Proof that cables Do make a difference

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hey Amir,

You said 20 ohm load, then a trial with 600 ohm source? Did you mean source in both cases? What was the load impedance?

As I think I have said elsewhere, my previous history with cables is that the difference among interconnects is very dependent upon the source and load impedances. Mostly the source, since the loads tend to be uniformly high (10k ohms and up for single-ended inputs), but some inputs (loads) exhibit fairly high capacitance (tubes in particular due to Miller effect acting upon unbuffered inputs). The result can be attenuation and phase shift in the audio bands. Interestingly, some of the combinations that produced lower bandwidth (i.e. rolling off the high end) were preferred in tests. Based on that, I do think interconnects can make a difference, and completely agree with you that one has to look at the whole system (source, cable, load). I tend to look at standard wires and get what works vs. going to highend cables, but that's just me.

Except for extremes, I have found little if any differences in speaker cables (measured or heard) once you have enough wire to do the job. I got into a big argument eons ago about the requirement for ultrawideband (>1 MHz) speaker cables; my contention was that the speakers would at best filter out, or worse convert to heat in the tweeter, any such wideband signals anyway. Never could sway the gent. There are tweeters around with response approaching 100 kHz and above, but my ears don't go so high.

Engineers with ears, scary... ;) - Don

MIT and Transparent actually match load/source impedances with their ICs, digital and speaker cables. It does make a difference. I also think that's in part (plus balanced) why in studios cables have less of an effect on the sound since they usually run balanced runs and 600 ohms.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hmmm... I have not looked into any of their cables beyond a glance at the websites so please take my comments as general in nature.

1. With wideband signals, like digital links, matching makes sense for a variety of reasons.

2. Matching audio interconnect cables to the source and load will optimize the frequency response, phase integrity, etc. Given audio frequencies and impedances, I would expect the threshold of audibility to vary widely with the source, cable, and load impedance. Offering a variety of terminations either tailored to the equipment and/or providing a kit to the user to tweak his (or her) own equipment to his (her, its, whatever) taste could be useful. This will not neccessarily provide the "best" response from a measurement (or series of measurements), but rather the sound the user wants to hear. And, that's ok! I have seen that many, many times.

3. Speakers strike me as a much more difficult problem in matching. A speaker's input impedance and output response (amplitude and phase) vary widely over the audio band (and beyond), and is nonlinear with frequency and power, so the matching network would have to be more complex, and integrating the matching network into the system would be difficult without adding loss and having other effects (e.g. reducing damping, etc.) A company a long time ago (Mogami) targeted 8-ohm impedance for speaker cables; the result was very mixed simply because speakers' impedances vary and transmission line theory does not apply at typical audio frequencies and lcable lengths.

4. I would agree that the combination of balanced I/O and low impedances in pro gear makes it less sensitive to cables in general. Somewhat offset by the long lines often required...

All my opinions, my 0.000001 cent, usual disclaimers apply - Don

Reactions: dandylinpsst

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
@ Don50

You're homing in on a few of the myriad nightmares that knowledgable cable designers deal with on a routine basis. There's a huge amount going on, and it's all negative in terms of making beautiful music emerge from complicated transducers. The phase and impedance graphs of speaker drivers and crossovers are rather nasty, to put it mildly.

Longer lengths, especially of speaker cable, simply accumulate whatever problems a cable has, and they all degrade things to some degree. 4 ft lengths are definitely better than 8 ft or longer, in the case of several popular designs. Line level runs for reasons discussed earlier are more tolerant.

So come over to my house or visit your local friendly high-end dealer to hear how differently all these cables sound, and then start working back to the engineering behind them, as you've already started to do.

@ FrantzM... the speaker cables are complicated filters, and definitely do bad things to high-slew-rate audio signals. The discussion about impedance matching revolves around just one of the many issues that cables have to deal with. The physical, passive and active electrical charcteristics of real cables all do bad things to waveforms, that's for sure. And then there's the grain of the metallic conductors. It goes on and on, but the experienced guys in the field have 30 years plus of refining the technology, and they have very good ears in some cases, others not.

It's just like some people think, oh, it's just a digital waveform, therefore it's perfect, just like the abstract concept of a binary bit. Oh, cables are made out of wire, wires are simple things, and anyway, the lights turn on, what's the problem?

In reality, a digital bit in a real circuit is a complicated mess. Once one starts to dive into the subject matter, cabling is just as complicated, and harder to work with in many ways. Interesting science and engineering issues abound.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

In interconnects, one is often dealing with gear with vastly varying input impedance. Some preamps have rather high output impedance (mostly tubes) and may have some problems with a low input impedance amplifier ... In Pro Gear one knows that for the most part if it is balanced it is most likely 600 Ohms. In High End Audio Gear all across the board at least as quoted by the manufacturers from 600 Ohms to over 100 K Ohms for some tube amplifiers. By the way a high impedance is NOT a problem for the preamp or Line Stage ... a low impedance can be ...
So true the interconnect could, maybe , just maybe make some difference several order of magnitudes smaller than what different speakers could bring ... Gross impedance mismatches are audible and repeatably so ... knowledge removed

Now for speaker cables ..............

@Nicholas again (Sorry Don)

Just saw your reply ... Let's not invoke the matter of special hearing characteristics here, please ... I need to see proof that the "grain" of the metal in speaker cable has an effect on the signal ..Now in digital and at very high sampling rates there are cases where one could invoke transmission Line Theory .. but on speaker cable and even in Digital Audio .. really not necessary ...

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
@ Don50

You're homing in on a few of the myriad nightmares that knowledgable cable designers deal with on a routine basis. There's a huge amount going on, and it's all negative in terms of making beautiful music emerge from complicated transducers. The phase and impedance graphs of speaker drivers and crossovers are rather nasty, to put it mildly.

Longer lengths, especially of speaker cable, simply accumulate whatever problems a cable has, and they all degrade things to some degree. 4 ft lengths are definitely better than 8 ft or longer, in the case of several popular designs. Line level runs for reasons discussed earlier are more tolerant.

So come over to my house or visit your local friendly high-end dealer to hear how differently all these cables sound, and then start working back to the engineering behind them, as you've already started to do.

@ FrantzM... the speaker cables are complicated filters, and definitely do bad things to high-slew-rate audio signals. The discussion about impedance matching revolves around just one of the many issues that cables have to deal with. The physical, passive and active electrical charcteristics of real cables all do bad things to waveforms, that's for sure. And then there's the grain of the metallic conductors. It goes on and on, but the experienced guys in the field have 30 years plus of refining the technology, and they have very good ears in some cases, others not.

It's just like some people think, oh, it's just a digital waveform, therefore it's perfect, just like the abstract concept of a binary bit. Oh, cables are made out of wire, wires are simple things, and anyway, the lights turn on, what's the problem?

In reality, a digital bit in a real circuit is a complicated mess. Once one starts to dive into the subject matter, cabling is just as complicated, and harder to work with in many ways. Interesting science and engineering issues abound.

Speaker cable length is far from a open and shut case. Every cable designer has their own opinion-just talk to Ray Kimber or George Cardas about the subject sometime. As a matter of fact, MIT and Transparent cables are optimized for 8 ft and don't sell lesser lengths.

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
@Nicholas: I actually did a ton of testing and listening in my youth, have not done such any time recently (or very minor). I long ago reconciled, at least to myself, the issues involved. My engineering background makes me a skeptic suspicious of hype and marketing claims; the Missouri breeding makes me go "show me!" whenever I read what seems to be an outlandish claim. My wife has made comments about a bit of Missouri mule in me, but she's kidding, right dear? Yes, dear. Never mind. What I have not done much of is to evaluate the latest crop of cables and claims -- I'm OK with what I have, and any extra funds go into college funds for my boys and the odd bit or two into our retirement fund (hoping I can retire before Noah but I doubt it...)

@Frantz: I am sorry, did I say something I shouldn't? My apologies if so. Feel free to edit or delete my post (or I shall). I have in the past measured significant in-band roll-off from badly mismatched systems, e.g below 10 kHz in a tube system with long, high-capacitance (and not cheap!) interconnects.

In the spirit of music - Don

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Myles

I will repeat that cables like everything else in Audio are bound by the laws of Physics... In Transmission Lines when the wavelenght involved are in the order of the length of the cable itse , length has an incidence on several parameters.. Considering one of these Rise Time the difference between a 8 feeT tand 15 feet is incommensurably small ... IOW they can't matter, they don't matter...

I respect knowledge but if someone claims special knowledge it should be provable ... I would like to see the paper where any of the persons you mentioned irrefutably prove it. I would like to see them correlate some of their measurementse with audibility .. Now if they prefer to use special lengths .. Fine ...as long as their customers wants to take their words for it or/and buy their products .. If they claim it however as a physical phenomenon they must be ready to prove not "tell" me and expect me to believe them.

I will add that nowhere in Audio than in Cables have I seen the laws of physics painted with marketing make-up .. some would have used the synonyms of "Bovine manure" ...

I am way past that ... I am not a flat earther , I don't subscribe to the notion that everything sounds the same but on the cable issue most here by now know where I stand ... and believe me, this process to leave cables behind was humbling ...and eye-opening ...

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
DonH50

The reply wasn't toward you ... Not ap roblem .. Cables can indeed measure different there is such a thing as inadequate cables.. There was a fad (right? :) in Audiophile circles where theyuse small gauge silver wire for "clarity or small gauge copper wire for "sweetness" .. So there are bad cables no doubt ..

Reactions: dandylinpsst

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
@ Frantz... With respect to being lost, seek and ye shall find out, a lot.

Get together with a cooperative friend or dealer and listen to a couple of pairs of well-used speaker cables from the same vendor. Once you're clear on how the products differ in their sound, then start investigating how it could be. Generally the designers are more than willing to explain all the details.

Regarding zip cord, I wonder if those using it get the speaker polarity set correctly :).

Anyway, given the easily audible and identifiable differences between the designs of various cable manufacturers, and between the products in their lineup, if two cables that sound quite differently have the same measured value when looking at a particular electrical parameter, obviously that's not the right one to be measuring. That's like to old medical school joke about the patient expired, but his electrolyte balance was perfect.

My baseline for high-quality cabling, for speakers, would be around $2K for a set of single bi-wire, 4ft pairs. Not $10K. Extremely high quality is around $6-7K, for the products I'm familiar with. And of course one could spend way more, but what's available for $2K-$7K is excellent.

He has owned Valhalla and done his comparisons---so he is well aware of what super high end stuff is.

Let's put a scenario together Nicholas---you would rather have Sophias + 8k in cables vs. Sashas and blue jeans cables? I have 10k speakers, so I'm in your zone here.

I will be doing cables testing this weekend and have some new speaker cable for a few weeks. i am going to do single blind comparisons, and am happy to report back. in the other thread, i mentioned that pro audio balanced cables sounded identical to 300/m single ended interconnects fed to my McIntosh. i am letting the ICs "break in" this week and will run the same test this weekend.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles

I will repeat that cables like everything else in Audio are bound by the laws of Physics... In Transmission Lines when the wavelenght involved are in the order of the length of the cable itse , length has an incidence on several parameters.. Considering one of these Rise Time the difference between a 8 fee tand 15 feet is incommensurably small ... IOW they can't matter, they don't matter...

I respect knowledge butt if someone claims special knowledge it should be provable ... I would like to see the paper where any of the persons you mentioned irrefutably prove it. I would like to see them correlate some of their measurementse with audibility .. Now if they prefer to use special lengths .. Fine ...as long as their customers wants to take their words for it or/and buy their products .. If they claim it however as a physical phenomenon they must be ready to prove not "tell" me and expect me to believe them.

I will add that nowhere in Audio than in Cables have I seen the laws of physics painted with marketing make-up .. some would have used the synonyms of "Bovine manure" ...

I am way past that ... I am not a flat earther , I don't subscribe to the notion that everything sounds the same but on the cable issue most here by now know where I stand ... and believe me, this process to leave cables behind was humbling ...and eye-opening ...

To a certain extent and then materials come into play. Years ago had the opportunity to hear a series of four identical ICs save for the type of copper used as a conductor. All of the cables sounded different and the best of the lot at that time was the cable made with Australian sourced copper.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
To a certain extent and then materials come into play. Years ago had the opportunity to hear a series of four identical ICs save for the type of copper used as a conductor. All of the cables sounded different and the best of the lot at that time was the cable made with Australian sourced copper.

Myles

I will refrain from asking under what protocols the tests were run...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles

I will refrain from asking under what protocols the tests were run...

Actually the cables were numbered 1-4 and sent to five Beta testers at that time. All preferred the same cable (I don't remember the rankings of the other three). I've done the same blind testing procedure for capacitors (that differed in lead material, etc.)with Larry Smith, formerly designer of Perfectionist Audio components where he put them all in a box and could switch between the four different types of caps. Have also done the same blind testing for Chesky for CDs made out of Al or Ag and/or polycarbonate or Zeonex. Again, there was definitely a preferred CD among all the Beta testers.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I thought Hitachi was the best source for OFC.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
@ Everyone... great discussion, especially now that we're all talking about listening experiences. And of course there's a subjective element involved, but (see below) one can also communicate the differences in how systems, cables, etc., sound in reasonably standardized ways. If I say the cable is very lean in the mid-bass, or mushy in the bass, or sharp in the treble regions, well, people will in general know what to expect.

@Keith R... excellent practical question that will help others...

Let's consider your real-world scenarios, involving raiding one's checkbook and living with the results. The Sophias with $7K cables will sound (my prediction) much better than Sashas with $2K or even worse, el cheapo cables. The Sashas will be throttled by the lesser, let alone the cheap, cables, that the deficiencies will tend to dominate what you hear.

Yes, the Sashas with cheaper cables will still have huge amounts of bass, but the subtleties across the spectrum won't be there, because they're not coming through the cabling. The speaker can't hallucinate stuff that isn't there, or compensate for smearing or distortion or coloration (This goes back to Myles comment to be sure not to forget the source. If it's not in the source...).

Keep in mind that as a reviewer, we get to try out everything, in all kinds of combinations, and I appreciate that most consumers don't have this luxury. On the other hand, years ago Alan Goodwin kindly let me borrow things over the weekend (meaning out Saturday night, back Tuesday morning) and I believe other high-end dealers will do the same.

My prediction is based upon the total transformation of my $1600 (used) Usher Be-718s (with the new DMD "diamond" tweeters installed) with the $7K cables that were purchased in anticipation of the Sashas. The results were tremendous. Applying the differences in reverse, so to speak, to the Sashas would be cruetly.

It's like going from 44 to 176 sampling rate, even more so.

@ DonH50... you think people from Missouri are skeptical? How about us New Englanders? And then there are the Quakers... Sure, there's a huge amount of marketing hype by all kinds of yappers trying to break in to the cabling, DAC, whatever, market, and that's fine. They have a right to earn a living. But this kind of vendor is not under consideration here, usually. We're talking about the established firms with decades of intellectual property, patents, and above all, listening experience.

@ Myles... the source of the conductors is usally a big secret, for obvious reasons... however, the incoming reels of bare wire are individually tested (at one company, perhaps others) for preferred directionality. And that's just the start. Their process is all about listening, listening, listening. Sure, they know a lot about engineering, too, but that's secondary.

The 4ft length was recommended by the manufacturer in this case, because the short length takes advantage of having monoblocks. I realize that other cable technologies are optimized for various lengths, such as the 10 ft Valhallas, but their topology, network, etc., is completely different from the ones I'm using right now.

@ FrantzM... one can become a skilled listener with a little effort (and it's going to be a lot of fun as well). No special knowledge, no invocation of the "laws of physics", just careful listening. That's what reviewers do. We're not paid to be fan boys; quite the reverse.

Get a first-hand understanding of the obvious differences in how cables sound, then work back to the electrical engineering that causes the differences. One really easy experiment is to take a 10 ft length on your favorite speaker cable, and then try a 20 ft length. What changes? the pile-up of colorations in the 20 ft length will bring to the fore the weaker (and perhaps harder to hear) colorations.

Trust your ears...

BTW are you aware that the laws of physics allow differentiation of 360 and 720 degree rotations? Pretty amazing, but the physical explanation turns out to be very simple. It's just not an everyday occurrence. First person with the correct explanation gets a special prize!

The far ranges of the laws of physics are pretty much alternate-universe material, and what they allow for is beyond the imagination of most mortal folk. So invoking LOP as a way of scoping down an argument to some kind of common sense perspective is probably the wrong way to go :) To me, "LOP" means the sky's not the limit; it's just the beginning. And it gets wilder from there.

If by LOP you mean, it would be nice to have a model in terms of commonly-measured parameters that explains why cables sound differently, that's fine, and quite reasonable. And you'll see that it gets very complicated, quickly. This is not high-school physics; it's more like graduate school, and there's a lot of materials sciences arcana in addition to the standard EE parameters.

Just start interviewing cable designers and they'll tell you a great deal (a) about how their stuff sounds the way it does and (2) in some cases, why the competitor's cable sounds the way it does, in comparison. Most of these guys are lifer cable designers, musicians and recording engineers (all at once, that is). They really know what they're doing and quite dedicated (not hype artists, for sure). And they talk about both strengths and weaknesses, which is a good sign.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
...The Sophias with $7K cables will sound (my prediction) much better than Sashas with $2K or even worse, el cheapo cables. The Sashas will be throttled by the lesser, let alone the cheap, cables, that the deficiencies will tend to dominate what you hear

...@ FrantzM... one can become a skilled listener with a little effort (and it's going to be a lot of fun as well). No special knowledge, no invocation of the "laws of physics

...Get a first-hand understanding of the obvious differences in how cables sound, then work back to the electrical engineering that causes the differences.

...The far ranges of the laws of physics are pretty much alternate-universe material, and what they allow for is beyond the imagination of most mortal folk. So invoking LOP as a way of scoping down an argument to some kind of common sense perspective is probably the wrong way to go :) To me, "LOP" means the sky's not the limit; it's just the beginning. And it gets wilder from there.

If by LOP you mean, it would be nice to have a model in terms of commonly-measured parameters that explains why cables sound differently, that's fine, and quite reasonable. And you'll see that it gets very complicated, quickly. This is not high-school physics; it's more like graduate school, and there's a lot of materials sciences arcana in addition to the standard EE parameters.

Why don't you take a real chance and 'splain it to us in scientifical terms? Clearly, we could all use a little edumacation. Being as this is the forum it is, try to put in your best effort.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
@ Smokester... you mean the part about the 720 degree rotation? No way! You guys have to find the answer. Clue: how many radians are there in 720 degrees? Remember, there's a prize :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
@ Smokester... you mean the part about the 720 degree rotation? No way! You guys have to find the answer. Clue: how many radians are there in 720 degrees? Remember, there's a prize :)

There's exactly 180/pi degrees in one radian. 1radian =57.3 degrees. 720/57.3= 12.57 rounded off. if thats wrong my face will be red. Boy am I paranoid.Could be a trick question because there are 720 degrees in two rotations.

Last edited:

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
It's like going from 44 to 176 sampling rate, even more so.

well, that does seem rather unequivocal. (heck, not that I know what going to 176 is!) But you seem to be saying 'unmistakable'.

@ Myles... the source of the conductors is usally a big secret, for obvious reasons... however, the incoming reels of bare wire are individually tested (at one company, perhaps others) for preferred directionality. And that's just the start. Their process is all about listening, listening, listening. Sure, they know a lot about engineering, too, but that's secondary.

That's interesting. Here is a story related by Kurt from BJC (I know, I know, a low price non boutique cable company)

For what it's worth...

I deal all the time with engineers who design cables for Belden. They've worked with me to put together our various custom products, including our bonded-pair HDMI, and we've had a lot of occasion to talk over the years as there's always one design project or another on the table and there are always ongoing questions, issues with production, et cetera. These guys are fond of pointing out to me that if they could actually make audio cables which had different signatures--deeper soundstage, richer bass, greater "musicality," and so on--they'd be very happy to make them, and very happy to charge extra for the sonic enrichment achieved thereby. Why don't they? Well, physics has a lot to do with that.

Belden does make a lot of private-label cable for a lot of boutique cable firms, though. Weird designs, all that. They've got a whole area of the engineering lab set aside for storage of high-value materials like solid silver wire that a lot of these boutique cables call for. Not only do the engineers who actually design wire and cable not believe in these sonic differences, but they have amusing anecdotes to tell about it.

There's an interesting story concerning a "directional" audio cable they made for one firm--it wasn't ordered in very large quantities, and they wound up simply making one run and stocking it so that it could be supplied when ordered. The customer didn't know that, however, and asked that, each time the cable was produced, he be sent a sample, with the ends labeled, just prior to jacket-lettering so that he could connectorize it and determine, through critical listening, which way the directional arrows should be printed. Belden always took these samples off of this same original run of cable, and kept records of how the ends had been labeled. The result? After a number of orders, the critical listening was exactly 50/50: half the time the cable sounded better in the one direction, and half in the other, exactly as one would expect if the "directionality" were as fictitious a property as the Belden engineers thought it was.

Does that prove that all these cable claims are bunk? Well, no, of course not. But it does say something about the psychology at work here. I guarantee that if anyone had an honest-to-gosh recipe for audio cable that imparted interesting and useful colorations to the sound, there would be a great deal of interest from wire and cable engineers. The first thing they'd want to know after verifying that the effect was real would be what its cause is--there's very little use in knowing that the effect exists while not knowing what it consists of, how to measure it, and how to consistently and accurately reproduce it. Once they knew what it was, and how to make it, they'd patent it, price it high, and produce it by the mile. If I thought I had such a recipe, I would get my patent application pending, and immediately try to license it to someone like that. No such luck, though...pesky physics...

Just start interviewing cable designers and they'll tell you a great deal (a) about how their stuff sounds the way it does and (2) in some cases, why the competitor's cable sounds the way it does, in comparison. Most of these guys are lifer cable designers, musicians and recording engineers (all at once, that is). They really know what they're doing and quite dedicated (not hype artists, for sure). And they talk about both strengths and weaknesses, which is a good sign.

Yes I am sure they would tell you all the reasons their wire sounds the way it does.

It's called marketing copy?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing