NHB-18NS phono section

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I'm considering this preamp, and had some questions about the phono section for the members.

How does it compare to other stand alone phono stages or ones built into other preamps?

From Stereophile John Atkinson had this to say

Both the ultrasonic tip-mass resonance of a typical MC cartridge and the ultrasonic content of record ticks will be emphasized compared with conventional RIAA equalization, with possible audible consequences depending on the downstream components. I wish this were a switchable option

Do owners feel the phono-section is more unforgiving of surface noise given its use of enhanced RIAA eq curve?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm considering this preamp, and had some questions about the phono section for the members.

How does it compare to other stand alone phono stages or ones built into other preamps?

Do owners feel the phono-section is more unforgiving of surface noise given its use of enhanced RIAA eq curve?

I tested it against a Pass Labs XP-25 two-box phono preamp, and they were different. The internal pre is smoother, has a nicer, smoother midrange. I did not hear any emphasis on surface noise on the internal pre.

alexandre

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I think Mike Lavigne compared his to various free-standing phono stages, including the Allnic, which I use. I'm sure Mike will weigh in when he sees this. (and don't worry about hurting my feelings, Mike, I'm pretty happy with the sound of the Allnic but gather than the Dart can hold its own). When you consider the cost of an alleged state of the art line stage and separate phono stage, the Dart can almost be justified as a bargain.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Thank you whart and Alexandre, I will do a search here to see if I can find more info.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thank you whart and Alexandre, I will do a search here to see if I can find more info.

Some of Mike's comparisons may have been posted under his system thread on the 'Gon. But, he's an active member here, and I'm sure will give you his views once he sees this thread and gets time to post.
PS not discounting Alexandre's views in any of this.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
the only downside is determining your best loading...you need to decide and solder in the resistor. Not very convenient especially when you are going back and fourth between loading values.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

you will need to go to the stand-alone $30k Yipsalon to surpass the 18NS in performance. there are other phono stages that are different sounding, as opposed to better sounding. matters of taste. there are a number of good phono stages to suit many tastes.

personally i'm a fan of natural neutrality in a phono stage and electronics. as far as any enhanced surface noise i don't hear that.

some of the advantages of the phono in the 18NS are that it's battery powered, and part of the line stage, so no additional expensive interconnects or power cords, it does not need it's own shelf space. i use 2 arms, one with a mono cartridge and one with a stereo cartridge. i have 2 phono cards in my 18NS and it is so elegant and simple to do. as far as changing values on the phono card, it is really quite easy if you are reasonably proficient with a soldering iron. and you can have as much as 77 db of gain. switches for loading are not the highest performing implimentation, although many things go into performance.

i have compared the 18NS over the years to a number of other phono stages, and owned the 2nd generation Alnic H3000 phono stage, which i think the 18NS easily surpassed, as good as the Alnic was.

the phono in the 18NS will allow the best of your cartridge to come thru without restrictions. it is amazingly quiet and very highly resolving. it has great believable dynamics, but especially great micro-dynamics.

if you are a darTZeel amplifier owner and can take advantage of the BNC zeel cables to enhance the whole performance at a reasonable cost it's hard to beat the 18NS as a preamp-phono.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Thanks for the info Mike.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing