Tidal Sunrays - My Take

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, i wasn't one of the people to ask for this forum, but may as well take Steve upon on his kindly opening up the channel. I have heard the Tidal Sunrays along with their dual tower subs. I heard it with an all-Tidal amplification system, FM SMaster Ref cabling, Tripoint power conditioner/grounding unit, Stahl-Tek Vekian digital.

Far and away more resolution, more detail, greater depth of perception on the same track than any room i have ever been in. Ever. That includes distributor-set ups of: XLF, TAD Ref One Mk2s, YG Acoustics Anat Ref, SF Strads, CLX, Q5, Thiel Ref model (7?), Hansen Princes. A lot has to do with setup, though each was setup by distributor/manufacturer or some well respected dealers. And the equipment in all cases was the likes of Metronome Kalista Ref, Transp Audio Opus-level cables, Ypsilon Ref mono amps, etc.

But this level of resolution was so extreme (AND effortless at the same time), i really admit i was stunned. I've been fortunate to hear a lot of nice equipment...though i rarely have the time, i make it when i can. When playing a Reference Recordings orchestral piece, i specifically heard 2 things which i had never heard before or realized were part of the recording:

1. The depth of the orchestra finally made me realize the recording could actually show you the number of instruments consistent with the actual number...it spread to each side and behind the speakers about 20' where most systems produced closer to 7-10' depth. As a result of the spacing out...the harpischord actually found its own place consistently throughout the piece. It did not have any other sounds coming from that particularly space...that was impressive in an orchestra.

2. The level of contrapuntal rhythms was remarkably easy to understand...you wonder how did i miss this before? Very cool effect and all about enjoying the musical interplay plus the overriding tune

3. The negatives? When you switch to Clapton, the crowd in the opening of the album (Unplugged) is bright. Definitively bright...i have heard this on too many good systems not to feel that the crowd was properly recorded and natural.

In sum...if only someone could tone down that system a bit. The resolution was so easy, so effortless, it was truly a lesson learned for me about what is possible. Tidals are clearly a big part of this...and it does not hurt to have 2 big sub towers which alleviate bass challenges to the main towers.

That said, i will also say i have a very, very strong sense a large part of this starts with the source...the Stahl-Tek's reputation for this level of detail and effortless delivery (particularly with larger scale orchestral and remain totally in control of each instruments individual identity) is well known by those who've heard it...and without being bright as i have been told. This was first generation...there have been 3 generations since, and apparently it has gotten closer and closer to analogue tape each time.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If it is the same ones I heard last year (CES 2011?), they did sound really nice. One of my favorites of the show.

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
You are actually describing the sound of the Tripoint components.

The tuned-up level of detail and brightness is probably due to the silver interconnects and speaker cables. It can be tuned by preamp choice, tube rolling, or interconnects.

Personally, I don't think a system can play orchestral music with that level of resolution and perspective, along with Clapton in a satisfying manner. I need to make a switch in a pair of tubes in my preamp when going from large scale orchestral/opera to popular music. A system can do both with the proper adjustment.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

The tuned-up level of detail and brightness is probably due to the silver interconnects and speaker cables. It can be tuned by preamp choice, tube rolling, or interconnects.

Personally, I don't think a system can play orchestral music with that level of resolution and perspective, along with Clapton in a satisfying manner. I need to make a switch in a pair of tubes in my preamp when going from large scale orchestral/opera to popular music. A system can do both with the proper adjustment.

I have no problem in my system and I play 15 ips tapes that are even more demanding than the other two mediums. Stravinsky, Yes and Benny Carter all sound superb with resolution and dynamics up the wazoo. I find what you're talking about more related to the speaker and room.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Interesting...i was impressed with the Tripoint Troy...we played around with it so i could understand what it was doing. I dont think my primary observations were related to Tripoint Troy (possibly Tripoint Spartan). I still feel it was Stahl-Tek based on my hearing and what i have read about Stahl-Tek...the Tripoint frees up the equipment and removes haze/shimmer but when we started disconnecting the Tripoint Troy, the extraordinary separation, depth remained. I think it started with the source and was well preserved by the system and the speakers.

That said, i completely agree on cables and said exactly that the dealer...in fact, i specifically said he should try 1 PAD Dominus cable with the Stahl Tek. At the time, i did not know Stahl-Tek was actually affiliated with PAD! I feel even more now that my hunch probably was correct (to my ears and to accomplish what i would have preferred in the system).

Overall, would love to try Tripoint in my own system (and Stahl-Tek).

Last edited:

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I have heard Tidal Audio speakers at several occations myself. To me they are as transparent as any speaker I have heard. I highly doubt they are bright. I would rather attribute that to something else (room, electroincs, cables, electricity, grounding etc). I have not yet heard the new Tidal Audio Agoria which will spawn the next generation Tidal Audio speakers with their new cabinet material Tiralit. I have been told that at this years High End show in Munich they Agoria didin't show its true potential until on the last day, but according to the same sources they played outstandingly on that last day.

All Tidal Audio speakers are designed to be transparent and true to the source by not having a sound of its own. To my ears they are closer than much of the competition.

Thanks,
Roysen

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard Tidal Audio speakers at several occations myself. To me they are as transparent as any speaker I have heard. I highly doubt they are bright. I would rather attribute that to something else (room, electroincs, cables, electricity, grounding etc). I have not yet heard the new Tidal Audio Agoria which will spawn the next generation Tidal Audio speakers with their new cabinet material Tiralit. I have been told that at this years High End show in Munich they Agoria didin't show its true potential until on the last day, but according to the same sources they played outstandingly on that last day.

All Tidal Audio speakers are designed to be transparent and true to the source by not having a sound of its own. To my ears they are closer than much of the competition.

Thanks,
Roysen

Having only listened to them carefully the one time, i can only go by my sense. I sense that I agree about their neutrality...and in particular, i commented to the Dealer that i would prefer to have one change to one cable (power cable into the Stahl-Tek digital) just to see what would happen. Again, it turns out that Stahl-Tek goes with Purist Audio which is what i recommended. I was hoping that it would have alleviated the brightness. (I also have heard the Dealer has since changed to Analog Domain electronics which also removed this brightness.)

In the end, what the system taught me was that as high as my standards are for detail retreival, etc...i learned about my own priorities...i would rather keep the voicing i have at home with less detail...than go for world-beating resolution and have that bit of brightness. Now of course, the BEST of BOTH worlds would be even better...which of course is my goal...but i have my priorities until i get there. ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, i wasn't one of the people to ask for this forum, but may as well take Steve upon on his kindly opening up the channel. I have heard the Tidal Sunrays along with their dual tower subs. I heard it with an all-Tidal amplification system, FM SMaster Ref cabling, Tripoint power conditioner/grounding unit, Stahl-Tek Vekian digital.

Far and away more resolution, more detail, greater depth of perception on the same track than any room i have ever been in. Ever. That includes distributor-set ups of: XLF, TAD Ref One Mk2s, YG Acoustics Anat Ref, SF Strads, CLX, Q5, Thiel Ref model (7?), Hansen Princes. A lot has to do with setup, though each was setup by distributor/manufacturer or some well respected dealers. And the equipment in all cases was the likes of Metronome Kalista Ref, Transp Audio Opus-level cables, Ypsilon Ref mono amps, etc.

But this level of resolution was so extreme (AND effortless at the same time), i really admit i was stunned. I've been fortunate to hear a lot of nice equipment...though i rarely have the time, i make it when i can. When playing a Reference Recordings orchestral piece, i specifically heard 2 things which i had never heard before or realized were part of the recording:

1. The depth of the orchestra finally made me realize the recording could actually show you the number of instruments consistent with the actual number...it spread to each side and behind the speakers about 20' where most systems produced closer to 7-10' depth. As a result of the spacing out...the harpischord actually found its own place consistently throughout the piece. It did not have any other sounds coming from that particularly space...that was impressive in an orchestra.

2. The level of contrapuntal rhythms was remarkably easy to understand...you wonder how did i miss this before? Very cool effect and all about enjoying the musical interplay plus the overriding tune

3. The negatives? When you switch to Clapton, the crowd in the opening of the album (Unplugged) is bright. Definitively bright...i have heard this on too many good systems not to feel that the crowd was properly recorded and natural.

In sum...if only someone could tone down that system a bit. The resolution was so easy, so effortless, it was truly a lesson learned for me about what is possible. Tidals are clearly a big part of this...and it does not hurt to have 2 big sub towers which alleviate bass challenges to the main towers.

That said, i will also say i have a very, very strong sense a large part of this starts with the source...the Stahl-Tek's reputation for this level of detail and effortless delivery (particularly with larger scale orchestral and remain totally in control of each instruments individual identity) is well known by those who've heard it...and without being bright as i have been told. This was first generation...there have been 3 generations since, and apparently it has gotten closer and closer to analogue tape each time.

Wow...Robert...I found your post! Thank you! I think you may be right. I went back to Ref Recordings Vivaldi along with my notes and realized much of what I had heard that day I was now hearing in my system. lower distortion...allowing as much of the true musical details/cues to come thru as individual musical lines/themes. Fantastic.

now a happy owner of Tripoint Troy SE (Tripoint Thor PC)...

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Always enjoy your videos!!! Always!! Thanks for posting.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I don't get this Robert? You mean you pay mega$s for a SOTA system, and it can't be even over different genres? Tube rolling for different albums sounds very like OCD tone control/graphic equaliser management. What happens if you want to listen to Clapton AFTER orchestral - you're going to burn your fingers handling those tubes :( !No offense intended, but if I was going to shell out on such an uber system, I'd expect it to be adept at everything.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing