Best travel watch

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not sure this is a "fine watch" question but I am always looking for a good travel watch.

What is a travel watch? One that lets you keep two timezones at the same time and be extremely quick to change the timezone for the second region. I also like to have mechanical movement for the primary zone and digital for the second. That way when I am home I can have both types of indicators. And digital for the second zone means fast changes.

I have a casio I bought in Japan and does the job but has horrible user interface. With the manual in Japanese and the ones imported to US somewhat different, it is a nightmare to get the digital display to show the right things. I can't for example currently figure out how to get it to show the date in the digital display rather than time.

So what have you seen that works well for you? Anyone else in the same boat?

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
I think it must depend on what circles you run in. I'm a "Lonely Planet" kind of traveler and favor the Casio Pathfinder models which have a compass and altimeter as well as multiple and easy-setting time zones. That way, when I'm out at dusk on the far side of Marrakesh, I have a better than random chance of blundering my way back to the B&B.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Not sure this is a "fine watch" question but I am always looking for a good travel watch.

What is a travel watch? One that lets you keep two timezones at the same time and be extremely quick to change the timezone for the second region. I also like to have mechanical movement for the primary zone and digital for the second. That way when I am home I can have both types of indicators. And digital for the second zone means fast changes.
My Breitling Aerospace is pretty good for that. It has two time zones in digital display with one also on the mechanical dialface. I generally keep both digital displays on my usual local EST and, when I travel, I reset the mechanical/other digital to current local time.
http://www.breitling.com/en/index.php#/models/professional/aerospace/

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That Breitling sure looks nice and fits the bill except one thing: price! Does it really cost $3,000? My current watch cost me $100 :p.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I bought a GMT for that purpose but I still found it a hassle so I hardly use it for that. I figured out a much easier way to keep two timezones. I set my watch to the local time of wherever I am and keep my phone's time to Manila time :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have tried the phone thing but sometimes I go places where my phone doesn't work so I don't charge it or on the airplane where you can't always power on the phone to see the time.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have stopped wearing watches ever since I started using a cel phone. The only time I wear a watch is when I travel. I keep my cel phone on my home time and adjust the time on the watch I wear. So I always strap on any watch with just an hour hand and a minute hand. I don't care for any other additional information.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I use my trusty Ikepod Megapod that sports a second dial for a 24 hr complication/function, it sets pretty quick as well. The analog/digital format is a very useful one as well, I understand there are many options out there.

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For travelling, I use the Oris Flight Timer Limited Edition. It's a Pilot World Timer that can have 3 timezones.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is certainly a fitting post for this forum :). But how the heck do you read the time around the big yellow sticker and magnet? Seems like it is not good at either job it attempts to do.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I just recall a brand, Ulysse Nardin, that makes a travel watch with two time zones.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My Breitling Aerospace is pretty good for that. It has two time zones in digital display with one also on the mechanical dialface. I generally keep both digital displays on my usual local EST and, when I travel, I reset the mechanical/other digital to current local time.
http://www.breitling.com/en/index.php#/models/professional/aerospace/

+1. Have had mine since 1991 and it works perfectly. The other nice little bit is that when you switch the hours forward or backward...if you turn slowly the hour hand goes minute by minute and sets the digital to match but keeps the seconds (which you can also adjust)...but if you turn faster, the hour hand moves forward or backward all the way by exactly one hour on its own so you dont lose the exact minute or second.

10Atmospheres which is fine for basic swimming or a bit of snorkeling. Alarm plus 24 hour countdown to alarm, so [sort of] two alarms. Stop watch, day and date with year. can set for 2-3 languages too.

Maxim23

Oct 30, 2013

I have a casio I bought in Japan and does the job but has horrible user interface. With the manual in Japanese and the ones imported to US somewhat different, it is a nightmare to get the digital display to show the right things. I can't for example currently figure out how to get it to show the date in the digital display rather than time.

So what have you seen that works well for you? Anyone else in the same boat?

I would recommend you casio G shock, it is good for all kinds of travelling http://www.authenticwatchstore.com/casio-g-shock-awg100bc-1a-watch-solar-atomic-mens-black-dial.html
Also Lacoste is nice http://www.certifiedwatchstore.com/lacoste-2010550-watch-sport-navigator-mens-white-dial.html

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
My Travel watch for many, many years...... very reliable

d8552virt4qynt0sa.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great watch! I am thinking of getting my wife a similar one. Date Just II 41mm in Blue.
Personally for travel I have used my Breitling Aerospace since 1991. 2 time zones, alarm and super-easy to change time too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing