MM7's are here

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Mike - Congratulations, your setup looks (and surely sounds) incredible!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Mike, I really like your set-up. It's going to sound unbelievable once you get the woofer towers set up.

Make sure you wear your truss! That stuff is heavy.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I was one of the fortunate local friends to stop by today. A few initial impressions with the caveats that 1) no bass towers 2) we didn't play any of our usual reference cuts...

The MM7's take everything good from the MM3's and take it up a notch. The bass without the bass towers is still impressive. (Good enough to wonder if they could be sold separately?) My main takeaway is that the MM7s are much more relaxed and there is more textural information. I heard even more front to back depth. It's not night and day but definitely a step up.

Can't wait to hear 'em with the bass towers in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I also had a chance to listen to the MM7's today. The sound was very refined and the soundstage was well defined. We were hearing details that we had not heard before. The bass is ample without the bass towers. It will be very interesting to hear the system again with the bass towers and the DartZeel monos as well as some more break in.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Awesome! I plan on getting the 18NS preamp once some other gear sells!

the 18NS takes the 108 up a notch or two as well as improving the preamp and phono stage too. so it's a significant step up overall.

i spent 3-4 months earlier this year selling stuff to allow me to do these moves, i can relate.;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Stunning...truly stunning. Thanks for taking the time to share! And we look forward to reading all about how they SOUND!!! Enjoy and Congrats!!!

thanks Lloyd......i'm going slow on the 'how they sound?' part. but doing great on the 'enjoy' part. just trying to enjoy the music and not think too much about what it's doing or not doing. the music just flows.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I really like your set-up. It's going to sound unbelievable once you get the woofer towers set up.

Make sure you wear your truss! That stuff is heavy.

thanks. i am being careful to not hurt myself working with these big heavy pieces.

when 4 of us lifted the top 175 pound woofer section on top of the main towers Friday night that was a bit crazy looking back. we had to dead lift this huge thing about to upper chest level....very awkward. it was a bit tense as it sort of rolled off to one side. we caught it and were able to steady it and get it in place without any issues. but i shudder to think of what might have happened. that would have left a mark on something.

with the bass towers we will assemble it on the floor and tilt it up as it's even taller than the main towers. i'll have 4 people to make sure the whole length is supported as it is being tilted. the latches holding the sections together are very solid. but we need to be cautious and not place too much stress on the latches.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I was one of the fortunate local friends to stop buy today. A few initial impressions with the caveats that 1) no bass towers 2) we didn't play any of our usual reference cuts...

The MM7's take everything good from the MM3's and take it up a notch. The bass without the bass towers is still impressive. (Good enough to wonder if they could be sold separately?) My main takeaway is that the MM7s are much more relaxed and there is more textural information. I heard even more front to back depth. It's not night and day but definitely a step up.

Can't wait to hear 'em with the bass towers in a couple weeks.

thanks Mark, i appreciate your feedback......and as always thanks for bringing great music. that mono original pressing of KOB was truely special.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I also had a chance to listen to the MM7's today. The sound was very refined and the soundstage was well defined. We were hearing details that we had not heard before. The bass is ample without the bass towers. It will be very interesting to hear the system again with the bass towers and the DartZeel monos as well as some more break in.

thanks Sean, for the feedback. it was a fun session.

loved the Jack Johnson Lp, i'll have to pick that one up.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ditto! I can only imagine the sound in there!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Mike, allow me to add a (somewhat belated) congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing your wonderful system again, the next time I can find an excuse to visit Seattle!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Mike , i just noticed the thread , finally half of the system arrived , the monster bass towers are still out there ,congratulations thanks for sharing this audio/picture journey.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Congrats Mike. I'm looking foward to all the chapters of the story. You still have the bass tower chapter and the new amp chapter and the everything is finally broken in chapter. Should be lots of fun and excitement.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hey guys, i'm in las vegas for a 2 day business meeting back tomorrow night late.

Thanks for all the kind words, but i'm not very good with my i-phone so will be slow to respond.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Wow, Mike. Those speakers look fantastic. I bet they sound just as good. Is that Accuton ceramic drivers in the MM7s? I can't wait to see and read your impressions when the whole speakers are in place as well as the darTZeel NHB-458s. I bet it will exceed any expectations in that room. May I ask what kind of turntable you are using? It looks interesting.

BTW, I hope I could pick your brain a little bit. I can see from the Durand Tonearm webpage that you have tested the Telos. I am thinking about buying the new Bluelectric Altair cartridge and consider options for tonearm. I am considering the Durand Telos, the Schroeder Reference SQ or the Da Vinci Audio Labs Master Reference VIRTU. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice? At the moment I am leaning towards the Da Vinci Audio Labs.

All the best,
Roysen

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Congrats Mike , speakers look fantastic, beautiful finish, when are you getting the mono's ? I'm sure you will have your work cut out for you when you get the bass towers ... :)

Regards ,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing