MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Liked it?

Well it's coming back after RMAF. :)

Hugs the grooves like a Ferrari, amazing low end and upper octaves. Very transparent. And this isn't even the best in the new line.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, IF any cartridge doesn't 'hug the grooves like a Ferrari' really what good is it?

Davey,

Because, all things being equal, no two cartridges exhibit the same tracking ability.

And certainly we can make a list of those cartridges, mistracking of old, old cartridges aside, that manage to sound good despite their not being the last word in tracking.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Myles, I am not aware of any cartridges that sound good, BUT cannot track well. IMHO, any cartridge that cannot track almost all LP's that you are likely to throw at it, has no value to me. Particularly in this day and age.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, I am not aware of any cartridges that sound good, BUT cannot track well. IMHO, any cartridge that cannot track almost all LP's that you are likely to throw at it, has no value to me. Particularly in this day and age.

Davey you're playing semantics here. A certain degree/minimal value for tracking is required for a cartridge to sound good; even among the best cartridges, no two track the same. Then there's the few cartridges whose tracking ability stands out. (and we're leaving out the tonearm contribution.) Perhaps it is that the Ikeda really locks into the VPI arm. Perhaps it's the best cartridge's tracking ability that allows them to rise above the rest.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey you're playing semantics here. A certain degree/minimal value for tracking is required for a cartridge to sound good; even among the best cartridges, no two track the same. Then there's the few cartridges whose tracking ability stands out. (and we're leaving out the tonearm contribution.) Perhaps it is that the Ikeda really locks into the VPI arm. Perhaps it's the best cartridge's tracking ability that allows them to rise above the rest.

Myles, semantics aside, I really do think that in this day and age, any cartridge should be able to track ( and track well) anything that you are likely to throw at it.
The fact that no two track the same, isn't IMO a good sign. IMHO IF one is paying multiple of thousands of dollars for any cartridge, job one should be that the cartridge exhibits no tracking issues whatsoever, BUT again that's just IMHO.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, semantics aside, I really do think that in this day and age, any cartridge should be able to track ( and track well) anything that you are likely to throw at it.
The fact that no two track the same, isn't IMO a good sign. IMHO IF one is paying multiple of thousands of dollars for any cartridge, job one should be that the cartridge exhibits no tracking issues whatsoever, BUT again that's just IMHO.

Davey all the top cartridges, given the properly matched tonearm, basically track well; this one appears a step above the norm, that's all.

Would you reject a cartridge because it only tracked to band four of the Shure Obstacle test and the Shure tracked to band five?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey all the top cartridges, given the properly matched tonearm, basically track well; this one appears a step above the norm, that's all.

Would you reject a cartridge because it only tracked to band four of the Shure Obstacle test and the Shure tracked to band five?

Actually, I would. What are the odds that the cartridge that could track to band five would sound worse than the one that could track to band four and fail at band five? IMO, any cartridge that holds itself out as SOTA must be able to track without distortion.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Actually, I would. What are the odds that the cartridge that could track to band five would sound worse than the one that could track to band four and fail at band five? IMO, any cartridge that holds itself out as SOTA must be able to track without distortion.

So are you using a Shure V15 cartridge Davey? If not, you need to be because nothing else will track like it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So are you using a Shure V15 cartridge Davey? If not, you need to be because nothing else will track like it.

Exactly.

I wouldn't own one.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Actually the Shure 44-7 tracks better than the V15 but sounds worse.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have never heard of the 44-7. There you go Davey.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yup, I've seen these things track while the turntable itself was being lifted and danced with, with record upon record stacked and insane scratching. Played normally, it sounds awful. Scratching sounds awful anyway so I figure that's ok. LOL.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If you guys want an expensive cartridge that tracks poorly and sounds great, then good luck to you.

What cart is that ? I have never had a bad tracking mc cart...in fact I think carts take too much of the blame for tracking issues. Precise cart setup and tonearm choice are more important, IMO.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm kinda curious how we've gone from a cartridge tracking above the norm to mistracking?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing