ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Hi Ack,

Did you get a chance to listen to the HD50 interconnect with the 770 speaker cable after break in? Did you feel it still needed the HD speaker cable for a neutral presentation? I'm considering the HD50 with my current 770 II speaker cables.

Thanks,
Dan

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Ack,

Did you get a chance to listen to the HD50 interconnect with the 770 speaker cable after break in? Did you feel it still needed the HD speaker cable for a neutral presentation? I'm considering the HD50 with my current 770 II speaker cables.

Thanks,
Dan

I did not. The improvement with the Matrix speaker cables was so dramatic and wanted to complete the evaluation w/o losing much time. And I still think these cables should be used as complementary pairs.

pete

Feb 5, 2013
I am planning to upgrade my pre-amp from Hovland HP-100 to Spectral DMC30SS - S2 in a few month, waiting for my year end bonus for the time being ! Eventually I will get the Spectral DMA-260 as well to push my Wilson Audio Sophia 3. Don't think I can spend too much on interconnect and speaker cables. Inquired my local dealer and they are still selling and suggesting the old MIT/Spectral cable like 330 and 750 or something like that. I just need something below 10K for both interconnect and speaker cables and not to worry about upgrading that in the near future and spend more time and money on music. Any suggestions ? I never used MIT cables before so I have no clue. Thanks.

The old 330s are junk. You want 350 reference i/c's minimum, preferably 350 EVO.
Without quality ic's you can not hear Spectral quality.
The 750 series 2 speaker cable is barely adequate, go to the 770 series 2.
They are cheap used. Audiogon. Be patient, they come up.

FredTam

Oct 17, 2012
The old 330s are junk. You want 350 reference i/c's minimum, preferably 350 EVO.
Without quality ic's you can not hear Spectral quality.
The 750 series 2 speaker cable is barely adequate, go to the 770 series 2.
They are cheap used. Audiogon. Be patient, they come up.

Thanks for your advice Pete.
I am actually planning to get the DMC-30SS in March when I will be back from my business trip in Asia. If possible, will use Crystal Standard IC I am using with Modwright KWA-100SE until I have enough money to get the DMA-260 together with Spectral / MIT IC and speaker cables. I was told by my dealer there will be new cable announcement soon from Spectral. I guess I should wait then, don't you agree or if there is any MIT IC I should try but not want to spend more than 5K for that. Thank you.

pete

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for your advice Pete.
I am actually planning to get the DMC-30SS in March when I will be back from my business trip in Asia. If possible, will use Crystal Standard IC I am using with Modwright KWA-100SE until I have enough money to get the DMA-260 together with Spectral / MIT IC and speaker cables. I was told by my dealer there will be new cable announcement soon from Spectral. I guess I should wait then, don't you agree or if there is any MIT IC I should try but not want to spend more than 5K for that. Thank you.
I suggest it is not necessary to wait for Spectral. MIT has excellent cables on the used market that will provide better sound for your money.
I suggest you go to Audiogon website and search under MIT. You will find ads by Joe Abrams. He is a licensed seller for MIT and is probably the most knowledgeable person you can talk to. Tell him a happy customer Pete from British Columbia Canada referred you. You can buy from him with absolute confidence.
I remain open for questions. Best regards.

FredTam

Oct 17, 2012
I suggest it is not necessary to wait for Spectral. MIT has excellent cables on the used market that will provide better sound for your money.
I suggest you go to Audiogon website and search under MIT. You will find ads by Joe Abrams. He is a licensed seller for MIT and is probably the most knowledgeable person you can talk to. Tell him a happy customer Pete from British Columbia Canada referred you. You can buy from him with absolute confidence.
I remain open for questions. Best regards.

Thanks Pete.
will look into that.
As I am not going to get the DMA-260 now, will have some time.
Will try to use my Crystal Standard IC and if it's not good, may jump start with MIT IC then.

audiosessions

Dec 29, 2010
Chatsworth California
Spectral Ultrlinear Series III Bulletin 0313

The New Spectral Cables are on the Website now.
UL-38 HD Ultra III SPK
UL-230 Ultra III INT

Reference Series

UL-60 HD Ultra III SPK
UL-350 Ultra III INT

audiosessions

Dec 29, 2010
Chatsworth California
The New Spectral Cables are on the Website now.
UL-38 HD Ultra III SPK
UL-230 Ultra III INT

Reference Series

UL-60 HD Ultra III SPK
UL-350 Ultra III INT

I just sold my Mit Oracle V1.1 Ultra Wide SPK & V1.1 RCA INT.

Looking into used Oracle MA SPK & MA-X RCA INT.
Min option, Spectral 770 UL 2, 8FT, 350 UL 2, 1.0M & 1.5 M PR RCA.

Spectral owners looking to upgrade to the new UL 3 and sell there UL 2 Let me know.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Thanks for the update. I read through the bulletin and they sure make them sound good. A question I have and will probably never know the real answer to is are these rebadged Matrix cables that have been fixed at Spectral's impedance? Kinda think so. I do like the fact that they have not used any of these SD/HD switch cables, they chose the level right below (60 vs 90). That whole concept just confuses me.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Just a partial solution on the cost concern expressed in post #32, one can save one or two thousand dollars by ordering customized max rev 2 interconnects that do not come with the impedance switch. Just inform MIT which preamp and power amp you will be using.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The new spectral cables are out -- check out the bulletin

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Has there ever been a review of Spectral cables?
How do they sound compared to their MIT equivalent types?

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
Hello,
This is a interesting developement from Spectral. Two product lines and four new products. One line referred to as the Foundation and the other Reference, and I realize they just came out with this bulletin on the 13th, but most of the discussions on the subject of interfaces with respects to IC's and speaker cables seems to be on embracing of the upper tier of products from MIT. Not that all persons want too, or can afford to do so. But that magical line that seems to exist in the hearts and minds/ears of those who have many years of listening experience know the difference between good cables and the truly outstanding performances I keep reading about on this forum with regard to Spectral products seem to be under the control of the artistry that exist in the house of MIT.

The MAX-rev 1 I.C. and those $25-40k SHD speaker cables, how can Spectral with a straight face recommend the above when the ticket to this show can only truly be experienced by those who have means to lay down a considerable amount of money for the chance just to listen to whats possible within their own rigs. I remember MylesBAstor saying something to the effect of: "if you can't afford to buy it, then don't listen". But is this new offering of cables really the answer for those who can't afford to step up into the stratosphere? One other thing, I don't actually have any idea what Spectral's people really use to evaluate the effectiveness of their own designs, but it seems to me with the resources they can bring to bear on such a subject, I just can't believe that the old UL350's II and UL770's II were their choice to make critical listening decisions and all of this with the first wave of DMA-400's making their way to there new owners. Spectral's operation is just way too maticulous for such a lackadaisical recommendation. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I keep reading about on this forum with regard to Spectral products seem to be under the control of the artistry that exist in the house of MIT.

The MAX-rev 1 I.C. and those $25-40k SHD speaker cables, how can Spectral with a straight face recommend the above when the ticket to this show can only truly be experienced by those who have means to lay down a considerable amount of money for the chance just to listen to whats possible within their own rigs. I remember mullard88 saying something to the effect of: "if you can't afford to buy it, then don't listen". But is this new offering of cables really the answer for those who can't afford to step up into the stratosphere? One other thing, I don't actually have any idea what Spectral's people really use to evaluate the effectiveness of their own designs, but it seems to me with the resources they can bring to bear on such a subject, I just can't believe that the old UL350's II and UL770's II were their choice to make critical listening decisions and all of this with the first wave of DMA-400's making their way to there new owners. Spectral's operation is just way too maticulous for such a lackadaisical recommendation. What do you guys think?

MITs newest ICs, the MAX-SHD, just being introduced and not yet on their website, have a price tag of $22,349 for 1.5M!!
Previous generation MAX-Rev.2 are $13,199.00 per 1.5M. Great cables, best I've ever heard but seems to go against the Spectral mantra of Reference at a reasonable price.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hello,
This is a interesting developement from Spectral. Two product lines and four new products. One line referred to as the Foundation and the other Reference, and I realize they just came out with this bulletin on the 13th, but most of the discussions on the subject of interfaces with respects to IC's and speaker cables seems to be on embracing of the upper tier of products from MIT. Not that all persons want too, or can afford to do so. But that magical line that seems to exist in the hearts and minds/ears of those who have many years of listening experience know the difference between good cables and the truly outstanding performances I keep reading about on this forum with regard to Spectral products seem to be under the control of the artistry that exist in the house of MIT.

The MAX-rev 1 I.C. and those $25-40k SHD speaker cables, how can Spectral with a straight face recommend the above when the ticket to this show can only truly be experienced by those who have means to lay down a considerable amount of money for the chance just to listen to whats possible within their own rigs. I remember mullard88 saying something to the effect of: "if you can't afford to buy it, then don't listen". But is this new offering of cables really the answer for those who can't afford to step up into the stratosphere? One other thing, I don't actually have any idea what Spectral's people really use to evaluate the effectiveness of their own designs, but it seems to me with the resources they can bring to bear on such a subject, I just can't believe that the old UL350's II and UL770's II were their choice to make critical listening decisions and all of this with the first wave of DMA-400's making their way to there new owners. Spectral's operation is just way too maticulous for such a lackadaisical recommendation. What do you guys think?

First of all, I didn't see them recommending the top-tier SHD cables - where did you see that? Even if they did, price is not a concern when it comes to performance recommendations; dealing with MIT's offensive pricing is up to the potential buyer to negotiate (it has been posted here before that the street price of MIT products is 50% off retail for new cables). Second, I and others feel MIT has been able to provide a better interface, and that unlocks the electronics' potential, which is apparently really high; others may not hear the same benefits with their electronics. Third, the question re: the older cables is valid, but performance improves all around by the day, and I doubt they only used those cables for evaluation; in fact, rumor has it they only existed for non-MIT dealers to be able to sell the requisite cables with Spectral gear, plus I assume they had to recommend something at a sensible price point. So there are a number of parameters to consider. Recommendations aside, one should really take a listen up and down the MIT line to find what they deem is a good match.

Having said that, I might as well throw this out there too... another user here on the forum emailed me that one of his friends evaluating the Matrix 90.1 thinks this "HD" setting is playing games with phase. That sent him and me spinning - I had not yet A/B'd between SD and HD with my 90.1's, so this was a good incentive. While he likes either setting depending on the material, I outright find HD problematic and have permanently switched to SD. There are a couple of reasons that made me do it:

1. First of all, my midrange was always a bit glassy since I bought the cables and I was about to actually replace my panels, thinking they are going after 10+ years - but the glassiness is gone in SD. The glassiness depends on the material, but was very evident with soprano and especially tenor vocal. One might argue the cables actually excited regions in the panels, but why now, after the new cables came in.
  2. Second, I played electronic music, and since I am able to sit behind the panel and rapidly change the switch, I could easily hear what HD does, and it sounds phasey to me.
  3. Third, on another thread some time ago discussing the MIT patents, my impression of them and their white papers is that the so-called "articulation poles" attempt to fix inherent voltage/current phase relationships, which are known to be exactly right (-90 degrees) at exactly one frequency (this is physics). But as you put a "pole" to fix some frequency that inevitably affects others, says me; you then put another "pole" but that affects the first "pole" as well, so you modify both; and so on, until you have a balanced and optimized circuit. Consequently, when HD kicks in with allegedly more (F.A.T.) "poles", as MIT claims, they would end up affecting the other, SD, "poles", unless one believes there are two separate optimized circuits in the boxes, and I seriously doubt that; but possible.
  4. I had noticed in numerous dealer auditions that they play their MIT cables - anything from the lower end to the very top - at "SD" all the time; and they are very astute listeners.
  5. I just don't buy that F.A.T. articulation thing... they claim inter-octave optimization, and I have no idea what that really means. If they are referring to the 12 semitones in an octave, well, for every instrument's octave(s) and semitones there are harmonics (and fundamentals) in there from other instruments. So totally confused about their claims.
  6. There has to be a point that an optimized network is too complex to continue or the compromises too big, cez me.

Feel free to poke holes anywhere... My point is that you one should be careful with MIT cable selection, that's all. I've been dead wrong before, as can be proven by my penchant for continuously expertly picking the wrong lottery numbers...

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
First of all, I didn't see them recommending the top-tier SHD cables - where did you see that? Even if they did, price is not a concern when it comes to performance recommendations; dealing with MIT's offensive pricing is up to the potential buyer to negotiate (it has been posted here before that the street price of MIT products is 50% off retail for new cables). Second, I and others feel MIT has been able to provide a better interface, and that unlocks the electronics' potential, which is apparently really high; others may not hear the same benefits with their electronics. Third, the question re: the older cables is valid, but performance improves all around by the day, and I doubt they only used those cables for evaluation; in fact, rumor has it they only existed for non-MIT dealers to be able to sell the requisite cables with Spectral gear, plus I assume they had to recommend something at a sensible price point. So there are a number of parameters to consider. Recommendations aside, one should really take a listen up and down the MIT line to find what they deem is a good match.

Having said that, I might as well throw this out there too... another user here on the forum emailed me that one of his friends evaluating the Matrix 90.1 thinks this "HD" setting is playing games with phase. That sent him and me spinning - I had not yet A/B'd between SD and HD with my 90.1's, so this was a good incentive. While he likes either setting depending on the material, I outright find HD problematic and have permanently switched to SD. There are a couple of reasons that made me do it:

1. First of all, my midrange was always a bit glassy since I bought the cables and I was about to actually replace my panels, thinking they are going after 10+ years - but the glassiness is gone in SD. The glassiness depends on the material, but was very evident with soprano and especially tenor vocal. One might argue the cables actually excited regions in the panels, but why now, after the new cables came in.
  2. Second, I played electronic music, and since I am able to sit behind the panel and rapidly change the switch, I could easily hear what HD does, and it sounds phasey to me.
  3. Third, on another thread some time ago discussing the MIT patents, my impression of them and their white papers is that the so-called "articulation poles" attempt to fix inherent voltage/current phase relationships, which are known to be exactly right (-90 degrees) at exactly one frequency (this is physics). But as you put a "pole" to fix some frequency that inevitably affects others, says me; you then put another "pole" but that affects the first "pole" as well, so you modify both; and so on, until you have a balanced and optimized circuit. Consequently, when HD kicks in with allegedly more (F.A.T.) "poles", as MIT claims, they would end up affecting the other, SD, "poles", unless one believes there are two separate optimized circuits in the boxes, and I seriously doubt that; but possible.
  4. I had noticed in numerous dealer auditions that they play their MIT cables - anything from the lower end to the very top - at "SD" all the time; and they are very astute listeners.
  5. I just don't buy that F.A.T. articulation thing... they claim inter-octave optimization, and I have no idea what that really means. If they are referring to the 12 semitones in an octave, well, for every instrument's octave(s) and semitones there are harmonics (and fundamentals) in there from other instruments. So totally confused about their claims.
  6. There has to be a point that an optimized network is too complex to continue or the compromises too big, cez me.

Feel free to poke holes anywhere... My point is that you one should be careful with MIT cable selection, that's all. I've been dead wrong before, as can be proven by my penchant for continuously expertly picking the wrong lottery numbers...

Interesting observations. I am not sure I agree regarding the phase thing. I have had MA-X SHD speaker cables in for 5 days so far, 24/7 burnin. Glassy midrange is something I have not experienced...at least so far. I plan to try the SD and HD settings once broken in. I am using SHD 155 poles now. The one thing I can say is that these cables transformed the sound coming out of my speakers. The dynamic slam, textured bass, tonal density, soundstaging, imaging and the oh so right timbre. They are incredible and should be for the price of admission. I am looking forward to them being fully broken in, 10 more days from now.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The dynamic slam, textured bass, tonal density, soundstaging, imaging and the oh so right timbre.

Yeap, all of these is what we have been touting for some time now, especially the last one...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing