European Trip

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
any recommendation/suggestion for a first time European trip?

my wife want to visit Italy..

I want to visit Germany (drive Autobahn maybe?) and France

are guided/structured tours a good idea?

what's the best time of the year?

Possibly me, wife and 2 daughters (25 been to Paris/London twice, 18)

we are all in good physical shape, but are laid back vacationers - not the backpacking type

a friend of mine did France - booked everything individually himself, rented a car and drove the scenic spots outside the city.. I want to do the same, in Italy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll be in Spain for for most of November. Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I left the detailed planning to my wife and our two traveling companions. You could say it is a gastronomic and architectural tour :)

I don't like the pace and lack of freedom of packaged tours but I have enjoyed getting a car and driver for some of the larger cities like Paris.

I like traveling in the fall because of the weather and the colors we never see back home. Living in Canada, my guess is you'll like late spring or summer more except perhaps August(?) where everything is closed for vacation.

I would definitely rent a car and drive. It's so easy these days with GPS. Just be sure to match the car with the city. Some cities have very narrow roads and parking can be tough. The four of us opted for 2 hatches instead of an estate or SUV. The latter definitely being a no go.

Last stop is Amsterdam. I wonder why. LOL.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Being Italian I'm obviously biased in favor of Italy :rolleyes:

Being born in Rome... well, needless to say it!!! Honestly, Italy is filled with wonderful places, but nothing compares to Rome. If you decided to go there, you should spend there at least 7-10 days. You'd love it. Also, a very nice hotel in the center of the city, Hotel Quirinale, is directed by an audiophile guy, Marco Benedetti, who's very famous among the Italian audiophiles being writer for the magazine Audio Review (he's a kind of Italian Fremer...).

If you'd like to travel around, then, I'd move to Tuscany: Florence, Siena and, as you'd be not far, Pisa, are somehow a must. Otherwise, you might consider to move to Southern Italy, such as going to Naples, which is maybe even more beautiful than Florence, despite dangerous in certain districts.

Feel free to write to me in PM if you needed info. :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
What time of year are you contemplating this? I have tons of reccomendations, particularly if you want me to spend your money:
fly to paris, i like the bristol because it is an english hotel in paris, and old fashioned, but there are others- hang, shop for a couple days, take in a few museums, etc. It is a wonderful walking city. I can give you some great restaurants- often there are bargains to be had at lunch, e.g. at the Grand Vefour and there are some wonderful dives where real Parisians eat.
you could probably still get the Orient express from paris to venice, quite spectacular; venice has some very serious hotels and the food is a little trickier; tourism by now is probably down, which is a good thing, but the weather there can suck; the gondolas are actually cool, there are some wonderful things to see-
or
Roma- hire a private guide to get you into the Vatican and a couple other spots; a good private driver to take you to some places outside the city for the day; phenomenal food, hotels, etc.
Florence is also a great city for art, food, walking;
Germany- if you are interested in a fun ride, go to the Ring and have the Ring taxi take you on a hot lap; I don't know when weather will make that impossible.
One of my favorite spots to chill out is a little hotel next the walled town of St. Paul de Vence called Colum D'Or- littered with serious modern art from pre-WWII, decent food, nice pool with Calder mobiles- cool spot at Xmas time. It is a 20 minute drive into the hills from the airport in Nice.

Etc.
You are welcome to send me a private message and i'll be glad to give you more specifics on particular hotels or restuarants in various cities. My biggest concern would be that at this point in the year, you may be heading for some lousy weather.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
What time of year are you contemplating this? I have tons of reccomendations, particularly if you want me to spend your money:
fly to paris, i like the bristol because it is an english hotel in paris, and old fashioned, but there are others- hang, shop for a couple days, take in a few museums, etc. It is a wonderful walking city. I can give you some great restaurants- often there are bargains to be had at lunch, e.g. at the Grand Vefour and there are some wonderful dives where real Parisians eat.
you could probably still get the Orient express from paris to venice, quite spectacular; venice has some very serious hotels and the food is a little trickier; tourism by now is probably down, which is a good thing, but the weather there can suck; the gondolas are actually cool, there are some wonderful things to see-
or
Roma- hire a private guide to get you into the Vatican and a couple other spots; a good private driver to take you to some places outside the city for the day; phenomenal food, hotels, etc.
Florence is also a great city for art, food, walking;
Germany- if you are interested in a fun ride, go to the Ring and have the Ring taxi take you on a hot lap; I don't know when weather will make that impossible.
One of my favorite spots to chill out is a little hotel next the walled town of St. Paul de Vence called Colum D'Or- littered with serious modern art from pre-WWII, decent food, nice pool with Calder mobiles- cool spot at Xmas time. It is a 20 minute drive into the hills from the airport in Nice.

Etc.
You are welcome to send me a private message and i'll be glad to give you more specifics on particular hotels or restuarants in various cities. My biggest concern would be that at this point in the year, you may be heading for some lousy weather.

you're making me hungry. good thing my wife is also a foodie and oenophile, its all we seem to do over there is contemplate our next meal. imho, eating is the best thing to do in europe, the old buildings are nice too ;)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
you're making me hungry. good thing my wife is also a foodie and oenophile, its all we seem to do over there is contemplate our next meal. imho, eating is the best thing to do in europe, the old buildings are nice too ;)
The first time my wife and I took a trip to Europe I was pretty aggressive with restaurant booking, 1 stars for lunch, 2 or 3 stars for dinner. (At the time, I didn't know enough to hunt out the joints where the locals could get a serious meal- my wife still talks about a little diner outside of Lyon on a trip a few years ago). But on that first trip together, we managed to work our way from Paris to the South of France stuffing ourselves on the best stuff at the best restaurants until we simply couldn't eat another thing. I didn't even want to think about food by the end of that week. By the time we got to Italy, we were all for simple meals. My eating habits have changed considerably in the last couple years, but there is something about the bread in france and the pasta in italy that is still hard to duplicate here. The swordfish in Sicily just tastes different. So do blood oranges in france. Some of my best memories are around food. It's surprising I'm not 300 lbs.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My vote is for south of France, specifically Nice in spring. Nothing replaces sitting by the sidewalk there, having amazing baguette and cheese, while looking at the beach! Lovely little villages there where you can shop for herbs (Herbes de Provence to be clear). Spring avoids the crowds but has very good weather.

Next highlight for me was visiting Neuschwanstein and the castle there (http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/palace/index.htm) that Disneyland is modeled after. Seeing it from far was a lot of fun so don't feel obligated to climb to it. Driving the Autobahn at 150 miles per hour is another attraction :D. I also enjoy the salt mines close to the Austrian border. And Zugspitze peak.

As you can tell, I am a fan of natural beauty there :).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My vote is for south of France, specifically Nice in spring. Nothing replaces sitting by the sidewalk there, having amazing baguette and cheese, while looking at the beach! Lovely little villages there where you can shop for herbs (Herbes de Provence to be clear). Spring avoids the crowds but has very good weather.

Next highlight for me was visiting Neuschwanstein and the castle there (http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/palace/index.htm) that Disneyland is modeled after. Seeing it from far was a lot of fun so don't feel obligated to climb to it. Driving the Autobahn at 150 miles per hour is another attraction :D. I also enjoy the salt mines close to the Austrian border. And Zugspitze peak.

As you can tell, I am a fan of natural beauty there :).
Nice is nice, and unlike many airport car rental spots, Budget used to rent Ferraris, probably still do. The Picasso Museum near Cap d'Antibe is wonderful. But have you stayed up in the hills? Less going on, but also quiet beauty, a drive over to Eze, to the provencal towns north of Grasse, etc. Hit the Riveria on occasion, but stay very far away during the film festival.
It's like Beverly Hills. Even the dogs speak Rodeo Drive then. :)
PS: nice castle, dude!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nice is nice, and unlike many airport car rental spots, Budget used to rent Ferraris, probably still do. The Picasso Museum near Cap d'Antibe is wonderful. But have you stayed up in the hills? Less going on, but also quiet beauty, a drive over to Eze, to the provencal towns north of Grasse, etc. Hit the Riveria on occasion, but stay very far away during the film festival.
It's like Beverly Hills. Even the dogs speak Rodeo Drive then. :)
PS: nice castle, dude!
No, I did not stay in the hills. Took a delightful day trip there. Agree about Cannes and film festival. Didn't find the town that attractive and of course it is crazy when the festival is going on.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
thanks for the responses gentlemen. We are at the very initial planning stage. It will probably happen sometime next year, we'll have to coordinate the vacation of the three of us working family members with the time off from school of our university student.

will ask more questions later.. I am loving how this thread is shaping into.. pls keep 'em coming.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
when i think of Nice i think Moules-frites! this time we went for the f1 race at monaco in 2004 (20-min train ride from Nice) and not the food but the food was spectacular nonetheless. the race follows the cannes film festival by a week (late-May) which is why you see many celebrities walking around monte carlo on race week. it was a childhood dream come true for me.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Here is some advice from a native European (lived there for 40 years) that has travelled the entire continent many times over (starting on a $10/day budget backpacking and sleeping on the beaches, at some point shuttling between Nice and Monte Carlo in a Heli for work, and somewhere in between DJ'ing in a beach club on the Cote D'Azur).

If you have two weeks, try to stick with one country. If you have three weeks, you can split between two.
Forget the autobahn, Germany is not the most interesting place. If you want to do 150 mpg, get a course in a stockcar - lot safer too.
The one city you don't want to miss on a first time visit is Paris - it lives up to the hype 100%
Do not get your own car in Paris. Watse of time and sources of aggrevation. Jump on those open tourist buses, use taxi's or subway.

I would pick France for a first time visit. Fly into Paris, spend a few days (don't mis Versailles), then pick up a rental car, and travel aorund. Italy has more to offer architecturally, but the highlights are more spread out, and France is just an easier travel destination. If you have three weeks, you can do France and Italy. If you end up in Italy, do not mis Venice, another much hyped place that totally lives up to the hype.

Read up on France and pick destinations. Obviously the jetsetting is on the Cote D'Azur. Check it out for a few days - bring plenty cash. There are beautiful mediaval cities like Avignon not to far away. Work your way trough the bourgondy wine region. You can visit Champagne producers as well.

One of the highlights is to stay in authentic historical hotels and castles. Check out this website (there are probably many more sources).

http://www.historichotelsofeurope.com/Default.aspx

I would plan my trip driving from one histrorical hotel to the next - like this the overnight stay becomes part of the experience rather than just a place to sleep.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
edorr~ i think i could travel with you. I agree. The 'checklist' National Lampoon on European Vacation' is no fun. And Paris is a spectacular city, no matter how many times I've been there I'm still awed by its beauty, and it is very walkable- with considerable beauty along the way. One of the nice things about Paris is the so-called 'charm' hotels- you can stay in a very nice, historic, clean, small hotel for a relatively modest amount of money- typcially, budget hotels in big cities are pretty horrible.
Research is the key too. We used to subscribe to La Belle France, a newsletter that identified good hotels and restauants throughout the country. That was 20 years ago, I don't even know if it is still published but there's such an enormity of information available for the diligent traveller at all budgets.
Some of my favorites: Berthiion ice cream on the Il St Louis, along with the Alsacian bistro at the one end of the island;
The stroll along the Seine when the bookinist stalls are open, and again later at night;
Le Pete St. Benoix, a dive 'diner' near the Rue Jacob;
The Holocaust Memorial at the foot of Notre Dame (hardly uplifting, but powerful)
Sunday morning organ recital at Notre Dame
the D'Orsee
The Rodin Museum and the gardens when in bloom;
Grand Vefour for lunch
The Marais and the the Place de Vosges
The oddball shops, from the taxidermy place to the luthiers who make cellos;
L'Hotel on the Rue de Beaux Arts
Late dinner in one of the big old brasseries, like La Coupole (not for the food, as such, although it is decent, but for the vibe)
The TGV can get you out to the West- an overnight at Mt. St. Michel can be magical; Chartres is an easy day trip.
And since I like old graveyards, Pere Lachais is always a treat!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I look to stay away of guided tours, tools like Travel Advisor and other blogs are way more helpful than traditional travel agencies IMO.

I would also look to know well a single country than trying to visit too many of them in a short period of time, any of your options sound fantastic!

Besides travel blogs, double-decker tours and wire.less tools to guide you at museums is a practical way to know the most important places around.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
edorr~ i think i could travel with you. I agree. The 'checklist' National Lampoon on European Vacation' is no fun. And Paris is a spectacular city, no matter how many times I've been there I'm still awed by its beauty, and it is very walkable- with considerable beauty along the way. One of the nice things about Paris is the so-called 'charm' hotels- you can stay in a very nice, historic, clean, small hotel for a relatively modest amount of money- typcially, budget hotels in big cities are pretty horrible.
Research is the key too. We used to subscribe to La Belle France, a newsletter that identified good hotels and restauants throughout the country. That was 20 years ago, I don't even know if it is still published but there's such an enormity of information available for the diligent traveller at all budgets.
Some of my favorites: Berthiion ice cream on the Il St Louis, along with the Alsacian bistro at the one end of the island;
The stroll along the Seine when the bookinist stalls are open, and again later at night;
Le Pete St. Benoix, a dive 'diner' near the Rue Jacob;
The Holocaust Memorial at the foot of Notre Dame (hardly uplifting, but powerful)
Sunday morning organ recital at Notre Dame
the D'Orsee
The Rodin Museum and the gardens when in bloom;
Grand Vefour for lunch
The Marais and the the Place de Vosges
The oddball shops, from the taxidermy place to the luthiers who make cellos;
L'Hotel on the Rue de Beaux Arts
Late dinner in one of the big old brasseries, like La Coupole (not for the food, as such, although it is decent, but for the vibe)
The TGV can get you out to the West- an overnight at Mt. St. Michel can be magical; Chartres is an easy day trip.
And since I like old graveyards, Pere Lachais is always a treat!

Paris is always a blast. I once ran the Paris marathon, but probably the most fun thing I ever did was the Friday night roller skate event (biggest in the world). 6,000 roller skaters racing through town behind police on motor cycle stopping traffic. This is obviously was when I was young. Most recent activity 2 years ago was walking up the Eiffel tower with my 9 year old.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Paris is always a blast. I once ran the Paris marathon, but probably the most fun thing I ever did was the Friday night roller skate event (biggest in the world). 6,000 roller skaters racing through town behind police on motor cycle stopping traffic. This is obviously was when I was young. Most recent activity 2 years ago was walking up the Eiffel tower with my 9 year old.
The roller skating thing sounds cool as hell. do they do that every year?

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The most amazing and beautiful spot we visited in Europe was Cinque Terre in Italy. Even though rain last fall caused significant damage to two of the villages (and death), it is still highly recommended as much work has been done to prepare for tourists. Google it and check out the photos. BREATH TAKING !!!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The most amazing and beautiful spot we visited in Europe was Cinque Terre in Italy. Even though rain last fall caused significant damage to two of the villages (and death), it is still highly recommended as much work has been done to prepare for tourists. Google it and check out the photos. BREATH TAKING !!!

Italy would be a close second favorite recommended destination. You can get a cheap flight into Milan (get the hell out - not much to see except for the Duomo). Take a train from Milan to Venice (excellent train), spend a few days there. Then pick up a rental car and work your way down to Florence (second most beautiful city in Europe after Paris IMO). Go a bit furted south into Tuscany then hit the coastline (don't mis Pisa on the way there). You then work your way up to Genoa (much underrated - gorgeous city), stop by Cinque Terre on the way, and also swing by Portofino of course. From Genoa is is s straight 4 hour shot back to Milan - drop off the car at the airport and head back. If you have a day to spare, you can see Lago Maggiore (1 hour north of Milan). Marvelous trip. Bit tight for two weeks. You can shorten it by cutting out Tuscany and head straight from Florence to Pisa and the coast. Not recommended in high season, because the coastal roads are too congested. This itenerary would arguably be a more unique experience than France but a bit more elaborate and adventurous. I also would never want to miss Paris on a first trip to Europe.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing