Aesthetix ATLAS amplifier

David

Aug 11, 2012
Hi Everybody,

I would like to know if someone has an Aesthetix Atlas stereo amplifier or Atlas mono in his system ?
Or if someone has listen to these amplifiers ?
... and so if it would be possible to tell me how is the sound of these amplifiers ?

I've seen very positive reviews on the Aesthetix web site :
http://www.aesthetix.net/saturn.php?product=atlas

But ideally, I would like to have the opinion about owners.

And could you give us informations on louspeakers you think are a good match with Atlas ?
From your experiences ...

Thanks

david

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have heard it with the JM LAb focals. Excellent IMO.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Try to PM ihatejazz at www.wiredstate.com. He uses the monos with Maxx 2s to good effect. He doesn't really hate jazz in case you're wondering. LOL.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I heard/read somewhere that the Atlas has recently gotten a revision (since the Stereophile review). Quieter, now.

Do you know if this is the "Signature" update (which is relatively new) or something different?

I'll likely be evaluating the Atlas Signature stereo with either Rockport Mira II or Revel F52s in about 2 weeks. I'll post some thoughts here once that happens.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I have an Atlas Signature in my system and after 200+ hours of burn in, it's wonderful.

David

Aug 11, 2012
have a friend who will receive one in a few days...I'll ask him to comment. He owns a Devialet currently.

Hi Keith,
which model of Atlas will have your friend ? stereo ? stereo signature ? mono signature ?
what are his loudspeakers and system that will be matched with Atlas ?
it would be great indeed if you could give us your opinion and the one of your friend after first listening sessions !
And even VS Devialet D premier (I'm familiar with the Devialet, so I'm interested to know)
Waiting to read you
all the best

David

Aug 11, 2012
I heard/read somewhere that the Atlas has recently gotten a revision (since the Stereophile review). Quieter, now.

Hi,
I heard too yhings like this ... but not sure about what are exactly these news things / revision ...
nothing on the web site of the constructor it seems ...
a friend have heard this revision could concern the mono ...
nobody know exactly ?

David

Aug 11, 2012
Do you know if this is the "Signature" update (which is relatively new) or something different?

I'll likely be evaluating the Atlas Signature stereo with either Rockport Mira II or Revel F52s in about 2 weeks. I'll post some thoughts here once that happens.

Hi Amp,
I'm interested to know how it sounds with Rockport Mira II ...
all the best

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I heard these amps at RMAF in the Aesthetix room on the mezzanine. I was extremely impressed. When I first entered the room, which was co-sponsired by Clearaudio, they were using their zillion dollar table and Goldfinger cartridge. Unfortunately it was an example that was seen repeatedly throughout RMAF- namely, the table was just not set up well and easily bested by CD and digital sources in the same room. When they went to computer source, the sound was fantastic. I put it high on my list for best sound at the show. Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters through the Focal Maestro speakers was simply superb. This was followed by some RR classical stuff which was also excellent. I'll tell you, I don't know of another 8K mono block amp that sounds this good. What I love about stuff like this is that it is affordable and darn good sounding. Why anyone would buy a sterile sounding 100K Solution amp over this one just boggles my mind. Long live affordable Hi End gear.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
We had an event recently with Aesthetix electronics and Vandersteen 7 speakers at a local dealer. It sounded terrible. No soundstage depth or width and the all important midrange was horrible. It really raised a lot of questions in my mind as Jim White was there for the setup. Maybe the Vandersteen 7s were a bad match for the gear but they sounded great with the previous ARC sources and Ayre amps.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We had an event recently with Aesthetix electronics and Vandersteen 7 speakers at a local dealer. It sounded terrible. No soundstage depth or width and the all important midrange was horrible. It really raised a lot of questions in my mind as Jim White was there for the setup. Maybe the Vandersteen 7s were a bad match for the gear but they sounded great with the previous ARC sources and Ayre amps.

Something else was seriously wrong in that setup. I heard the Atlas driving the Vandy 7s at CES and it sounded wonderful. None of what you described.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I thought the room with Aesthetix/Sonus Faber at THE Show sounded dark, dark, dark. Something clearly was amiss with speakers or electronics, or the pairing. It was in one of the better rooms at the show, so not room related.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Something else was seriously wrong in that setup. I heard the Atlas driving the Vandy 7s at CES and it sounded wonderful. None of what you described.

I'm not sure what it was but I was not impressed. It was 100% Aesthetix gear and the Vandy 7s so I'm not sure what else could be a factor. Some top of the line AQ cable. Same room, power, etc. as the ARC/Ayre and Vandy 7 setup from before.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Oops ..fly , ointment .. !!!! :)

I had taken a look at stereophiles test results and found output thd to be of the sonically desirable type ,a gradual increase of thd with increased output, suggest good sonics. Also i would compare balanced operation with single ended when auditioning this amplifier, as it does not appear to be a true balanced amplfier ...

There was some input tube issues with the sample submitted to stereophile , this could have been an issue when Lee auditioned the amplfier ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 700
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 696
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing