Avalon Acoustics 2012 factory tour

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had the opportunity to met Lucien Pichet in person this week - VP of sales - at RMAF, while Lucien has always been a very kind person answering my multiple mails this past months, meeting him in person was a real treat.

I was there listening to the Avalon monitor soeakers with Rowland gear top to bottom (I will post about my impressions of the room sound shortly) - and Lucien was kind enough to invite me to the Avalon Acoustics factory at Boulder (45 min ride from RMAF) and hear the new Compas model for the next day.

We arrived on time and met with other invitees (providers, industry executives and audio enthusiasts) and had the opportunity to salute Neil Patel again after almost 20 years when we met in Mexico.. Neil is as energetic and brilliant as 20 years ago (maybe more since he has acumulated sone additional experience now) and updated the group about the company's new endavours and business goals, all pointing to the same mission since inception, build the best possible speakers available.

After a single malt and some chat, we went thru the facility tour, I was impressed of how clean and neat it looked, taking into consideration that it is mostly a wood cabinetry facility in terms of space - one could feel not just Neil's pride for what happens on a daily basis in there, but also his people passion for execution.

It was great to confirm the hard work that is placed on every single speaker built at Avalon Acoustics, no matter if it is the small Idea or the Isis, they all receive the same attention to quality, handcrafted process and finishing methods, drivers are similar all over the model range (depending on each design of course) and all the electronics, veneers and cabling loops which are hand made, it is really an artisans work!

You won't find here mass produced, factory lines or distracted people manipulating robotics, just dedicated and proud teams devoted to build great loudsoeakers, one at the time.

I will post some pictures that I was allowed to take during the tour, as well as describing my experience at the new listening room including my impressions on the recently introduced Compas model, for now I can surely say that it was a life experience to have the opportunity to visit the Avalon Acoustics factory, meet with their people and of course confirm my view of the very high standards and passion that Neil, Lucien and all the team apply to give the music lover a fine option to reproduce music in a way that the speaker removes itself from the equation, leaving just the drama, message and intention of the artist within each of his/her musical masterpieces.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Here is a pic of the new Avalon listening room, it is a HUGE place heavily treated where no wall size is a product of casualty. I can honestly say that this has been one of the three best sonic experiences in my life, period.

The demo had it all, space retrieval transparency resolution, tone rightness, but above all, music all over the place - all the guest were talking about many other things except what amplification was involved (which by the way was Rowland), if the music came from a digital server or a tape, and so many other basic things - the conversation versed around the technical improvements on speaker design and how we can really experiment an almost-perfect sonic reproduction at home.

More pics coming...

Attachments

• avalon.jpg
    avalon.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3,391

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
great stuff!! Thanks! But you missed one small detail...what single malt did you have? ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Fernando-Did the Avalon speakers at the factory have that same sound where the soundstage was 15' behind the front plane of the speakers like they did at RMAF?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Fernando-Did the Avalon speakers at the factory have that same sound where the soundstage was 15' behind the front plane of the speakers like they did at RMAF?

Not at all Mark, it was just music floating all around.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Here is a pic of the new Avalon listening room, it is a HUGE place heavily treated where no wall size is a product of casualty. I can honestly say that this has been one of the three best sonic experiences in my life, period.

The demo had it all, space retrieval transparency resolution, tone rightness, but above all, music all over the place - all the guest were talking about many other things except what amplification was involved (which by the way was Rowland), if the music came from a digital server or a tape, and so many other basic things - the conversation versed around the technical improvements on speaker design and how we can really experiment an almost-perfect sonic reproduction at home.

More pics coming...

Wow...at least as much money spent on Acustica Applicata than speakers :p;)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Here is a picture of the inside cabinetry work from Avalon, they employ custom-made tools for each speaker model and of course operated by hand - wood selection, layers, inside traps and resonances are validated from a design that is a result of R&D, listening and measurement sessions. Just knock on any Avalon speaker and one can tell this are seriously made cabinets. Again, they do resonate (just a tad), but for a reason as Neil explained during the tour.

Attachments

• avalon inside.JPG
    avalon inside.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 8,576

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Here is a picture of the inside cabinetry work from Avalon, they employ custom-made tools for each speaker model and of course operated by hand - wood selection, layers, inside traps and resonances are validated from a design that is a result of R&D, listening and measurement sessions. Just knock on any Avalon speaker and one can tell this are seriously made cabinets. Again, they do resonate (just a tad), but for a reason as Neil explained during the tour.

I always love insights in firms like Avalon. Did you have the opportunity to ask critical questions? I have always wondered why Avalon keeps on using MDF for its cabinets. There are so much better materials available (like multi-layer birch). Looking forward to your next installment of the tour:)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

OMG Heresy!:p

Some people would have you believe that if the cabinet wall moved a yoctometer it was too much.

The sound of music is what matters.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I always love insights in firms like Avalon. Did you have the opportunity to ask critical questions? I have always wondered why Avalon keeps on using MDF for its cabinets. There are so much better materials available (like multi-layer birch). Looking forward to your next installment of the tour:)

They have tried dozens of different wood options for the inside cabinet, Neil explained briefly that following the design of original musical instruments from the past, and staying away to build a speaker the same way a guitar does, they follow the principle of tuning the cabinet to the Q factor needed to maintain coherence and phase of internal drivers. As simple as it looks, there are different MDF densities involved and some finishes that seal and prepare the cabinet for its final design goal - pictures coming!

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
They have tried dozens of different wood options for the inside cabinet, Neil explained briefly that following the design of original musical instruments from the past, and staying away to build a speaker the same way a guitar does, they follow the principle of tuning the cabinet to the Q factor needed to maintain coherence and phase of internal drivers. As simple as it looks, there are different MDF densities involved and some finishes that seal and prepare the cabinet for its final design goal - pictures coming!

Thank you for your answer:)

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Have you seen the "most technologically advanced high energy transducer ever created" - TESSERACT?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing