What is the BEST battery to use in our remote controls?

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Have you had problems with batteries in your remotes leaking?

Seems like in the past 8 years or so, the quality of batteries has taken a nose-dive. I’ve now lost three or four remotes to leaking Alkaline batteries.

These leaks occurred within a few years of the batteries being put in.

So the question is: regardless of costs, what is the BEST battery to use in our remote controls?

A key criteria is: wont leak! I don’t mind changing them when they wear out, I just don’t want them ruining the gear (and the coffee table).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I use Duracell alkaline and find them to be very good against leakage. We buy them in bulk from Costco so price is more reasonable that way.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I like duracell alkaline as well as energizer, but I have had both leak also, even in MagLite flashlights.

I suggest keeping tabs on how old the batteries are and the expiration dates on them. I have found more leakage when the batteries were older, and in some remotes, the batteries have power after than their expiration dates, but LEAK before them.

Don't keep batteries until the bitter end. Throw them out before they run out of power.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Thanks Amir, Gary, I also buy Duracell Alkalines, but it's precisely those that have leaked on me repeatedly in the past few years.

I went through the entire house today examining all my batteries (I have too many darned remotes I learned). And here's the interesting thing:

Older Duracells expiring in the early 2000's (like 2002) were just fine ten years on. But one remote had cells expiring in 2014 that had been put in service in 2011 that had already started leaking.

Old (and mean old as in 1997) carbon zinc batteries made in Japan were absolutely pristine.

So Gary's advice about replacing before expiry date is very good.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Is there an advantage to using Lithium technology batteries in terms of longevity AND leak-resistance?

Lithium seems prized for high-energy delivery and broad temp spectrum, but I've not seen enough on leaks and how damaging they might be.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Jonathan. I really don't think there is a "best" battery. I use Energizer but only for the same reasons that Amir does with the only exception of purchasing mine at Sam's Club for the bulk cost savings. I have only had a few batteries leak over the decades and I can say that every time they have, it is always on a remote or device that has sat idle for quite some time. I always remove the batteries if something goes into the closet along with the toys that my son no longer uses but I never reuse them, even if they test good [unless I know for a fact that were just installed within the last month with little to no usage and I make sure that these are the first to go into something]. Disclaimer; All of my remotes for the rig and TV's get a heavy volume of use and are swapped out often just for that reason. It's always because they die on me or they might measure within an acceptable range of voltage but act flaky when I go to use them. Same goes for my sons [3 year old] toy's.

Please allow me to throw a question back at you. What brands or types of batteries have failed on you, if you happen to remember? I find that this is a great question you raised, regardless of the outcome. I'll be following this one for sure to see what the general consensus may be as we go through batteries like a tornado through a trailer park.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I use Costco's private label "Kirkland Signature" batteries and have for over 10 years, with never a problem. They are a regular alkaline battery. Don't quote me, but I believe they are made by Johnson Controls.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Tom, I've been loyal to Duracell for 15+ years, so that's what's started failing on me, never used to happen a decade ago. I think build quality has taken a hit in recent years.

As for what's best, I think for remote controls it's fairly easy to define the set of criteria that would make an ideal battery:
  1. Does NOT leak
  2. Handles infrequent use, long in-service/device lifespan
  3. Handles slow discharges
  4. Delivers rated voltage at consistent level, then drops off quickly (vs long slow decay in voltage)

At least, that's my take on priority.

I don't mind picking up a remote and realizing the batteries are dead and having to replace them. I do mind having to throw away and replace the remote because the batteries leaked.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Is there an advantage to using Lithium technology batteries in terms of longevity AND leak-resistance?

Lithium seems prized for high-energy delivery and broad temp spectrum, but I've not seen enough on leaks and how damaging they might be.

Lithium batteries can be scary because they can become thermally unstable and catch fire. And once they catch fire, good luck putting them out. I have to admit I thought this thread was going to get into certain brands of batteries that lower the noise floor of your system and increase the dimensions of the sound stage in all directions.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Lithium batteries can be scary because they can become thermally unstable and catch fire. And once they catch fire, good luck putting them out. I have to admit I thought this thread was going to get into certain brands of batteries that lower the noise floor of your system and increase the dimensions of the sound stage in all directions.

Duracells present a bigger sound stage, but it's a bit larger than life IMO. Energizers are closer to the original event. Lithiums are unquestionably the best. Better detail, lower noise floor, excellent sound staging. The differences are not subtle, especially when properly burned-in. But this is in MY remote control. The most important thing is to seek synergy between batteries and remote. You may find your bliss with Ray-O-Vacs.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Mep,
Perhaps we can assume that the best batteries will supply an higher voltage to the remote during their lifetime. As a consequence the remote will irradiate more power. If it is an infra-red remote the energy will warm up the air molecules and your system will sound warmer. This is just basic physics. ;) However if it is an RF remote, it will disturb the whole environment for several minutes - perhaps it is one of the causes of long warmup in some systems if switched-on using the remote and sound quality variation during auditions. This hypothesis has not been proved until now, and lacks physics support. In between we should avoid remotes. Why do you thing many high-end preamplifiers do not have a remote? Or why some people say a KBL sounds better than a KRC? :rolleyes:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I use rechargeable batteries in almost everything including remote controls and the results are good. The Sanyo Eneloop are pretty good, a little pricey and are available at Amazon. Always have a pair or a 4-pack recharging .. They don't leak either or at least have not leaked in my experience .. If you find your self changing batteries a lot rechargeable may be your best bet ...

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Duracells present a bigger sound stage, but it's a bit larger than life IMO. Energizers are closer to the original event. Lithiums are unquestionably the best. Better detail, lower noise floor, excellent sound staging. The differences are not subtle, especially when properly burned-in. But this is in MY remote control. The most important thing is to seek synergy between batteries and remote. You may find your bliss with Ray-O-Vacs.

Tim

KUDOS to Tim. This may arguably be thee best post ever in this forum. I laughed my ass off.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
KUDOS to Tim. This may arguably be thee best post ever in this forum. I laughed my ass off.

Thanks. I'll be here all week.

Famous Texas guitarist, Eric Johnson, believes he can hear the batteries in his effects pedals. He won't use AC adapters. Won't touch rechargables. Doesn't even like alkalines. Old-school. Change them before every gig, sometimes even between sets. Like he can hear the difference between pedals on stage with a drummer and a bass player. Another brand of audiophile. I doubt he has the coin to be this brand. He's not that famous.

Tim

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
After some more research, decided to buy some Energizer Alkaline Advanced Lithium batteries for the remotes.

They have long shelf-life, much higher resistance to leaks with not one report in the amazon reviews on problems to that effect.

Their duration in low-drain situations is not entirely well documented, but it seems they won't last any longer than an alkaline, but in this case, I care more about leak-prevention than duration. So Lithium it is.

Here are some good threads on this topic elsewhere:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?276873-Least-likely-to-leak-batteries

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...um-vs-Alkaline-AA-batteries-leaking-potential

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing