Tascam BR-20

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Spinning some Tape Project this evening on a Tascam BR-20.

TascamBR20.jpg

Reactions: sat7

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Very nice! I own one as well - did you modified it to play via an external preamp?

lowpoke

May 29, 2012
Australia
So what do you think? Is open reel everything you were hoping for?
(I ask this because I just purchased a Telefunken M15A and am getting ready to embark on my own tape journey. I've been impressed with the couple of Revoxes I have, but wanted to crank it up a notch with a master recorder.)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
So what do you think? Is open reel everything you were hoping for?

Yes. That of course means getting the correct software. Consumer 7.5 ips doesn't cut the mustard, imo. If you can access safety master dubs and you have appropriate output electronics, RTR sets the reference standard in general...not to say that vinyl can't approach it on highly well sorted rigs.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
For me, a good deck at 15 ips with good source material (like shown in the pic, Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus from the Tape Project) is awe inspiring. My Clearaudio Champion II has not lost favor but I must say this tape rig surpasses it. Now granted, my Clearaudio Champion II with an SME 309 and Benz Micro Glider can be improved on to get it to the next level. I just haven't spent the time or money to get there yet.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Nice looking system!
I agree 7.5ips pre recorded consumer tapes from back in the day are nothing like the Tape Project, Opus3, International Phonograph, or Yarlung tapes in sound quality.
I think one of the best sounding tapes out there is The Sweedish Jazz Kings from Opus3. However all the above listed sources have some awesome sounding tapes for sure.
I hardly play my $$$$ vinyl system, it's all tape these days.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
No, this one is stock.

I did have mine modified but the custom head is not the right choice for an external tape preamp, I am in the process to buy a new head (extended frequency Magnaflux or similar) and try again. It packs tape nicely!

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I did have mine modified but the custom head is not the right choice for an external tape preamp, I am in the process to buy a new head (extended frequency Magnaflux or similar) and try again. It packs tape nicely!

Yes it does. Even when spooling or FF/RW. It is incredible how true the reels run and how stable the tape path is at speed.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
For me, a good deck at 15 ips with good source material (like shown in the pic, Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus from the Tape Project) is awe inspiring. My Clearaudio Champion II has not lost favor but I must say this tape rig surpasses it. Now granted, my Clearaudio Champion II with an SME 309 and Benz Micro Glider can be improved on to get it to the next level. I just haven't spent the time or money to get there yet.

Are there good tapes to be had outside of the tape project..?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Are there good tapes to be had outside of the tape project..?

yes, trading with fellow tape heads, usually dubs from studio safety masters they have aquired over the years. Purchasing great sounding software is very limited in selection.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
There is some good stuff out there. Maybe not at good as the high end like Tape Project and Opus, but they don't carry the high price either. As for live stuff, that is hard to beat when mic'd well with a good machine. My buddy records jazz and classical at Trinity University on a Nagra. They are some pretty wicked tapes.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
What a beautiful tape the BR-20 is. I have the 42B and really love it. Hefting this 70lb beast up on its shelf is a daunting task. However, listening to it play 2 track tapes running at 15ips is wonderful, but can be better. I am waiting for my tape head pre amp and I will do a mini review.

jazzbo

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
What a beautiful tape the BR-20 is. I have the 42B and really love it. Hefting this 70lb beast up on its shelf is a daunting task. However, listening to it play 2 track tapes running at 15ips is wonderful, but can be better. I am waiting for my tape head pre amp and I will do a mini review.

jazzbo

Yes, these are robust decks. I don't know if you noticed in the picture that my living room is sunken. I have to pick up this 90+ pound rig to set it in the living room. I knew there was a reason for working out at the gym. I just never knew it would be audio related.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Wardsweb you know what, I had not noticed the sunken living room. What we won't do to be able to listen to great music played at the highest level. Not knocking turntables, CD players which I have, but, this reel to reel tape thing has got me captivated. I've just got to get my hands on more tapes. :)

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good morning Wardsweb,

I forgot to ask if you are using an outboard tape head playback pre amp. If you are, do you use 40, 50 or 60dB? Depending on which setting you use, do you get plenty of volume with your Tascam BR-20? I ask because the Tascam 42B use the same tape heads. Thanks much.

jazzbo

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Good morning Wardsweb,

I forgot to ask if you are using an outboard tape head playback pre amp. If you are, do you use 40, 50 or 60dB? Depending on which setting you use, do you get plenty of volume with your Tascam BR-20? I ask because the Tascam 42B use the same tape heads. Thanks much.

jazzbo

No mods on this deck. Running stock other than the pinch roller that I had Terry Witt rebuild. I highly recommend him. His turn around was quick, his workmanship impeccable and his price half of a factory original.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing