Platter mat preferences!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The mat on my Nottingham is made from a high-density foam, my 2 Revolver TT's use a felt mat and an old, old, old Pioneer uses a rubber one. Each of these mats react differently due to their composition, and I was wondering what some of the advantages/disadvantages are/were between the various options. Since not all platters are the same I would assume that foam may work well on one, but not necessarily on another and so on.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You already know there is no generalization. I am able to tap my records to determine a decent degree of feedback resonance across the surface.

Every player will have a different solution. Experimentation is mandatory.

Start with inexpensive felt and/or leather mats ($30 on ebay), that may be as far as you need to go. 1.5 to 2mm leather seems to be a popular mat solution.

Reactions: Petrat

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Millennium, carbon side up for me.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have an Audioquest SorboGel mat on my old Dual belt turntable which dramatically increases the sound stage size and depth.

I removed the felt mat over the original rubber mat on my DD Technics for better sound. The VTA was off as a result, so I used the old Dual rubber mat on top of the rubber Technics mat and it worked better than expected.

I'm interested in hearing if any brass or copper platters from the likes of Micro Seiki and others see an improvement if anything rubbery (or leathery) is placed on them. The idea of placing a record on bare metal is a little scary at first. However the direct coupling to a softer metal as a concept is very compelling to me.

Millennium, carbon side up for me.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-3239-millennium-carbon-fiber-record-mat.aspx
View attachment 8104
MILLENNIUM - CARBON FIBER RECORD MAT

Price: $349.00

that price seems a bit..............stiff.:p

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It came with the turntable so the price of the mat wasn't stiff. The price of the turntable was. LOL.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
I also experimented with Funk Firm mat and Acroplat and the performances of an old Rega2 was greatly improved over the rubber or felt mat!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
I imagine that if you polish an old record so t fit perfectly between the platter and your records it should work fine.
After all the idea is to have something compliant to let vibrations to escape the record you are playing!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
That's what I consider a good review/article, simply because it focuses on one specific turntable/mat(s) synergy, which is totally system dependent, and does not come to any absolute conclusion. With my specific 'table, a thin leather mat proved best, however ... the continuing refinement of that turntable soon changed my perception & criteria for using mats altogether, or more specifically, sans mat, and the pros & cons of coupling the LP direct to platter/turntable/environment.

tb1

edit ... removed the word "benefit" in place of "pros & cons".

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I wonder if I could just stack records like an old BSR record changer?
I wonder no more, and why it took me 7 years to do this experiment I will never know.

In an attempt to lower my noise floor and grunge on my temporary pie rack audio stand with hunk of maple butcher block on brass and copper fittings under my turntable on MDF shelves, tried several different platter mats.

I have three old turntables, all different weights and rubber design patterns and floppiness qualities.

Plus a felt one that came with one of the tables.

Second favorite was the original Dual rubber mat UPSIDE DOWN.

Favorite, and I'm so sold on it, no competition at all, I took two old records and stacked them on the aluminum platter, then placed the playing record on top -Wow!

Bottom most record is from 1959 "Victory at Sea", stacked on top is a different Victory at Sea reissue from 1976 RCA Victor "Red Seal".

Chosen at random, never even played these LP's bought them for the artwork.

My old Dual is not a Brinkmann Balance suddenly, but I am beyond delighted with the results.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ack is using Isodamp, I believe.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I know nothing about turntable mats as I have been using a Goldmund Studio for 30 years. But I've collected potential mats to use in a file should the day come I might wish to explore this area. One that intrigues me is the mat made by Kazutoshi Yamada at Zanden Audio called the TPM-1.
http://www.zandenaudio.com/product/TPM-1.php
I have never heard it and never owned one. But after living with Yamada-san's phono stage, the 1200 MkIII, I think I know enough about his ears that I would be quick to explore this if I found myself seeking the potential benefits of a new mat.

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I get all the bounce or spring I care to hear out of the drive belt, don't want nor need any more.

And don't want anything to suck the life out of the music or artificially expand the soundstage at the expense of something else.

However, I am still curious and would love to tinker with the products mentioned.

Maybe I will sandwich a thin layer of something in between the two old LP's as an experiment, or try a bonding layer to the aluminum platter.

I still have to get out my caliper and measure the old and new thicknesses. This is where possible fillers may come into play.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
One that intrigues me is the mat made by Kazutoshi Yamada at Zanden Audio called the TPM-1.
http://www.zandenaudio.com/product/TPM-1.php

This, or a variant of it, is the same as the TW Acoustic turntable mat. I found music with it sounded just a little bit strange and a touch overly damped on my TW Acustic Anniversary with Lyra Etna and Triplanar VII.

What I did end up liking very much was a Spec Audio AP-UD1 which was reviewed by both Jeff Day (Jeff's Place) and Part-time Audiophile. The construction is unique - a coated aluminum plate. Texture and tone are terrific. It was $300. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: marty

TLi

May 27, 2016
I have made several titanium platter mats for my friends. The mat is 5mm thick and is suitable for most turntables. It changes the sound dramatically.

The sound is dynamic and lively. Of course, some people like it very much while some doesn't, personal preference. At least, it is good to know such thing exists and is available. IMG-20170217-WA0007.jpg IMG-20170217-WA0016.jpg IMG-20170217-WA0013.jpg

Reactions: Johan K and tima

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I
Favorite, and I'm so sold on it, no competition at all, I took two old records and stacked them on the aluminum platter, then placed the playing record on top -Wow!

Mine is a similar approach with an acrylic mat with label relief from Hudson Hi-Fi. I tried most options and this one brought my deck to life.

https://www.hudsonhifi.com/collections/high-fidelity

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing