Evolution Acoustics MM3

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thought I'd post here first before putting on A-gon....

Speakers in perfect cond. Approx 2.5yr. old. Buyer will need to arrange shipping.

View attachment 6164

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Just after you got them dialed in! What's replacing them, please?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Was the tweeter height ever an issue given that you have to work with a console between you and your monitors Bruce?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Was the tweeter height ever an issue given that you have to work with a console between you and your monitors Bruce?

The center of the tweeter is 37" and the lowest my chair will go would put my ear at 44"

Is there any particular weakness in the MM3 are you trying to address, or do you just want to try something new?

I'm an audiophile!! I want that last .5% Plus, it's always cool to get new toys!!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm an audiophile!! I want that last .5% Plus, it's always cool to get new toys!!

Sure, but I am just wondering do you know which 0.5% is missing, and are you specifically trying to address that deficiency with a new speaker. If you buy another great speaker randomly the chips may fall either way, and your could end up with +/- 0.5%, and end up at 100% or 99%.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Sure, but I am just wondering do you know which 0.5% is missing, and are you specifically trying to address that deficiency with a new speaker.

I guess Mike L. is doing the same thing!! ;)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Sure, but I am just wondering do you know which 0.5% is missing, and are you specifically trying to address that deficiency with a new speaker. If you buy another great speaker randomly the chips may fall either way, and your could end up with +/- 0.5%, and end up at 100% or 99%.

An audiophile at 100%? Never gonna happen. ;)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I guess Mike L. is doing the same thing!! ;)

Not quite. Mike is buying a a better version of what he had before, so the risk of it being a lateral move or a step back is close to zero. However, you're getting an entirely new speaker, which could work out either way.

By the way, the one speaker I heard that blew me away was the MBL 101e. Probably not very suitable for a studio application. Is this on your shortlist?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Not quite. Mike is buying a a better version of what he had before, so the risk of it being a lateral move or a step back is close to zero.?

I don't think so. No one has actually heard a stereo pair of MM7's in a properly set up room, so at best, it's a crap shoot.

Yes, MBL is in contention as well. I'm open to all.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I don't think so. No one has actually heard a stereo pair of MM7's in a properly set up room, so at best, it's a crap shoot.

Good point, I was thinking that myself, but since I know little about rooms and speakers did not want to engage in speculation outside of my area of expertise. If I made such a suggestion on AVS forum I would be ripped to pieces.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

actually there is a set of MM7's (the first one's built) in the 'mountain region' in a room that is purpose built and a similar size to mine that Kevin already traveled to to set up.

the word is that they sounded phenominal.

same electronics as mine, except no analog sources.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
actually there is a set of MM7's (the first one's built) in the 'mountain region' in a room that is purpose built and a similar size to mine that Kevin already traveled to to set up.

See, there you go. "A" set with hearsay evidence. I wouldn't put $10 on odds like that. You're a gambling man Mike!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Sure, go to the blue note, order a pitcher of margarita, sit back and listen.

Shoot. If I drank a pitcher of margaritas in my own listening room, I would be at 100%. Reminds me of an old adage when I was single, drank a lot, and much, much younger and was "out on the town" looking for eligible (?) women: "you can drink 'em pretty but you can't drink 'em thin". I think some portion of that somehow applies to audio as well :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing