Cool Goo

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Just got a jar of transparent non-permanent adhesive goo called Clear Museum Gel. I'm using it to fix a glass table top to its base, because the glass top tipped the other day when one of the cats decided to jump on it.
It is only recommended for surfaces that are described as "impenetrable" including glass, Formica, polished granite, some varnished woods, metals, etc. I have no assurance that this will not stain, although the instructions imply that on such "impenetrable" surfaces, it will not. It is like clear silly putty, and is allegedly easily removable if you need to break the bond.
I have no idea what the applications might be for audio equipment, but thought I'd mention it. It will, hopefully, make this table top cat-proof!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Might be competition for good ol' blu-tack :D

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Might be competition for good ol' blu-tack :D

I called Bostik who makes Blu Tak first. They don't have a transparent goo. Also, this stuff can be re-used, i think- just like silly putty. (except I don't think it will lift images from color comics in the newspaper, remember that?)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like my Silly Putty much more than my Pet Rock. At least my Silly Putty didn't fling itself into our neighbor's window. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I like my Silly Putty much more than my Pet Rock. At least my Silly Putty didn't fling itself into our neighbor's window. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL.

I'm not going to ask you about your Mood Ring.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
.....or my tube sock collection! :D

Where'd you buy it Bill? I don't have cats but I have a very energetic 5 year old.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
.....or my tube sock collection! :D

Where'd you buy it Bill? I don't have cats but I have a very energetic 5 year old.
Amazon. With Prime membership, got it overmight. I think it was 10 bucks or so, and for next day, paid an additional dollop for shipping. It's called Clear Museum Gel. 4 oz. Nicely packaged, coherent instructions.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Bill :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thanks Bill :)

just need to check that it's not poison if your child eats it.
OK, just checked, the package says it's non-toxic, but I still wouldn't eat it.
Interestly, the company that makes it is in the business of disaster preparedness, and this stuff is made for folks to secure precious objects against earthquakes. I guess you could probably get stocked up for the next war from them too. Whatever. Here's a link to the product on their site, but i got it, as mentioned, from the big A. As sold on Amazon, it's styled as Museum Gel, not Quake Ready!

http://store.shopreadyamerica.com/22111a.html

See also, http://store.shopreadyamerica.com/33111a.html

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hmmmm. Should be good for keeping paintings lined up too.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hmmmm. Should be good for keeping paintings lined up too.
I think you have to be careful about applying it to any permeable surface. There are rubbery clear dots we use for that, rather than this stuff. It's weird, we have a line of large vintage photos hanging in the living room, all taken by Muybridge (the guy that did those original motion photography shots back in the 1880's). The whole point was to get them to line up perfectly. It took hours, using one of those laser guided things, a friend who owns an antique shop helped, etc. One kept going crooked after a few days, even though it was hung correctly, balanced, etc. I don't believe in hauntings, though my wife does. We got these clear rubbery dots that are used to prevent framed picture slippage- worked like a charm.
No more ghosts. Or whatever.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing