Very well reviewed unit in the states
looking for a new dac myself , anyone heard one
let me know

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I have the DAC 24/192 and feel it's a great performer at the price. Others who've visited felt likewise. The Femto also has a volume control and is switchable between various digital inputs, so you may opt to use it without a preamp for a digital-only system. I know I didn't answer your question exactly, but Calyx is new enough in the USA that not many of us have seen them.

Lee

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
I have the DAC 24/192 and feel it's a great performer at the price. Others who've visited felt likewise. The Femto also has a volume control and is switchable between various digital inputs, so you may opt to use it without a preamp for a digital-only system. I know I didn't answer your question exactly, but Calyx is new enough in the USA that not many of us have seen them.

Lee

thanks for your comments lee
finally setting up 2nd system for digital for ripped cds & 24/96 & 24/192khz downloads
4,000 cds to rip , should be done by xmas 2013
thinking on the calyx dac via usb from laptop using the digital volume on the remote
balanced Xlr then into a lovely pair of the new graham slee proprius micro monoblocks which have speaker brackets to mount on back of my speakers
25wpc tiny 105mm wide x 55mm high x 205mm deep , sound like a mini pair of krells

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/power-amp.htm

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
www.soundstagenetwork.com

oscarnr

Oct 4, 2012
Hello everybody. This is my first post.

Doug, how could you compare Calyx femto to Eximus DP1 (that I own and I think that you too)

Thanks.

Oscar.

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
Hi,

The reviews should give you a sense of that. The Femto is the better DAC in terms of refinement and resolution. It is more than 2X the DP1's price, though.

Doug Schneider
The SoundStage! Network

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
thanks for the heads up doug , borrowed a femto from a local dealer
plugged in my labtop and played some ripped cds and a few 24/96 24/192khz downloads
Its not going back , sounds lovely , just need to sort out a server / nas / pc & try something like jriver

o
Hello,

I just reviewed the DAC 24/192 and Femto on SoundStageXperience.com and SoundStageHiFi.com, respectively. Here are links for both. If I were to buy a new DAC today, the Femto would be the one -- it's special.

DAC 24/192: http://www.soundstagexperience.com/...x-audio-dac-24192-digital-to-analog-converter

Femto: http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index...nverter&catid=55:full-length-reviews&Itemid=4

Doug Schneider
SoundStage! Network

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
Hello,

I just reviewed the DAC 24/192 and Femto on SoundStageXperience.com and SoundStageHiFi.com, respectively. Here are links for both. If I were to buy a new DAC today, the Femto would be the one -- it's special.

DAC 24/192: http://www.soundstagexperience.com/...x-audio-dac-24192-digital-to-analog-converter

Femto: http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index...nverter&catid=55:full-length-reviews&Itemid=4

Doug Schneider
SoundStage! Network

Thanks,
it looks interesting..

How does it compare to Weiss DAC202 sound-wise?

thanks,

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Never actually heard the weiss dac michael , both around the $7,000 mark
my dealer said not much between the two in performance but the femto is brand new design
lowest jitter , femtoseconds not really sure what this is , lower than picoseconds
Never bother with measurements myself always use my ears

huge chunky milled billet enclosure , every input you could ever need , solid metal remote , superb build quality
& comes in black to match my other gear , sounded better with a dfpc signature power cord from lessloss

friend owns a recording studio , played some 24/96 files of a local rock band
and acoustic guitar & some uncompressed jazz fretless bass , really superb

sounds great , build great , looks great , so now sitting on my rack

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
It does sound like an excellent performer. It is also interesting to see Doug's comment here in regards to sonic differences between Femto vs. AM DP1 first hand. I have always thought the DP1 was going to me last PCM DAC, but it seems the bar has been raised.

We are living in a pinnacle of audio development period with so many SOTA choices. So, I wish the next Femto version would add the DSD-over-USB functionality. It will then force me to open my wallet as well.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
dealer told me the femto can do above 24bits , 32bits and DSD
but they decided not to include these features and optimise the unit for digital that is actually on the market
Ripped 16/44 cds and 24/96 & 24/192khz downloads not much DSD out on the market
99% i will be using good old ripped red book stuff anyway 24bit downloads are same price as vinyl and you have no copyright or physical copy
If they made these for well under $10bucks would buy them & the selection of hirez downloads is still very poor plinky plonky audiophile stuff
Not decent real music

acadie

Aug 22, 2011
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Well, I just bought the Calyx Femto last week. It has been playing in the system 24/7 since Friday. Well, this unit does sound great. It is head and shoulder above the Bryston BDA-1 it replaced. It surpassed my expectations I had.

I am using a Bryston BDP-1 with the Calyx.

I was debating between the Sim Audio Evolution 650D and the Calyx. Glad I picked the Calyx and save myself $2000.

Doug's review or any of the other reviews are dead on. I was surprise on how heavy this unit is.

Basile Noel
Ottawa

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
Hello,

Doug Schneider
SoundStage! Network

Doug

The review was an interesting read. Have you, out of interest, had a chance to listen to other similarly price DACs (e.g., Meitner MA-1, Bricasti, ...)? And, if so, then what was the conclusion?

Zydeco

David

Aug 11, 2012
Doug

The review was an interesting read. Have you, out of interest, had a chance to listen to other similarly price DACs (e.g., Meitner MA-1, Bricasti, ...)? And, if so, then what was the conclusion?

Zydeco

Hi,

I'm interested to kow too how the calyx femto DAC sounds VS Meitner MA1 or other DAC as Emmlabs DAC2x / Playback Designs MPD3 or 5 / MSB Technology DAC IV Platinium or new Analog DAC / Metronome Technology C5 or C8 ...

Thanks

david

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Do know about usa pricing on the femto But thousands cheaper than the bricasti meitner and most others mentioned on this thread
I could of went on a month cruise with difference in pricing
If i can help save any members save a few thousand dollars

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
I apologize for not seeing the questions directed to me earlier

I have not compared the Femto anything from Meitner or Bricasti, but I'm hoping to get a Meitner product in in 2013.

Basile, VERY interesting to see you picked up a Femto -- email me your impressions of it now that you've had it for a time.

Thanks!

Doug Schneider

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
my dealer said not much between the two in performance but the femto is brand new design
lowest jitter , femtoseconds not really sure what this is , lower than picoseconds

This is only a clever way of marketing a low phase noise clocks they are using. If you measure the DAC as a whole, the jitter figures will be much greater, as clocks are only a part of a greater whole.

There are other companies that use those clocks as well - MSB and BADA spring to mind.

Silvertone

Jan 14, 2013
Comparisons

Has anyone compared this DAC to any of the DCS products, e.g. Debussy DAC?

Can anyone comment on how musical this DAC is?

Thanks!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing