Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Ypsilon VPS - 100 phono stage - how good?

No the problem is the Phonostage. We are talking about a lot of money and a phonostage has to work with all cartridges. For my opinion a transformer is the wrong way. A transformer work onyl with a few cartridges right.

What happend if you buy a new one which do not match? You buy only cartridges which match. Really? And what about the 95% which do not match?

Bye the way the VDH Colibri Platin is one of the best cartridges avaiable. (>5000 Euro)

If you think transformer coupling is the wrong way, we cannot discuss anything.

For me the wrong way ist to use a wire with bad conductivity (Platin). and that has
    nothing to do with the Price.

Have heard the Ypsilon a few times, it surely renders a holographic soundstage.

For me the wrong way is to use a wire with bad conductivity (Platin)
    Like everything in life nothing is quite that simple

Although if you look at platinum on a conductivity table it doesn't compare with silver or copper

in very thin layers and under the influence of electric field its resistivity can drop dramatically, this is referred to as the anomalous hall effect

its other desirable properties are

least reactive metal
    more ductile than gold
    doesn't oxidise at room temperature

although it resistivity may be an issue in long lengths in coils of mc cart it is not problematic
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]
    [I]Monaco tt 1.5 triplanar/Xv1
    Bakoon two box phono; step up Cinemag, Altec, FR, RCA
    Halcro DM 8
    Bespoke server Roon and HQplayer
    Atomic clock to USB aes interface
    Meitner DA2v2
    Lamm m1.2 or Goldmund 29M
    CLX modified with "batwing"
    DEQX HP5 Marchand active crossover 7 Subwoofers
    Sony PSX9 XL55 Bakoon phono
    Pioneer PLL1 DV XV1s Esoteric E03/CO2 as output
    Stealth cabling

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awsmone View Post
    Like everything in life nothing is quite that simple

Although if you look at platinum on a conductivity table it doesn't compare with silver or copper

in very thin layers and under the influence of electric field its resistivity can drop dramatically, this is referred to as the anomalous hall effect

its other desirable properties are

least reactive metal
    more ductile than gold
    doesn't oxidise at room temperature

although it resistivity may be an issue in long lengths in coils of mc cart it is not problematic
    I am happy to meet someone with an open mind about the non trivial technical aspects of wires.

Unfortunately people stick with the most simple property (resistivity of the pure metal, that can be found in any periodic table), and forget another very basic property you refer - oxidization. Almost all metal surfaces oxidize when in contact with air or other pollutants. Military (and knowledgeable manufactures and a few audiophiles) know since long that this the real reason why silver or silver plated wires are used for many applications - signals propagate at the surface of the wires and silver oxide has a resistivity similar to the pure metal, although copper oxides have high resistivity and even worst, can behave as a semiconductor.

IMHO it is why my twenty year old Monster speaker cables, that show a greenish aspect under the transparent PVC insulator, now sound horrible and the similar age silver plated Van den Hul 502 sound as good as new.

BTW, some chemistry is also needed to understand cable insulators, physics is not enough.
    Under construction around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT + Lamm M1.2 ref, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage footers ...

Yes surface oxidisation is extremely important

With AC, skin effect is important

Oxidisation of the surface will have an impact on high frequency resistivity

Silver Gold and Platinum obviously dont

Also Gallium alloys have perfect smoothness as they are a liquid, which may account for their exceptional sound qualities

Platinum is particularily fascinating for MC as it is both a conductor and ferromagnetic, with the ability to tune it physically

It is more ductile even than gold, which means a better surface consistent coil can be made, which as i have mentioned is critical to audio

So I think if it was not for the expense we would see more platinum used, as it is several orders of magnitude more expensive than silver

However it is often found in pure form naturally, though its a very rare metal, which makes processing pure platin cheaper
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]
    [I]Monaco tt 1.5 triplanar/Xv1
    Bakoon two box phono; step up Cinemag, Altec, FR, RCA
    Halcro DM 8
    Bespoke server Roon and HQplayer
    Atomic clock to USB aes interface
    Meitner DA2v2
    Lamm m1.2 or Goldmund 29M
    CLX modified with "batwing"
    DEQX HP5 Marchand active crossover 7 Subwoofers
    Sony PSX9 XL55 Bakoon phono
    Pioneer PLL1 DV XV1s Esoteric E03/CO2 as output
    Stealth cabling

Regrettably I'm Selling mine if any interested parties?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456