Schröder LT

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm curious about this arm from a design and engineering standpoint- I gather it was introduced at this year's RMAF. I saw some pictures of it, and also looked at a site that had some older patent drawings of similar designs. I get the idea that the pivot point articulates as the arm moves inward, but I'm not sure i understand how the correct geometry at the stylus end is maintained-
anybody check this thing out?
I'm not buying, just kind of intrigued by the engineering/design aspect of it and curious...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I saw it and heard it. No offset on the headshell and it supposedly tracks a straight line across the LP. With what little time I had to hear it, I thought it sounded good.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I saw it and heard it. No offset on the headshell and it supposedly tracks a straight line across the LP. With what little time I had to hear it, I thought it sounded good.
Thnx, MEP. Did you understand how the articulating or moving pivot point (for lack of a better word) maintains geometry at the stylus end of the tonearm? In other words, it looks like the pivot moves as the arm moves, but at first glance that would seem to change effective arm length and a whole host of things. Maybe i'm tripping here, but it didn't look like the pivot point stayed in the same plane, like a 'normal' linear tracking arm does.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Thnx, MEP. Did you understand how the articulating or moving pivot point (for lack of a better word) maintains geometry at the stylus end of the tonearm? In other words, it looks like the pivot moves as the arm moves, but at first glance that would seem to change effective arm length and a whole host of things. Maybe i'm tripping here, but it didn't look like the pivot point stayed in the same plane, like a 'normal' linear tracking arm does.

It has two horizontal pivots in the base. There is some kind of a guide rail with a magnet/magnets assisting movement. This is all hidden under the arm base. I don't pretend to know exactly how it works as I have not seen the inner workings. It does appear to work quite well though. There is nothing like it that I am aware of. The closest is the Thales arms but they pivot at the headshell instead of the base.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It has two horizontal pivots in the base. There is some kind of a guide rail with a magnet/magnets assisting movement. This is all hidden under the arm base. I don't pretend to know exactly how it works as I have not seen the inner workings. It does appear to work quite well though. There is nothing like it that I am aware of. The closest is the Thales arms but they pivot at the headshell instead of the base.
Thanks Sean.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Most probably this arm has some type of servo system that moves the arm pivot - the tricky part is the rate of correction and how it measures/detects the minimal side forces due to groove pressure. May be I can persuade Herr Schröder to manufacture an arm wand for my Forsell!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I am sure there is no servo or electronic correction. Just very low friction bearings from what I understand.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Most probably this arm has some type of servo system that moves the arm pivot - the tricky part is the rate of correction and how it measures/detects the minimal side forces due to groove pressure. May be I can persuade Herr Schröder to manufacture an arm wand for my Forsell!

Nope no servo, just the aforementioned magnet.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Man, Micro, you've got all the cool historical stuff. A Forsell, eh? You still use it?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Here's a link to a description apparently written by Schroder. The pics i've seen show an articulating pivot point, but little else.

http://audiofest.net/2012/downloads/Special/SchroderR.pdf

Thanks. But other than the magic word patented nothing new is told:

the new Schröder utilizes a patent pending mechanism that moves the foot point (base) of the tonearm as it traces the grooves such that perfect tangency is maintained at all times. No servo, no air pumps and hoses, no excessive effective mass in the horizontal plane.

We have to wait until someone tells us about the magnetic mechanism!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I can tell you that at first glance this arm is very deceiving because it looks like every other pivoted arm with the exception of the wooden tonearm.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The demo at 2011 RMAF was impressive but hard to attribute anything to one component in an unfamiliar system. However, that system sounded very good, so one can presume the arm is high quality. I did not notice any of the usual Schroeder house sound.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Just saw a comment on AnalogPlanet that it will be $8900, not the $6000 that Michael thought.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just saw a comment on AnalogPlanet that it will be $8900, not the $6000 that Michael thought.

I'm not sure the price has been settled yet but Steve Dobbin told me $8900.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm not sure the price has been settled yet but Steve Dobbin told me $8900.

But Myles, didn't he say $8900 for the first year and then it was taking a big jump to around $13K? Also, this arm will be built by Dobbins and not by Schroder.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
But Myles, didn't he say $8900 for the first year and then it was taking a big jump to around $13K? Also, this arm will be built by Dobbins and not by Schroder.

That's what I was saying. I don't remember the second figure but the price wasn't set in stone IIRC.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That's what I was saying. I don't remember the second figure but the price wasn't set in stone IIRC.

He did caveat the out-year price, but I'm thinking it was in the $13K range.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Anyone have this arm yet? Curious what folks are thinking about it? I have a friend getting one soon...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing