i saw the 3D 'Double Lumis' demo at Definitive Audio's theatre event earlier tonight.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Indeed Mike
I will try to get out more ... :D .. but truely, it is difficult for me to accept your positionon High End prices ... facts and numbers speak for themselves ...We'll leave it at that ..
OT what's the MSRP on the MM3?

Frantz

the Evolution Acoustics MM3's MSRP is $45,000. when i compare it to my Kharma Exquisite 1D's at $75k in 2000 or even my Wilson WP6's at around $18k in 1998 the MM3's are a steal. the MM2's are $10k less.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For 70k you could go to the theater and watch a whole lot of movies, but....

I've yet to find a commercial theater that can match the PQ and AQ I get in my theater and....

I get to choose who I sit with. I am just incredibly unlucky. When I go to a commercial theater, the most obnoxious people in the the theater will always sit right near me. It's uncanny. In the final days of my commercial movie house going, I would sit down, wait until everyone was seated and then move to an empty seat far from where I originally sat -- and I could always hear the obnoxious people causing trouble near my original seats. However, that solution usually meant that I had to sit in undesirable seats.

The other night, I went to see Inception at the IMAX in SF. Since it was sold out, there was no chance to move and I was determined to get a good seat so my daughter and I got there an hour early. Damned if the woman sitting next to me didn't bother the crap out of me -- talking to her boyfriend all the way through, laughing uproariously at anything even remotely funny -- extending her arm full length to point at the screen to make sure her boyfriend didn't miss anything.

So, no matter how long I am absent from commercial theater going, the obnoxious audience member phenomenon follows me.

We came home to our theater and the sound was better, the picture much better, dialog much easier to understand and no annoying patrons.

Now, add to all of that the fact that I tend to watch a lot of classic films that are not commonly playing in the commercial movie theaters.....

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Having said all of that, I finally broke down and saw Toy Story 3 in 3d. I enjoyed the movie, but I'm still not sold on 3d. Interestingly, the other night, the family was debating whether to go to a commercial theater to see something and I commented that I would go see something I can't get in my theater, which is why I was convinced to go to IMAX, so I suggested we go to see Despicable Me in 3d. The rest of my family had no interest in 3d! So, I suggested we wait 'til it comes out on blu-ray and see it in our theater and all agreed, so we went out for a leisurely dinner instead then came home and watched The Hangover in our theater.

I thought surely there'd be some interest in 3d from the rest of the family.

Nope.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing