Evolution Acoustics MM3 speakers, what other gear have you heard with these

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Curious, owners and/or individuals who own or have heard these specific speaker model what other amp combo have you heard besides using DartZeel and what were differences you heard.

It appears most owners with MM2 or MM3's are using the Dart stereo amp and usually pairing it up with their pre.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce,

you are ready for XS-150's ! ;)

That's right... play in the yard with the Big Dogs or stay on the porch with the Puppies!! :rolleyes:

As Corey Greenberg would say... the Dartzeels just don't vibrate my Monkey Bone!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
By the way, apparently they are working on an XS series pre-amp that will be out perhaps at CES 2014 and will be approx double the cost of the XP-30.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Heard them with Goldmund Telos 350 amps, as well as the darTZeel 108 amp. No comparison, the darTZeel was so much better, more involving, detailed. It's like playing tape, with the Goldmund adding 2 or 3 generations to the master tape (that being the darTZeel).

alexandre

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Some tube amps that quickly come to mind are Einstein, Joule Electra, Wavac, MasterSound the list is endless.

The section that needs to be amplified how efficient really are they, do they need current or power. I read in Mike's thread a while back he tried some very low powered tube mono's but did not feel they cut it. Went back to his stereo DartZeel, also had the new mono blocks and seemed to really like.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I'm using Pass XA-160.5 amps. I don't care for the Dartzeels

I have always liked Pass gear, what do you find the differences to be Bruce.

Aren't the middle sections of these speaker suppose to be fairly efficient? Why so much of an amp driving them?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have always liked Pass gear, what do you find the differences to be Bruce.

Aren't the middle sections of these speaker suppose to be fairly efficient? Why so much of an amp driving them?

Well the amps were here before the speakers and they were connected to a pair of Wilson WP7. That's barely enough juice for them. I could still get the needle to move.

I feel the Pass are more natural sounding. The Dartzeel in my opinion has a more clinical, sterile, detailed sound. The voilins and trumpet have an unnatural "steely" edge in the attack transient.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Funny thing, I thought the opposite, when I heard a Pass Labs X100 amp. The midrange was distinctly jacked up, and sounded too cozy, too much of a good thing really. Of course, I think the darTZeels are very natural and precise, not clinical or sterile at all...

alexandre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thankfully, I neither have the funds not the stamina to rotate expensive amps through my system, so I just use the Jungson JA-200 class A monoblocks that I owned before I got the speaker. According to the erswhile US dealer (who threw in the towel going crazy dealing with the Chinese), these are very comparable to the Pass XA series (which he also sold), so if I go by Bruce's professional judgement I was lucky to own amps nicely matched to the speakers. I don't think 200wpc is overkill for the speakers.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Oh yeah there is.... I blew a driver at RMAF. Amps were 1k w/p/c !!

I read the spec sheets on those amps in your room and I missed that they put out 1K into 8 or 4 ohm. I thought you had another issue with the Studer that sent a signal to the amps that caused the problem of the blown driver. It's hard to imagine that with properly functiong sources and clean power that you would blow a driver in a hotel room. Most of the time when you blow drivers it's because you don't have enough clean power and you clip the amps and fry tweeters. Frying a bass/midrange driver is much harder to do.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing