an Audio Origami PU7 of higher effective mass than usual. J7 knows I love the 103 so he tailored the PU7 for it.

LP12 has our Sole VII sub-chassis our own SS top plate with the motor mounted at 07:30 and run by a Norton Airpower power supply.. I just love what it does for such a low cost.

You need to try our sub-chassis Davey as I'd welcome your opinion. Let me know if you want to.

Regards

John R.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I use a much modified Denon DL103 in ebony wood body with an additional mass weight bringing total to 16 grams in my LP12.

This is installed in an Audio Origami PU7 of higher effective mass than usual. J7 knows I love the 103 so he tailored the PU7 for it.

LP12 has our Sole VII sub-chassis our own SS top plate with the motor mounted at 07:30 and run by a Norton Airpower power supply.. I just love what it does for such a low cost.

You need to try our sub-chassis Davey as I'd welcome your opinion. Let me know if you want to.

Regards

John R.

Hi John, I would love to try your sub-chassis, but changing out sub-chassis is a fairly major endeavor ( as you well know) and my set-up guy has probably had enough of me for the time being, LOL.
I'm pretty happy with the Kore at the moment.
Really appreciate the offer.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
while this is not what was originally asked, I think an uni-pivot arm makes a far better sonic impact the the cartridge selection, IMO of course.

Hi John, I would love to try your sub-chassis, but changing out sub-chassis is a fairly major endeavor ( as you well know) and my set-up guy has probably had enough of me for the time being, LOL.
I'm pretty happy with the Kore at the moment.
Really appreciate the offer.

One day perhaps Davey. Working on an LP12 is not difficult nor is "setting it up". Frustrating yes but not difficult.

There are do's & don'ts as with most bits of kit, but Linn dealers make a big play on this - it's all foo m8 it really is - to get punters money.

Regards.

John R.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
One day perhaps Davey. Working on an LP12 is not difficult nor is "setting it up". Frustrating yes but not difficult.

There are do's & don'ts as with most bits of kit, but Linn dealers make a big play on this - it's all foo m8 it really is - to get punters money.

Regards.

John R.

John, I'm sure you are right, BUT like everything, IF you don't know how to do it it's a LOT harder than IF you do. Since I'm basically a klutz when it comes to TT set-up, i have found it best to leave it to those that do.

BTW, Fernando I think you have a point ( or a uni-pivot...pun:rolleyes:). OTOH, no bearing and no point is better IMO. Which is why I still use and enjoy the innovative WTA Black arm that you heard in my system.

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Just came across this thread, I appreciate it started a while back, but it is still very relevant - such is the longevity of the LP12 :)
An LP12 owner since the early 80's, mine was an upgrade to my very first TT (Thorens TD160BC MKII with Mission 774 arm). Initially I had a Rega RB300 on the 12 and later upgraded to an Ittok LVII, which remains on board to ths day. Various "official" deck upgrades carried out along the way too, but not the Keel. Most recent mod was the installation of a Stamford Audio Hercules speed controller (not considered an upgrade, fitted due to Valhalla board failure). I use an Ortofon Verto SUT, if required, with valve pre and power amps.
Cartridges used: Grado F1+, Ultimo 10X, Stilton Audio AT F5 OCC, Denon DL304, Linn Klyde, Koetsu Black, Ortofon 2M Blue, AT OC9 MLII.
My "two penneth": most have been very enjoyable with some notable exceptions: surprisingly good results with the Grado (quite incredible for MM), the Denon DL304 was and remains a great favourite (highly recommended - if you can find one these days), the Koetsu is, for me, "top of the pile", simply magic! The AT OC9 is impressive, very precise, perhaps a tad too "punchy", a little "cold" and maybe bass light for me in my set up.
Ultimately, the Ortofon 2M Blue was rather disappointing. A modest cartridge perhaps, but better was expected.

I haven't really been in the market for a cartridge for a while, but thinking nothing lasts forever and at some point my much loved Black will have to be put out to grass. I would love to replace it with another, but prices these days are getting, well, rather steep :(
Anyone have anything to say about experiences with moderately priced "newcomers"? (Harma, for one, seem to be gaining quite a bit of praise), or indeed any other cartridges not already mentioned?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Very old thread. Cartridges have advanced quite a bit.

After going with Linn cartridges, I moved on to Lyra. I have been impressed with all the ones I’ve owned. In order of both purchase and my preference, from oldest to most recent, they are Delos, Kleos, Etna, and now Etna Lambda. They’re all great at their price point. If you can swing it, the Etna Lamba is my all time favorite. My ordering represents a six year love affair.

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Although fiddling around with equipment is part of the hobby, I've always liked the 'systems' approach of the LP12 family.This applies to the tonearms and cartridges also. It takes only a few minutes to properly set up the higher-end Linn MCs up in the higher end Linn tonearms.Here is a review of one of their cartridges from a German magazine speaking to some of these points exhaustively.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Although fiddling around with equipment is part of the hobby, I've always liked the 'systems' approach of the LP12 family.This applies to the tonearms and cartridges also. It takes only a few minutes to properly set up the higher-end Linn MCs up in the higher end Linn tonearms.Here is a review of one of their cartridges from a German magazine speaking to some of these points exhaustively.
It’s a common selling point.
Of course you know that Linn cartridges are made by others and badged as Linn.

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Hana ML or AT ART9 XI/XA
Thanks for your comment.
Not sure how the ART9 sounds compared to an OC9, but coming from the same stable I suspect it may not be too different. Though a good cartridge, I wouldn't put the OC9 at the top of my list, hence feel unsure about the ART9 at this stage.
Have you heard / had an OC9, how does it compare to the ART9?
I take it you have owned both the ART9 and Hana ML, how would you describe their traits? (my post should have read Hana, by the way, not sure where Harma came from!).

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Very old thread. Cartridges have advanced quite a bit.

After going with Linn cartridges, I moved on to Lyra. I have been impressed with all the ones I’ve owned. In order of both purchase and my preference, from oldest to most recent, they are Delos, Kleos, Etna, and now Etna Lambda. They’re all great at their price point. If you can swing it, the Etna Lamba is my all time favorite. My ordering represents a six year love affair.
Yes, just like me, unfortunately. :)
I seem to recall when the Lyra carts first hit the market. Not sure what year it was, but they caused quite a stir back then. I think one of the first went by the name of Lydian. Good to see the company is still around and going strong.
Quite a price range on these carts. As much as I like the thought, an Etna or Etna Lambda is out of the question, but it could well be interesting to seek out a Delos and possibly a Kleos to have a listen to. Thanks for your comment.

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Fortunately I can read German :) I would need to take a look at the Krystal it seems. Thanks for the reply.
Still happy with my LP12 / Ittok too, after all these years. I am sure it can be bettered by both newer Linn products and others, but for me it's about enjoying and getting a kick out of listening to music. My set up still allows me to do this very well, a very satisfying experience even 40 years on. I just need to make sure whatever cartridge I choose, it is able to generate at least the same overall experience and level of enjoyment.

Reactions: Bso

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Thanks for your comment.
Not sure how the ART9 sounds compared to an OC9, but coming from the same stable I suspect it may not be too different. Though a good cartridge, I wouldn't put the OC9 at the top of my list, hence feel unsure about the ART9 at this stage.
Have you heard / had an OC9, how does it compare to the ART9?
I take it you have owned both the ART9 and Hana ML, how would you describe their traits? (my post should have read Hana, by the way, not sure where Harma came from!).
I used 3 AT OC 9 cartridges in the past also Hana line. I never had ART 9 but it’s nothing like OC 9. If you wanna safe bet then go with Hana ML.

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
I used 3 AT OC 9 cartridges in the past also Hana line. I never had ART 9 but it’s nothing like OC 9. If you wanna safe bet then go with Hana ML.
"Nothing like an OC9", makes the ART9 still sound interesting - it could be different in a very good way for me. I'll keep it in mind, not sure if I will come across one though as they appear to be discontinued? (like my OC9 MLII). Will definitely include Hana in my "possibles" list. Thanks!

Reactions: mtemur

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
In linn ittok tonearm, the old ortofon vero plays at the frequency ends bass and treble very cleanly with the strong fundamental mids of the linn lp 12 for me a perfect match. really fun use a good transformer my tip. csm_Ortofon_Vero_Bor_Nadeltraeger__1__fe594756de.jpg

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
In linn ittok tonearm, the old ortofon vero plays at the frequency ends bass and treble very cleanly with the strong fundamental mids of the linn lp 12 for me a perfect match. really fun use a good transformer my tip.
Sounds like another "oldy but goody". After a quick search, unfortunately no longer in production. Your description makes it potentially an appealing option to consider should a good used one cross my path. I attribute "fun" with the Koestu Black too :) Thank you!

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I found the art models art 1 and 9 a bit too dry and unemotional sound, the best audio technica for me AT -ml 180cc MM. If find it in good condition buy it.modern things not every time better.;)
g92o6gmwng49e48amrd4.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing