McIntosh MA2275 or Audio Research VSi60

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
These 2 IA's are what I would be interested in if I could do an upgrade. Based on your experience with either or both companies and perhaps these specific models as well, what would you recommend and why? Value-wise, I think the MA2275 has a definite edge with more power and it's built-in phonostage (although it's only MM compliant), but that doesn't always tell the whole story. Here are the links to each product:

McIntosh MA2275

Audio Research VSi60

I know there are other variables to take into consideration, such as speakers (Totem Sttaf) and the room (10x11 or thereabouts).

Looking forward to reading your comments, suggestions and recommendation. I didn't want to do a Poll as this is not a prizefight and I don't want to upset fans of either company! ;)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
It is a difficult question John, I like them both. The Mac has a fun factor that the AR cant match, but the AR is a tad more faithfull to the source. I see from your posts that you listen to similar music genres than I do, I would go for the Mac! (but if possible please consider the Acoustic Plan Sitar and Jadis DA60).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
John,
I haven't a clue how either of these two units sound. I own equipment from both companies and have in the past had other McIntosh and a ton of ARC stuff. That VAC unit that one of the other members here just found - not a current production item- looks like the cat's meow to me. I dig the idea of an integrated for a number of reasons. And only having MM on input is cool, because you'll use a stand-alone step up transformer for a low output MC, matched to your cartridge.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'd go for the McIntosh, much more reliable, altough it has slighly more veiled and "rounded" sound...

alexandre

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John,
I haven't a clue how either of these two units sound. I own equipment from both companies and have in the past had other McIntosh and a ton of ARC stuff. That VAC unit that one of the other members here just found - not a current production item- looks like the cat's meow to me. I dig the idea of an integrated for a number of reasons. And only having MM on input is cool, because you'll use a stand-alone step up transformer for a low output MC, matched to your cartridge.

I think it was Keith who found that, and yes....I would jump all over that if I could! My room is small and I think an IA of this caliber is a good all-around choice. I'm not overly concerned about the MM-only phono input as I'm almost a die-hard Grado fan and love their sound. And like you said...a low output MC would work as well.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'd go for the McIntosh, much more reliable, altough it has slighly more veiled and "rounded" sound...

alexandre

I actually prefer that, so thanks for letting me know that difference. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John,
what's the difference in price between the two?

In Canada the MA2275 lists for $4,000, but I can't seem to find an accurate price for the VSi60. I do believe it is closer to $5,000. There's a used VSi60 on US Audio Mart for $3,000.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, I haven't heard the MA2275, but I have heard the VSi60. The VSi60 is a very nice piece, it only falls down somewhat in its high end detail retrieval compared to some of the better tube amps out there. I would put this minor failing on its preamp section. However, i would suggest you take a listen to the VSi60 if you can, it's definitely a major contender. IMHO at the price it can be acquired for used its a real value. BTW, I would second Flez's recommendation above for the Jadis DA60 and add also the Jadis Orchestra.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
integrateds are not necessarily with tubes ;-)

John, I haven't heard the MA2275, but I have heard the VSi60. The VSi60 is a very nice piece, it only falls down somewhat in its high end detail retrieval compared to some of the better tube amps out there. I would put this minor failing on its preamp section. However, i would suggest you take a listen to the VSi60 if you can, it's definitely a major contender. IMHO at the price it can be acquired for used its a real value. BTW, I would second Flez's recommendation above for the Jadis DA60 and add also the Jadis Orchestra.

I had a phase where I loved integrateds: Went through Pathos Twin Towers (TT RR), Einstein the absolute tune, Accuphase E550 to name just the best of them, they could all hold it: I really regret having let go of the Pathos though, sound and looks.
When it just comes to sound, the Accuphase was something equally special, the Einstein was the real killer in terms of being fast and agile, if slightly too nimble with my Merlin speakers, hence Pathos.

If at all you want to widen your spectrum.
In the states, Accuphase does not seem to get that much attention, their Class A integrated I tend to consider the best. (with not too many others ;-)
Otherwise I can always recommend the Berning ZH270, which is why I really don't miss any of those pieces..

Egidius

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
These 2 IA's are what I would be interested in if I could do an upgrade. Based on your experience with either or both companies and perhaps these specific models as well, what would you recommend and why? Value-wise, I think the MA2275 has a definite edge with more power and it's built-in phonostage (although it's only MM compliant), but that doesn't always tell the whole story. Here are the links to each product:

McIntosh MA2275

Audio Research VSi60

I know there are other variables to take into consideration, such as speakers (Totem Sttaf) and the room (10x11 or thereabouts).

Looking forward to reading your comments, suggestions and recommendation. I didn't want to do a Poll as this is not a prizefight and I don't want to upset fans of either company! ;)

Tough call. I have heard both, with totally different speakers. I have heard the McIntosh a bunch of times with Martin Logans. Sounded amazing..

Same for the VSi60. With the KT120 tubes it really is just stunning..heard it with a bunch of speakers including Vandy Treos.

Man it would be a tough decision for me.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Tough call. I have heard both, with totally different speakers. I have heard the McIntosh a bunch of times with Martin Logans. Sounded amazing..

Same for the VSi60. With the KT120 tubes it really is just stunning..heard it with a bunch of speakers including Vandy Treos.

Man it would be a tough decision for me.

I've actually heard the McIntosh with my Totem Sttaf speakers at my dealer and really liked the combo. I would love to find an ARC dealer somewhere local to me that has the VSi60 available for an audition.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

I also know somebody that sold his VSI-60 and replaced it by a Leben CS-600 i was told that the Leben is a much better amp.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Leben is a great amp too. I'd throw in the KR VA900 (KT-120 based) in the same company as far as level of SQ goes. The VA's got a bit more power but John doesn't really need that now since he's change speakers. Maybe if he switches rooms to a bigger one? Maybe, maybe not.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
The Leben is a great amp too. I'd throw in the KR VA900 (KT-120 based) in the same company as far as level of SQ goes. The VA's got a bit more power but John doesn't really need that now since he's change speakers. Maybe if he switches rooms to a bigger one? Maybe, maybe not.

Hey Jack you should like my friend Elrocco system, i think that there is stuff there that you know pretty well. :):):)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes I do know most of the equipment quite well, the Andras and the Jadis DAC too. :)

Is the transport a CEC? Love the industrial design!

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Yes I do know most of the equipment quite well, the Andras and the Jadis DAC too. :)

Is the transport a CEC? Love the industrial design!

Yes it's the TL0-X, you did see those Lams's right, all is cables are Purist Audio Design 38k worth of cables ouch.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I probably would want a bigger amp if I changed to a larger room (about 75% sure I'll do that), but it'll have to take third place behind a tonearm upgrade and phono stage (not sure what order).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing