Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: VPI Record Weight

  1. #11
    Addicted to Best! jcmusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Just Outside New Orleans, La.
    Posts
    387
    Myles you are talking about the $150 one that kinda looks like the ring??? If so please explain how it can improve the sound any more than the screw down one???
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Yes the metal weight designed 2 b used with the claml.

  2. #12
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmusic View Post
    Myles you are talking about the $150 one that kinda looks like the ring??? If so please explain how it can improve the sound any more than the screw down one???
    Hi Jay,

    It does. I don't know why but it does The new clamp is heavier, is made of a differernt material and possibly deal with the energy created at the stylus interface differently? I told you a while back about another clamp made of a different material and it certainly changes the sound.

    Suggest asking HW for more info

  3. #13
    Addicted to Best! jcmusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Just Outside New Orleans, La.
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Hi Jay,

    It does. I don't know why but it does The new clamp is heavier, is made of a differernt material and possibly deal with the energy created at the stylus interface differently? I told you a while back about another clamp made of a different material and it certainly changes the sound.

    Suggest asking HW for more info
    Myles,
    I think that VPI or any other manufactor would tell you what ever to sell you another of their products, that's why I'd rather hear it from others.

    Jay

  4. #14
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmusic View Post
    Myles,
    I think that VPI or any other manufactor would tell you what ever to sell you another of their products, that's why I'd rather hear it from others.

    Jay


    Jay:

    Possibly but anyone who knows Harry Weisfeld knows he's a straight shooter. Take a look at his responses over at TAS's website to analog fans. He's honest to a fault and will tell you why he chose the route he did to design his tables-and how the different options available help to better integrate his table into different systems.

    It's been a long time since I got the clamp/ring but it definitely sounded better than the plastic screw down clamp. This was in part what I wrote about it in an old review at PFO:

    Now keeping that cartridge platform stable while playing an LP is far easier said than done. Enter the Scoutmaster's peripheral clamping ring and clamp. While not exactly a new concept, this clamping system elevates the Scoutmaster turntable to a true heavyweight division contender. Transparency is dramatically improved. Instruments are more focused and three-dimensional. Macrodynamics hook you. Most of all, the 'table's noise floor hits the canvas.

    Yet, there was a chink in the table's armor. No matter what LP was spun, the microdynamics, otherwise known to musicians as dynamic accents, were not right. The music was just a touch too laid back. Was this another case of ridding some colorations and producing an overdamped sound? Could readjusting the cartridge's VTA restore the missing microdynamics? After all, it's very easy to use VTA as a tone control. First, the VTA was dropped with no luck. Next, the VTA was raised. Bingo! The missing microdynamics were restored.

  5. #15
    Jay: you have a very sad outlook toward people. I am sorry for you and what ever took you there. How do you think you would feel toward a customer of yours who came to you with your own attitude? Kind of a self defeating situation don't you think? Before you get defensive answer me this. If you don't trust the maker of your turntable enough to even ask him for honest advice concerning his own product why did you buy the turntable in the first place? What is the point of dealing with people that you don't trust?
    VPI have a good reason to treat you with honesty you are after all one of their customers and they would like to keep you as such. While people here are wiling to provide friendly and heplpful assistance they don't have any investment in you one way or the other they provide their opinions only based upon personal experiences. You seem to put more faith in the man on the street than you do in the maker of your TT. A part of what you pay for when you make a purchase is the support of the manufacturer. If they fail to provide you with quality support then tell them and tell them that you are taking your business else where. Don't come on a public forum and suggest that "so and so would sell his mother for a quarter" because that is what you have done.. Sorry to be such a heavy but this one really pushes a button for me. Regards Moray James.

  6. #16
    Addicted to Best! jcmusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Just Outside New Orleans, La.
    Posts
    387
    Moray,
    Let me say this, firstly you don't even know me and secondly you are intitled to your opinion as am I. You have gotten into and tried to hijack this thread by attacking me as a person. I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you nor am I going to take anything from you either!!! I would hardly consider anyone on this forum a man on the street, the good folks here are very knowledgeable and that's why I trust them. Also if you get a concensus of opinions the numbers usually don't lie. Good luck to you in the future with your so perfect of a life, and for god sakes come out of that bubble you live in!!!

    Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by moray james View Post
    Jay: you have a very sad outlook toward people. I am sorry for you and what ever took you there. How do you think you would feel toward a customer of yours who came to you with your own attitude? Kind of a self defeating situation don't you think? Before you get defensive answer me this. If you don't trust the maker of your turntable enough to even ask him for honest advice concerning his own product why did you buy the turntable in the first place? What is the point of dealing with people that you don't trust?
    VPI have a good reason to treat you with honesty you are after all one of their customers and they would like to keep you as such. While people here are wiling to provide friendly and heplpful assistance they don't have any investment in you one way or the other they provide their opinions only based upon personal experiences. You seem to put more faith in the man on the street than you do in the maker of your TT. A part of what you pay for when you make a purchase is the support of the manufacturer. If they fail to provide you with quality support then tell them and tell them that you are taking your business else where. Don't come on a public forum and suggest that "so and so would sell his mother for a quarter" because that is what you have done.. Sorry to be such a heavy but this one really pushes a button for me. Regards Moray James.

  7. #17
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    8,560
    I think manufacturers/distributors/dealers almost have a duty to promote the products they represent, after all their companies are the ones proving them with a cheque at the end of the week. However, and its a big however, that doesn't mean alternatives shouldn't be offered up when it makes sense. When this happens it sends a message to the user that signals one of understanding your needs and requirements. I appreciate this kind of informed and truthful diagnosis by them, and I am more likely to revisit that dealer for my next upgrade. Unfortunately, I haven't come across a lot of them.

    John
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

  8. #18
    Addicted to Best! jcmusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Just Outside New Orleans, La.
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
    I think manufacturers/distributors/dealers almost have a duty to promote the products they represent, after all their companies are the ones proving them with a cheque at the end of the week. However, and its a big however, that doesn't mean alternatives shouldn't be offered up when it makes sense. When this happens it sends a message to the user that signals one of understanding your needs and requirements. I appreciate this kind of informed and truthful diagnosis by them, and I am more likely to revisit that dealer for my next upgrade. Unfortunately, I haven't come across a lot of them.

    John
    John,
    I agree with you on this.

    Jay

  9. #19
    Jay I asked you to answer a question before you got defensive on me. Question stands. I guess that we will have to agree disagree. I don't know you but I do know that I would not want to do business with anyone who came to the table with your stated attitude. Without giving reason you have publically called into question the integrity of a fine company which is well respected in the audio community. I stand by my comments.

  10. #20
    Addicted to Best! jcmusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Just Outside New Orleans, La.
    Posts
    387
    Moray,
    Yea me and a million other people have as you say called out a very fine co. Because I didn't state a reason doesn't mean I didn't have one. Further, again you attacked me by saying something about my attitude of which you know nothing about!! Tell me just what is your problem? You continue to post in a thread that I started to aquire some info but, you have yet to offer any!!! If you don't have any info why not just stay out of this thread.

    Jay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What Tonearm Adorns Your VPI?
    By MylesBAstor in forum VPI Turntables and Tonearms Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-23-2014, 01:25 PM
  2. VPI Owners
    By MylesBAstor in forum VPI Turntables and Tonearms Forum
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 05:41 AM
  3. For Sale: VPI TNT and SDS
    By mep in forum Buy and Sell Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
  4. VPI platter wobbling
    By ack in forum VPI Turntables and Tonearms Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
  5. New Shake Weight Review ;)
    By MylesBAstor in forum Health And Fitness Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •