What's Best for Redbook: Oppo BDP 95 or Mytek 192 DSD DAC

jackiejr

Jun 26, 2011
New Jersey
I have the Oppo and sounds just ok with Redbook. I want to improve SQ. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
The Mytek is in my price range.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have an Exempler modified Oppo and the Mytek.... Definitely the Mytek trumps the Oppo in both PCM and DSD.

frank.hardly

Jan 1, 2013
North Vancouver, B.C.
Think Chordette QuteHD

I have the Oppo and sounds just ok with Redbook. I want to improve SQ. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I just picked up the new Chord Electronics Chordette QuteHD (quite a mouthful). I was interested in the Mytek, but no one had one in stock and I just sold my Audiolab MDAC. I read all the reviews and one item that struck me from a couple of professional reviews was the comment that the QuteHD makes redbook sound like hirez. I've been playing this machine about 6 hours and I have to say I am floored how good redbook sounds on this machine. If you don't need headphone amp and pre-amp capability, I would seriously look into this DAC as it also does DSD. Its a bit more expensive than the Mytek, but its really simple and sounds fantastic.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

Neither would be great for RBCD, but I add the caveat that my opinion is based on technology understanding and others' listening reports as I've not heard either firsthand.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
For best Redbook you need to be on an R2R DAC IMO. The Audio Note kits are very good for the money if you can do DIY. If not then the TotalDAC Dual is good. If you can go a bit further in budget, I would recommend the Aries Cerat as my end game DAC. I am done. no need to mess around anymore.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. At 2400 dollars It is only 400 bucks more than the Mytek, does not waste any resources on DSD, MQA. Is an R2R DAC of stellar sound quality. Outrageous resolution (I still can't believe how much micro-detail of timbre it resolves in my system), great tone, great dynamics. I have the first generation Yggdrasil, the current version is unanimously described as being even better.

There are many voices on the web that confirm it is outstanding on Redbook (which is also what I listen to exclusively).

jackiejr

Jun 26, 2011
New Jersey
I actually like to play cd's, pick through the collection, instead of downloading the discs onto a hard drive. So, I upgraded the Oppo's power cord and am happy with the result. My experience has shown that soundstage, imaging and atmospherics are easier to achieve(concerning the power cord)) than timbre, dynamics, etc. Are R2R and NOS DAC's the same?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing