My system (me being Lee) in SW London. UK.

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
TW Acustic Raven AC Record Player (with latest MA/AC PSU)
Thales Simplicity Tonearm (with 3 headshells)
TW Raven 10.5 Tonearm
Ortofon A90
Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue
Ikeda 9TT
Ikeda 9TS

Gryphon Scorpio CD Player
Resonessence Invicta Mirus DAC

Gryphon Diablo Integrated Amplifier (used as a power amplifier)
Tron Seven GT Phono Amplifier
Tron Seven GT Pre Amplifier

Peak Consult Princess Loudspeakers (with Elac 4PI Plus.2 & 2 x Wilson Benesch Torus)
On Finite Elemente Cerapucs and with Acustica Applicata DAAD 2 Bass Traps
Harbeth P3ESR Loudspeakers & Custom Design FS104 Stands

Stax SRM-727 MK II Energiser
Stax SR-007 MK2.5 Electrostatic Earspeakers & Stax SR-009 Electrostatic Earspeakers

Grand Prix Audio Monaco Four Shelf Modular Equipment Support, Two Shelf support & Monaco Amplifier Stand & x2 Formula Carbon Fibre Shelf
Isoclean BS-13A4 II Power Bar Distributor
Kuzma Strobi & Millenium Carbon Platter Mat & Record Clamp
Okki Nokki RCM

Cardas Golden Reference & Isoclean Focus Power Cables
4 x Harmonic Technology Cyberlight P2A & Wave Interconnects
JPS Labs Superconductor V Speaker Cable

Attachments

• thales.jpg
    thales.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 4,783
Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Stunning! Love the look of that Thales Simplicity tonearm. Very cool!:D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Simplicity - nice system! Do you have your speakers on top of Finite Elemente Cerapucs? What was the difference in sound when you did this...compared to speakers directly on the floor? Also, interested in the Lindemann...what did you compare it to before you acquired it?

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Hi I do have something in common with U ie a Raven AC 3 , Tron reference ultimate (all silver wiring & transformer ) and Ortofon A90 & few other tonearms and catridges. My favourite so far is dynavector XV-1S

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Very nice turntable /system lee , would like to see some more pics , how do the peak consults compare to other brands ??

greetz h-j

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments and welcome.

In reply to the the direct questions - re speakers, yes they sit on Cerapucs and yes it makes quite a difference to spikes. They definitely sharpen up a bit and it just allows them to get on with the job in hand uncorrupted. I have found that the correct isolation of hi-fi is quite important - when I changed to GP Audio racks, the changes were not subtle.

Re the Lindemann. CD is my second tier source, well lets face it, with the vinyl set up I have it was always going to be! The Lindemann replaced a Gryphon Mikado - a very good player, but to my ears the Lindemann was a more refined player with more nuances, subtlety and of course, SACD ability as well. I can also run my PC and tuner into 2 of the digital inputs on the Lindemann, making it a very flexible one box solution.

I did listen to a few other players before I upgraded, my route was a Naim CDS3 then the Mikado and then the Lindemann - I tried a DCS which i found not to my taste - loads of detail but a bit dentist drill - and various others, but none got near the Lindemann, and still dont. The only digital sound I have heard better is the Tron Seven DAC.

Re the turntable - great that you (audioblazer) has a similar set up to me! I have had my Raven AC since the start, I was one of the first UK owners and it replaced a Roksan TMS2 and various SME TT's from a 10 to a 30. I have had loads of arms on it - usually running multiple arms. I found the XV1s worked really well with a Graham Phantom and I also had a phase of stone bodied Koetsu's, Miyabi's etc that worked very well on the Ikeda. I like the XV1s - but if I had to choose one arm and one cart - I would have what I now use, the Thales and the A90.

One day maybe I will acquire and XV1T as I have a second headshell for my Thales, we shall see !

Re the Peak Consults. They came into my system, replacing various floorstanders and standmounts. I have generally always ran both and was never able to find one speaker or system to cover both bases. I like the speed and sound of small monitors but of course, I like a fuller range sound as well. I had B&W 804's for years, the Sonus Faber Amati (a brief relationship with Avantgarde Uno's) and inbetween that various AE1, LS35a type monitors.

The Peak Consult Princess came in at a handy time anyway as i moved and had less space. They are very quick and detailed but go reasonably deep - they have been the perfect speaker for me and I have lived happily with them for 6 years now. The build quality is amazing and everyone who comes to hear them is amazed at what they do. They are just very high quality little speakers that need a damn good source.

Amp wise I tried many things to get the best out of them, from Krell, Audio Research, Ayre, Nagra VPA's, Naim 500 - but hit the sweet spot with the Luxman L590. Only 30w but gets more out of them, sounds a great combo with real synergy. Plus it has VU meters! I'm happy with it.

That's it for now - hope this contribution was of interest.

Lee

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks everyone for the nice comments and welcome.

In reply to the the direct questions - re speakers, yes they sit on Cerapucs and yes it makes quite a difference to spikes. They definitely sharpen up a bit and it just allows them to get on with the job in hand uncorrupted. I have found that the correct isolation of hi-fi is quite important - when I changed to GP Audio racks, the changes were not subtle.

Re the Lindemann. CD is my second tier source, well lets face it, with the vinyl set up I have it was always going to be! The Lindemann replaced a Gryphon Mikado - a very good player, but to my ears the Lindemann was a more refined player with more nuances, subtlety and of course, SACD ability as well. I can also run my PC and tuner into 2 of the digital inputs on the Lindemann, making it a very flexible one box solution.

I did listen to a few other players before I upgraded, my route was a Naim CDS3 then the Mikado and then the Lindemann - I tried a DCS which i found not to my taste - loads of detail but a bit dentist drill - and various others, but none got near the Lindemann, and still dont. The only digital sound I have heard better is the Tron Seven DAC.

Re the turntable - great that you (audioblazer) has a similar set up to me! I have had my Raven AC since the start, I was one of the first UK owners and it replaced a Roksan TMS2 and various SME TT's from a 10 to a 30. I have had loads of arms on it - usually running multiple arms. I found the XV1s worked really well with a Graham Phantom and I also had a phase of stone bodied Koetsu's, Miyabi's etc that worked very well on the Ikeda. I like the XV1s - but if I had to choose one arm and one cart - I would have what I now use, the Thales and the A90.

One day maybe I will acquire and XV1T as I have a second headshell for my Thales, we shall see !

Re the Peak Consults. They came into my system, replacing various floorstanders and standmounts. I have generally always ran both and was never able to find one speaker or system to cover both bases. I like the speed and sound of small monitors but of course, I like a fuller range sound as well. I had B&W 804's for years, the Sonus Faber Amati (a brief relationship with Avantgarde Uno's) and inbetween that various AE1, LS35a type monitors.

The Peak Consult Princess came in at a handy time anyway as i moved and had less space. They are very quick and detailed but go reasonably deep - they have been the perfect speaker for me and I have lived happily with them for 6 years now. The build quality is amazing and everyone who comes to hear them is amazed at what they do. They are just very high quality little speakers that need a damn good source.

Amp wise I tried many things to get the best out of them, from Krell, Audio Research, Ayre, Nagra VPA's, Naim 500 - but hit the sweet spot with the Luxman L590. Only 30w but gets more out of them, sounds a great combo with real synergy. Plus it has VU meters! I'm happy with it.

That's it for now - hope this contribution was of interest.

Lee

Thanks! Great read.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So...no love for valves at all? :)

Actually, Flez007, I think his Tron Seven GT Phono Amplifier has 3 valves in the design. So all good! ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lee,

Any comments on Isoclean BS-13A4 II Power Bar Distributor are appreciated! What did you compare this to? Have you heard Transparent Audio, PS Audio, Nordost power conditioners? Thanks!

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
I love valve / tube amps - just not all of them!
In wealthier pre 2007/8 recession I had plenty of valve kit including a Nagra PLP/VPA amp set up.

My new phono amp is valve - the Tron Seven GT, which replaces a standard Tron 7 (and Nagra BPS & Einstein) so there's no bias (!) either way - I just want the best sound for the money I have available at the time.

Rgds - Lee

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations on a beautiful system which must sound wonderful. I saw that you once owned an SME 10 and then an SME 30. I started with a Model 10 and now have a 30/12. I'm curious about what you did not like with your 30. Could you please describe how your Raven sounds different from your old Model 30? Thanks.

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
Few changes I made to my system during 2012.

Gryphon Diablo amplifier - replaced Luxman L590.

Thales Simplicity Tonearm - replaced Graham Phantom.

Ortofon A90 replaced Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua

Tron Seven GT Phono Amp - replaced standard Seven.

Latest PSU for my TW Acustic Raven AC record player.

USB-DCC 24/192 S/PDIF converter for my Lindemann 820 SACD player.

JPS Labs Superconductor V speaker cable replaced Transparent.

Cyrus DAB 8.0 replaced Harmon Kardon tuner.

Grand Prix Audio Monaco amp stand with carbon fibre platform added for Diablo.

Will take some pictures over the Xmas break.

:)

Last edited:

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
I used some PS Audio products years back, but whilst they gave some improvements, they were also unreliable and in the end the gains matched the losses anyway - so I gave up. I had some QX4's (I think) as well about 2 years ago - but in all honesty I could not hear them doing a great deal.
The Isoclean stuff doesnt sap the music of anything. It is very anonymous and just keeps things as clean as possible yet doesn't take anything away. When I have nothing better to do or to spend money on I would really like to explore much higher up in their range of power products.

Lee,

Any comments on Isoclean BS-13A4 II Power Bar Distributor are appreciated! What did you compare this to? Have you heard Transparent Audio, PS Audio, Nordost power conditioners? Thanks!

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
Congratulations on a beautiful system which must sound wonderful. I saw that you once owned an SME 10 and then an SME 30. I started with a Model 10 and now have a 30/12. I'm curious about what you did not like with your 30. Could you please describe how your Raven sounds different from your old Model 30? Thanks.

Hi Peter :)
I had a 10, then a 20, then I bought a Roksan TMS 2, then bought another 20 (!) and kept both the TMS and the 20 for quite a while. Both had SME V arms - one had a Koetsu Bloodstone on, the other a DV XV1s. I then was going to consolidate both decks to get a 30. I ended up buying a used 30 after hearing 2 identical Model 30's - one with an SME V, the other with a Graham Phantom. So the plan was to buy the 30, sell the 20 and the TMS, buy a Phantom to go on the 30.

However, I then heard a TW Raven with a Phantom - and it just blew me away. Everything else was sold, I bought the Raven / Phantom (& an Ikeda arm as well for the Raven) and lived with it for 7 years or so. The Ikeda went a few years ago and the Phantom this year, replaced by a Thales Simplicity.

The 10 is fantastic - the jewel in the range. Whilst the 20 was better than the 10 - I enjoyed owning the 10 more (if that makes sense!) - the 30 was clearly better again - but I felt that the SME tonearms were restricting the overall performance. Hearing an A/B dem of two 30's - one with the Phantom, one with an SME V - showed this to be correct. They both had identical carts and phono amps for a proper comparison.

The Raven beats the 30 in every area - but then I have never had a Series V arm on a Raven, but certainly with the Phantom and then the Thales - it is a massive step up form the 30 / Series V. The soundstage, the quietness, the impact, detail - the Raven AC is the best deck i have ever heard. The AC is a huge step up from the Raven 1 incidentally.

The 30 is a lovely deck, I enjoyed my SME journey, but am pleased I got to the Raven, a deck I am sure will stay with me until I can afford a Thales TTT !!!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks for the reply, Simplicity. That is quite a story of turntables. I have had the opposite experience with the TW and SME tables, though I have never had a TW in my own system. I have always heard TW tables Raven, Blacknight and AC-1 in systems that to me sounded a bit warm and dark. This is how many describe the SME sound so I think much depends on the rest of the system and arm/cartridge matching. You did have that direct SME V/Phantom comparison and I respect your findings. I've read other reports which arrived at the same conclusion. Albert Porter over on Audiogon will soon be doing a 12" Phantom/SME V-12 direct comparison and I look forward to reading his impressions.

I just returned from visiting a guy who has both a Model 30 and the 30/12 with the V and V-12 arms. The 12" variant is better. Congratulations again on a very fine system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Peter,

I owned the SME30 with SME V and still consider it a great turntable. It had a stability and majesty that most other turntables lack - in some aspects you have less vinyl and more music with the SME30. I would happily live with it, but I was offered a Forsell Airforce one for a fraction of the price I could sell the SME and could not resist. The Forsell is an excellent sounding turntable, but it is much more complicated to operate - several air pumps and surge tanks, and a very unreliable motor!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing