New Spectral/MIT cables

coopersark

May 24, 2013
I noticed you are using Shunyata power conditioning in both systems. I have been advised to use MIT power conditioning, not Shunyata. Specifically, I've been told that Shunyata WILL NOT work with Spectral equipment. Obviously, I was misled. Have you compared the MIT to Shunyata power conditioning, and if so, results?
Thanks,
B
Shunyata power conditioning sounds terrible on my Spectral equipment. That's why I use so much of it. LOL!!! (Actually it sounds fantastic and elevates the Spectral gear to a much higher plane of performance!) You will hear details and dynamics that you did not know existed before. The only exception is the Spectral 4000 SL CD player sounds better on its own line (not plugged into the Triton/Typhon stack) using a Shunyata Alpha Digital cable.
I have tried my Spectral equipment without the Shunyata conditioning and the performance took a serious step down. Much more mechanical and veiled sounding.
Try a few of the Shunyata power cords on your equipment and judge for yourself! Yo can then go from there with building as much power conditioning as you see fit.
I have not been impressed with MIT power conditining although I do use one of their Z-Stabilizers on my computer's line to a decent effect.
I hope this helps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The beauty of Opus is only realized when it is tuned for the precise output impedance of the feeding component, so not a fair comparison. Don't get me wrong, the MIT cables are great in the context of my Spectral system (Dynamic and a sound stage width and depth that are beyond reproach), it is just that the Transparent is also great in my Audio Research system (Mid range through the highs sounds like the real thing - spooky good!). It is all system dependent! This is part of the reason that when I assembled a secondary system (Audio Research) I wanted it to have a different perspective on the sound than my main system. There is not a single audio system in the world today, nor has there ever been, that can "do it all" with equal adeptness. Every system possesses its strengths and every system possesses its weaknesses. One must pick and balance their individual hierarchy of sonic preferences when assembling an audio system to their own taste priorities.

I fully agree with you on the tuning of the Opus. They need to be matched to your equipment. I tried some Opus MM2 tuned for SS in my Audio Research system and it sounded veiled. Just got a properly tuned one for my REF Phono and it makes a large difference to the old cable. One of the nice things of the OPUS MM2 is that a 30 feet XLR sounds the same as 8 feet one in the REF40 - many other excellent cables in short lengths loose quality over 10 feet.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Shunyata power conditioning sounds terrible on my Spectral equipment. That's why I use so much of it. LOL!!! (Actually it sounds fantastic and elevates the Spectral gear to a much higher plane of performance!) You will hear details and dynamics that you did not know existed before. The only exception is the Spectral 4000 SL CD player sounds better on its own line (not plugged into the Triton/Typhon stack) using a Shunyata Alpha Digital cable.
I have tried my Spectral equipment without the Shunyata conditioning and the performance took a serious step down. Much more mechanical and veiled sounding.
Try a few of the Shunyata power cords on your equipment and judge for yourself! Yo can then go from there with building as much power conditioning as you see fit.
I have not been impressed with MIT power conditining although I do use one of their Z-Stabilizers on my computer's line to a decent effect.
I hope this helps.

Wish I'd talk to you before I purchased the MIT Z line. Oh well, up for sale soon
Thanks,
B

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Wish I'd talk to you before I purchased the MIT Z line. Oh well, up for sale soon
Thanks,
B

See if you can borrow a few Shunyata cables before you sell your MIT conditioning. Try for yourself first. Call Shunyata and ask to speak to Richard Rogers. He may be able to give you the name of a dealer who would make such an arrangement. Use my name - Rob Cooper when you call him. I am a big customer/user of Shunyata's products and that may help.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
See if you can borrow a few Shunyata cables before you sell your MIT conditioning. Try for yourself first. Call Shunyata and ask to speak to Richard Rogers. He may be able to give you the name of a dealer who would make such an arrangement. Use my name - Rob Cooper when you call him. I am a big customer/user of Shunyata's products and that may help.
Rob,
Thanks for the help, and will follow up with him. WTB Forum certainly pays off in the information connection.
B

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I noticed you are using Shunyata power conditioning in both systems. I have been advised to use MIT power conditioning, not Shunyata. Specifically, I've been told that Shunyata WILL NOT work with Spectral equipment. Obviously, I was misled. Have you compared the MIT to Shunyata power conditioning, and if so, results?
Thanks,
B

Like Rob said, do try the Shunyata regardless of what the dealers say - I find their power products superior to MIT. See also http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2659-Spectral-Shunyata

audioquad

Oct 29, 2013
Hello

I currently have Spectral 360 Series Ii amps and 30SS 2 with MIT AC-2 power cords into dedicated 20 amp lines. In your opinion, do you think the Shunyata Cobra cords would be better?

Thanks

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Hello

I currently have Spectral 360 Series Ii amps and 30SS 2 with MIT AC-2 power cords into dedicated 20 amp lines. In your opinion, do you think the Shunyata Cobra cords would be better?

Thanks

I would suggest that you find a Shunyata dealer who is willing to lend you a pair of Alpha HC and an Alpha power cablecs. These were designed specifically for the power supplies of power amps and preamps respectively. They were just released and should outperform the Cobras at basically the same price. Listen for yourself in your system with your music. This is the only way you will know what is best for you. Happy listening!

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Hello

Thanks

If I may give you my opinion, test Elrod Gold or Silver power cords, best with Spectral Pre.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I just received my Oracle HD 90 Rev 2 speaker wires, biwired with banana's for my Vivid G3's. They replace the MIT SL Matrix 90 biwired with banana's which replaced Matrix HD 60's with spades and jumpers which ended up blowing my Spectral amp when the I shifted a G3 to aim it and caused the spades to touch each other in the very tight space under the Vivid's and because there was not enough clearance for the spades with the feet or spikes on the Vivid's.

The first thing I can say about the Oracle HD 90's Rev 2 is that there is no doubt that they are much more like the HD 60's than the SL Matrix 90's, which is exactly why I bought them, or more correctly why I had to get the SL Matrix 90's out of my system because for my system they were plain and simple wrong. They did not sound real, although they were quite articulate. There was nothing that made me want to just sit a listen to music.

Before you throw stones at me for commenting on new MIT speaker wire with less than 2 hours of break-in time, let me also say that my entire system was also down and disconnected until 90 minutes ago because I was concerned about flooding from Jonas 2 weeks ago. This should make what I am listening to as I write this sound that much worse, yet it is still much more enjoyable than my fully stabilized SL Matrix 90 system. I can't wait to hear what things sound like in several weeks when everything has settled in after I run the system 24/7 to help break in the HD 90's. Maybe by that time my Spectral DMC 30 SV will have arrived.

Having trashed the Sl Matrix 90's in my system, let me say that they might be great with a soft sounding speaker that needs a boost in articulation and imaging.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I think the SL series may pair better with fried chicken than audio equipment. To put it mildly.

terrykola

Feb 17, 2016
Hi guys, i am new in wbf,
I've just read this post and like a Spectral's owner i've found it very interesting.
My system revolves around a Spectral DMC-30ss, Spectral DMA-260 and Wilson Audio Sasha 1.
After reading your comments about MIT HD60 i decided to get myself a couple to replace my M3 and i was wondering what is their ideal mate.
I've seen you have used the Matrix 50 but i just heard that hd36 is actually the choice for HD60.
What do you think? It's Matrix 50 even better?

Thx a lot!

terrykola

Feb 17, 2016
I've just read this post and like a Spectral's owner i've found it very interesting.
My system revolves around a Spectral DMC-30ss, Spectral DMA-260 and Wilson Audio Sasha 1.
After reading your comments about MIT HD60 i decided to get myself a couple to replace my M3 and i was wondering what is their ideal mate.
I've seen you have used the Matrix 50 but i just heard that hd36 is actually the choice for HD60.

Thx a lot!
Can anybody help me?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The matrix 50 should be a better pairing than the HD 36. I am considering the matrix 50 myself.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Can anybody help me?
I had 15 feet of Matrix 50 RCA set at low impedance from SS15 into 260 plus Hd90Rev 1 for speaker cables. Sublime. Although I've heard many times you need XLR for longer runs, there was absolutely no noise coming out of my Magico tweeters when connected. You will enjoy IMHO

Last edited:

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014

Thx a lot!

Oracle Matrix 50 interconnect and Matrix HD60 speaker cable is the combination I'm using, as recommended by MIT upon inquiry - can't "overdose" on the quality of the IC, as it's at/closer to the source (what the good people at MIT call "the chain of custody").

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing